Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki inauguration
Tiki inauguration
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-21 11:18 pm   Permalink

Because of the president's Hawaiaan roots, there was at least one cocktail venue in D.C. which hosted for Inauguration Day a special Luau and cocktail menu. I decided to present these photos, in a non-partisan frame of mind. D.C. doesn't have a formal tiki bar, so it was good to see this tiki event raise its head this week.

The Jack Rose is a fairly new place, just under 2 years old, which has a very good cocktail menu that I visit often. I was pleased that they decided to reach into the tiki spirit for the evening.

Here is the promo poster for the event

A portion of the menu for the evening - perhaps the first time I've seen 'inauguration' and 'tiki cocktails' so close together

A pair of mai-tais - very good

Also serving roast pig - so good I ordered the pig platter twice!

The evening also featured a pair of luau dancers handing out leis. The event was held in an upstairs open-air bar, when the temperature was pretty damn chilly, dipping down to near freezing for the evening. These two certainly appreciated the fireplace. (The Hot Zombie was also a good cocktail for the evening - better than a traditional Hot-buttered rum)

If the tiki spirit can make it to D.C. in January, hopefully it will make its appearance again in other venues, both cold and warm.

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 03:45 am   Permalink

This was a very warming post, thanks for sharing!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-28 12:58 pm   Permalink

Awesome! So awesome that I'm bummed I didn't know about this sooner! Definitely adding Jack Rose to my list of places to try. Thanks!

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-29 3:07 pm   Permalink

That was very cool! Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation