[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: Blackstrap Rum Recipes
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Recipe: Blackstrap Rum Recipes
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 08:36 am   Permalink

Hey, would anyone like to share recipes involving Blackstrap Rum? I've used it for the Corn n' Oil and have searched this forum and have mainly just found Blackstrap mentioned as an accent/floater/etc. I'd like to see recipes where it's used more liberally, if that's possible (and why not?) Thanks!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-16 10:43 am   Permalink

I think there's a drink that uses Gosling's black seal and a ginger beer. Dark and Stormy, IIRC? Off the top of my head, I can't recall any other recipes that use Blackstrap or anything like it.

Personally, I like using it as a float because it's got a really nice flavor (use it in a rum and coke for example-- the difference is amazing!), but you also don't want to overdo it. I imagine part of the reason that you don't see it used a lot of other ways is because it's so strong, flavor-wise. In addition to potential issues with the rum overpowering other ingredients, it may be hard to balance the overall tone of the drink afterward.

On a tangential note, the only recipe I can think of that calls for molasses is gingerbread. Maybe ginger balances the molasses flavor really well (and that's why a dark and stormy uses ginger beer)?

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 2:00 pm   Permalink

Here's one from Cruzan itself:

''Black Strap Sour''
2 oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz lime juice
1/4 oz simple syrup

Shake with ice and pour into a glass.

Personally, I sometimes use it as one of the three rums in a Navy Grog

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-16 2:28 pm   Permalink

A few I've tried and enjoyed...

Dirt 'n' Diesel (Cale Green, Tavern Law)-
2 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
1/2 oz Fernet Branca
1/2 oz demerara syrup
1/4 oz Cynar
1/4 oz lime juice

Shake with ice, strain, lime wedge garnish.

Black Flip (Jim Meehan, PDT) -
2 oz Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (can't get that where I live, I use Young's)
1 1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1/2 oz demerara syrup
1 whole egg

Dry shake, shake with ice, strain, garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

Penguin in Bondage (don't remember where I found this one but it is tasty)-
1 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
1 oz Fernet Branca
1 oz falernum
1/3 oz (2 tsp) lime juice
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake with ice, strain over fresh ice, top with 3 oz ginger beer.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-16 2:30 pm   Permalink

Using Blackstrap in a Dark and Stormy is much better than the Goslings IMHO.
I use Blackstrap rum and Cock n' Bull Gingerbeer.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 8:16 pm   Permalink

not a fan of blackstrap myself, much prefer gosling's or a dark jamaican. if you like blackstrap i'd say use it in any recipe calling for dark jamaican rum.

re dark and stormy- my preference is Gosling's black seal and DG brand jamaican ginger beer.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 07:28 am   Permalink

Thanks guys. Never been a fan of Goslings, so I'll definitely try subbing the blackstrap for it in the above recipes.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 10:18 am   Permalink

Just found our topic mentioned online as a hip bartender's secret weapon:

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2013/01/cocktail-secret-ingredients-that-bartenders-use.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nymag%2Fgrubstreet+%28Grub+Street+-+nymag.com%27s+Food+and+Restaurant+Blog%29

alcoholexpert

Posted: 2013-11-12 10:07 am   Permalink

Top secret recipes.

http://www.alcoholdrinkrecipes.net/

[ This Message was edited by: alcoholexpert 2013-11-12 10:10 ]

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - fixed link - 2013-11-12 18:52 ]

View Profile of alcoholexpert Send a personal message to alcoholexpert      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-12 2:45 pm   Permalink

I will definitely give several of the recipes in this thread a spin.

90% of the Cruzan Blackstrap at home goes into Corn&Oils. Paired with good homemade Falernum I think this rum was pretty much made for this cocktail. A few years ago I was mixing up a lot of Blackstrap Mai Tais using key limes in place of Persian and Cruzan Blackstrap as one of the combo rums. Had to punch up the orgeat and/or simple to get the right balance but it made a very good Mai Tai incarnation.

This one was the winner of the Forbidden Island Cocktail Contest a few years ago and is pretty good, though I haven't made it in a couple of years.

Blackstrap Betty

* 1 ½ oz Cruzan Single Barrel
* ½ oz lime juice
* ½ oz Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
* 3 oz Pineapple Juice
* ¼ oz Koko Cream ( = Coco Lopez)
* ¼ oz Licor 43

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-12 3:15 pm   Permalink

Blackheart's Punch (by way of Hogo's in DC and Trader Tiki), proportions guesstimate

2 oz. Blackstrap rum
1/2 oz. cinnamon syrup
1 lime
top off with Fever Tree Tonic

Juice lime and shake first three ingredients, pour into tall cocktail glass with crushed ice, top off with Fever Tree tonic water (this brand really does make a difference, IMHO). A good variant is to sub Don's Mix for the cinnamon syrup.

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-13 10:06 am   Permalink

Cinnamon syrup is an interesting direction, though I'd imagine cutting the blackstrap 50/50 with another rum might be (even) better, will try it.

Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-13 10:38 am   Permalink

I'm not usually a fan of Blackstrap, but the tonic and cinnamon in that cut it enough to make it work, especially if you are generous with the tonic. I'll have to try your idea of going 50/50 on the rum with another non-molasses one...good idea.

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-13 10:41 am   Permalink

I'm not usually a fan of Blackstrap, but the tonic and cinnamon in that cut it enough to make it work, especially if you are generous with the tonic. I'll have to try your idea of going 50/50 on the rum with another non-molasses one...good idea.

Tied by my Mai Tai...

Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-13 11:23 am   Permalink

Corn N Oil all day long!

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation