FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge What to do in Palm Springs?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What to do in Palm Springs?
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 12:46 pm   Permalink

Well, I have been to Palm Springs a handful of times (despite living fairly close) but never took the time to really explore it....so now I am coming to you people, and especially chaps like Rory Wildsville and others who are from there to see what's what....

My birthday is coming up, and my twin sisters too, of course, and we decided to go and take a tour of all the MCM homes, rock hudson place, shag store, and of course the bars and restaurants...this will be in February...so....

exactly where will I find the best Mid century Modern houses? Street names? And which restaurant and bars are places you would recommend? My Mom and sister are going, and they are super highbow and hoity-toity....meaning, they like real classy food, etc...

recomendations, anyone?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 1:12 pm   Permalink

Lucas, I have a Mid-Mod landmark map of PS.

I'll bring it to Don's this Saturday.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-01-17 13:13 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-17 13:12, JOHN-O wrote:
Lucas, I have a Mid-Mod landmark map of PS.

I'll bring it to Don's this Saturday.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-01-17 13:13 ]

Man, that would be AWESOME! Also, knowing you are a foodie, if you have any suggestions of places to eat....that would be appreciated to!

The place I like is called Blue Coyote, but I have rather pedestrian tastes compared to my family....have you been there?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 1:30 pm   Permalink

Lyons English Grill and Melvyn's are mid-century awesome !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 2:39 pm   Permalink

Yes, Melvyn's is dress up fancy and old school and $$$$$
we went there for our last trip to PS, food is very good
Sinatra hung out there, Sherman's Deli is an old school deli (Great for lunch) where the Rat Pack used to hang
as well as all the Mid Century Architects who worked & visited PS etc.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 2:56 pm   Permalink

Not sure what the status is of this place....

TikiCentral: Buddy Greco's Dinner Club

Still listings of it if you do search but no current reviews

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 3:43 pm   Permalink

Well, let me clarify....my family likes artsy-fartsy joints to eat at...not classy old school places, if that makes sense....like for example, my Mom never liked the Arches in newport beach, but she likes places such as Zov's Bistro.

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-01-17 15:45 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 4:18 pm   Permalink

Can't help you out with artsy fartsy.

If you want BBQ or burgers in PS, ask BTD, there's a couple of places he's always raving about but I've never been.

If you want to go on a guided Mid-Mod tour in a mini-van, the following is recommended...

http://www.palmspringsmoderntours.com

I think this is where I got that map.

And why did this thread get moved to Bilge ?? !!

How is this thread any different from all of the generic Hawaii travel threads that get posted there. Palms Springs is more "Tiki" than Hawaii is !!

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-17 4:23 pm   Permalink

How about Trio? It's artsy-fartsy. I haven't been, but my parents have.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 8:35 pm   Permalink

Don't overlook the (great looking) Visitor's Center - I got a map of the Stars' Homes there a few years ago. The staff were really good - we told them what we were interested in and they marked it all out on a map for us.

I don't remember the exact names, but there are other neighborhoods with cool homes detailed here on TC; If I remember correctly, there are a bunch of Wexler homes near the Visitor Center, and a more Hawaiian-style neighborhood near the Parker Hotel (a bit East of Caliente Tropics.)

I am entirely non hoity-toity, but once had breakfast at Norma's at the Parker. It was, by far, the most expensive breakfast I've ever had. But also delicious.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 9:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-17 20:35, bamalamalu wrote:
Don't overlook the (great looking) Visitor's Center - I got a map of the Stars' Homes there a few years ago. The staff were really good - we told them what we were interested in and they marked it all out on a map for us.

I don't remember the exact names, but there are other neighborhoods with cool homes detailed here on TC; If I remember correctly, there are a bunch of Wexler homes near the Visitor Center, and a more Hawaiian-style neighborhood near the Parker Hotel (a bit East of Caliente Tropics.)

I am entirely non hoity-toity, but once had breakfast at Norma's at the Parker. It was, by far, the most expensive breakfast I've ever had. But also delicious.

The visitor center is something I was thinking about.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-18 4:11 pm   Permalink

La Vallauris and Spenser's both very good.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-22 6:30 pm   Permalink

Take them to Sunnylands Center and Gardens.
http://blog.modernismweek.com/the-guide/tours/
Designed by A. Quincy Jones in the mid 60s for Walter and Leonore Annenberg, Sunnylands is arguably one of the only purely modernist estates in the United States. Many key figures of the 20th century enjoyed relaxing as guests at Sunnylands. The list includes seven U.S. presidents, the British royal family, and Hollywood icons like Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Stewart, Ginger Rogers, and many others.
http://sunnylands.org

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 9:31 pm   Permalink

LV, Hope I'm not too late but I recently stayed at the Riviera hotel up at the north end of town. The lobby is pure excess 50's and the Sidebar lounge is supercool for drinks. The restaurant( I forget the name) was excellent though pricy and I think Le Vallauris never disappoints. My all time Favorite use to be Europa at the Bella Royale but they changed owners recently and Matt, the Maitre 'd at Europa is now at Melvins. I would place Melvin's and the Rivera's restaurant on the same level and I would also call it a "tie" in regard to their respective bars. Maybe a slight edge to Melvin's cuz thet have a piano and the singer was singing "standards". I didn't order tropical drinks at any of these places-just whiskies and martini's.
Have fun!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-11 21:36 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 10:43 pm   Permalink

Don't bother with tropical cocktails & go with vintage/classic cocktails at any of those places

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation