Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace eBay: Witco Bar & Stools for under $500
eBay: Witco Bar & Stools for under $500
Luki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-11 06:40 am   Permalink

Not my auction but just saw it this morning. Buy it now price for the set is $375. Pickup in MA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-TIKI-Bar-STOOLS-by-WITCO-Elivis-Jungle-Room-MID-CENTURY-Chainsaw-Art-/130833361591?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

View Profile of Luki Send a personal message to Luki  Goto the website of Luki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-11 4:28 pm   Permalink

That's in nice shape, but I've got nowhere to put it.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-11 6:42 pm   Permalink

AGAIN folks: That's just a generic, slightly Conquistador-style bar - why would anybody wanna put that in a Tiki environment?

Witco did cheap hacked wood stuff en masse, BUT they had a definite genius in their Tiki/African and in their modernist lines - anything beyond is really not that amazing.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 05:43 am   Permalink

since I do not know what happened to the original
ebay listing(not mine by the way)
Here is a pic of mine;

GOOGLE;
CONQUISTADOR carving style
SPANISH carving style
MAORI carving style
I think, even though Will and The Boys called it 'Conquistador'/'Hacienda' back in 'The Day',it looks more Maori(style) to me then the other two.(styles)
Thus, making it 'More' than acceptable in any Home 'TIKI BAR'

(FULL disclosure here,I have about a doz. of those bar stools for sale)

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2013-01-15 05:48 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-11 18:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
AGAIN folks: That's just a generic, slightly Conquistador-style bar - why would anybody wanna put that in a Tiki environment?

What does it matter what someone puts in their home bar? I never understood this thought concept...decorate how you like..its YOUR bar.

And anywasy, its the drink making that matters!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-01-15 08:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-15 08:18, SandraDee wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-11 18:42, bigbrotiki wrote:

What does it matter what someone puts in their home bar? I never understood this thought concept...decorate how you like..its YOUR bar.

And anywasy, its the drink making that matters!

I think the point here is that just because it's Witco doesn't mean it's Tiki. At least Tiki David points out that it can be suggestive of a Maori style. Of course Sandra Dee, people can decorate their home bar however they want. If you like that kind of look Go For It! Just don't call it Tiki, that's all.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 10:03 am   Permalink

On top of that, even for Conquistador style (I personally don't think it's Maori), it simply is not a very inspired piece, design-wise.

I feel a responsibility because I wrote the books that started the run on Witco, and now people think uniformly "If it is Witco, it must be good!". Well it's not that easy. Witco did a lot of crap that I never would have put in my book. In fact, "crap" is what Witco was viewed as as a whole before I pointed out that its Tiki and modernist lines had some real creative genius and humor in them.

I am merely encouraging folks to differentiate and use their eyes and minds to make educated judgements.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 12:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-15 10:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
On top of that, even for Conquistador style (I personally don't think it's Maori), it simply is not a very inspired piece, design-wise.

I feel a responsibility because I wrote the books that started the run on Witco, and now people think uniformly "If it is Witco, it must be good!". Well it's not that easy. Witco did a lot of crap that I never would have put in my book. In fact, "crap" is what Witco was viewed as as a whole before I pointed out that its Tiki and modernist lines had some real creative genius and humor in them.

I am merely encouraging folks to differentiate and use their eyes and minds to make educated judgements.

Agreed. It's no different that differentiating between good modern tiki, and bad modern tiki. Just because it's tiki, doesn't mean it's good. Ahem *hewhoshallnotbenamed* Not everyone is a winner, and although Witco produced some rather lovely pieces, they also produced some that looked like they were carved while on a week long mescaline bender, which, considering the time period, might very well have been possible.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 07:16 am   Permalink

I kinda like it's simplistic, hacked look. I wouldn't use it in a Tiki environment, but maybe in the corner of a MCM den.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 6:12 pm   Permalink

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available...

What a pity I can't see the stuff.

View Profile of Polly Send a personal message to Polly  Goto the website of Polly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 8:44 pm   Permalink

I have said it before & I will say it again, most Witco is ugly as hell
and fits in perfectly in a Pimps 1970s living room!
not all of it, but most of it.

The Fire Dancers for example & the MCM works look good in a Tiki bar because it evokes
the late 50s & early 60s design aesthetic.

The main point is just because you might like something, It still does not make it Tiki.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation