Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food molds for ice
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
molds for ice
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-01-23 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-23 04:09, AceExplorer wrote:
...And for certain drinks I have switched to using ball molds now. ... There are a lot of crappy ones being sold, and I had to invest about $100 until I settled on a brand of ball molds that work "mostly" well and didn't leak and had a good size.)

And what brand was that?

edited title to encompass more than just silicone molds.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2013-01-23 14:31 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 12:35 pm   Permalink

Forget silicone.
The best molds money can buy that don't involve mass amounts of $$$ and aluminum are the Tovolo Molds:
http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-80-9697-Sphere-Ice-Molds/dp/B007ACTN54

They can also be purchased locally at any Sur La Table.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 1:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks - I'm on it

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 1:37 pm   Permalink

Side note, the nice thing about these, is that it's $9 for 2. If you have a bunch of people over for booze, it makes it feasible to have 8 ice balls ready to go. And if you want an exceptionally clear ball, use distilled water. And try not to push down hard on the lid. Very gentle. And don't overfill, you end up with an air bubble at the top.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 2:28 pm   Permalink

I just have two of those molds and find that it is easy to make multiple ice balls in short order since they freeze quickly. I make them up a day ahead of time and store them in a Ziplock freezer bag so they don't sublime. That way I always have them on hand.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 4:47 pm   Permalink

If you'd like to get the full aluminum ice ball experience, your best bet is from here:

http://www.japantrendshop.com/ice-ball-mold-for-perfect-ice-spheres-p-244.html

I've heard good things about that one, and you can't beat the price when compared to other more expensive aluminum ones. If you want it laser engraved, you can always send it my way.

(Edit: Okay, so that makes a TINNNY one.)

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-01-23 16:57 ]

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-24 10:23 am   Permalink

I have this set that you can get from the MOMA store:

http://www.momastore.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_Spherical-Ice-Tray-Set_10451_10001_57253_-1_26669_26670

I have some of the silicone ones, but when I go to dump them out, they always seem to have evaporated. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, since they look exactly like the MOMA ones, but in silicone.

My wife found some single ball molds that are a bit smaller at World Market or some such place. They are handy because you can distribute them in the nooks and crannies of your freezer and thus avoid having to set aside a section of your freezer for ice balls only.

And as much as I envy the good metal ones, there's just no way I can spend that kind of money on an ice maker without the words "conspicuous consumption" screaming in my brain. Would love to get one as a gift, though!

And the clarity aspect of ice comes from how it freezes, not with what kind of water you have.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-24 1:51 pm   Permalink

I just found something that talked about the way it freezes.

I've read tons of articles on the purity of the water in relation to clarity.
I'll be damned.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-24 9:15 pm   Permalink

My mind is full of useless trivia that may or may not be true. As I remember it is the dissolved air that causes cloudiness, not the impurities. That boiling the water frees that dissolved air and gives you clear ice. I'm not saying it's true - just that's how I remember it

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-24 9:39 pm   Permalink

The trick to making clear ice is to heat the water till it's boiling. Let the temperature drop off just a bit, then pour it in your ice cube trays, molds, whatever, and put in the freezer. Apparently, this releases much of the trapped air, which otherwise "whitens" the ice.

I guess it's sort of like how humidity in the air condenses out as dew, when the air becomes too cold and dense to hold that much water vapor (the "dew point"). Similarly, as the temperature of the water approaches freezing, it can no longer "hold" all the the dissolved air, and it is "squeezed out" in lots of tiny bubbles that give the ice a cloudy, white appearance. Drive out the air with boiling, then quickly freeze,and you get clear ice.

Edit: MDM and I were apparently responding at the same time... and making the same "Mr. Wizard"
point. But I took longer, because I had to go make a drink, in the middle of my post, and I always over re-write and edit myself, before hitting, "Submit".
(You remember right, Mike - it's true.)

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-01-24 21:55 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-25 04:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-23 11:30, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-23 04:09, AceExplorer wrote:
...And for certain drinks I have switched to using ball molds now. ... There are a lot of crappy ones being sold, and I had to invest about $100 until I settled on a brand of ball molds that work "mostly" well and didn't leak and had a good size.)

And what brand was that?

edited title to encompass more than just silicone molds.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2013-01-23 14:31 ]

Haka, thanks for creating the new thread for ice molds. Here is a write-up on what I've been using, and my thoughts on what I've tried. Round ice is definitely very impressive. It appears that very few people in the general public seem to know about it yet, and when you serve a drink with a large single ball, it makes a good and unique impression. I do recommend adding these to your repertoire if you're looking for a little extra flair.

First I bought "Final Touch" silicone molds, they make 2" balls, come in a pack of six, and the cost is about $20. The bases come in bright colors although this is something your guests are not likely to see. They work well, seal very nicely and don't leak, and the ice pops out easily from the molds.

Second, when I learned there were 2.5" molds available, I decided that would look and probably work better in certain glassware like in a double old-fashioned glass. I found 2.5" molds by Mastrad who is based in Paris, France. They come in packs of four at a cost of about $20 along with a stacking tray to save space in your freezer if you have more than one set. I figured that the French take their cooking and kitchen stuff seriously, so this must be an awesome product. I was wrong. I bought four sets of these big boys (about $80 plus shipping) and discovered that they were less than what I expected. The failure rate was high -- about half the ice balls would not hold water well. I literally had to take all of them at the same time, fill them with water in my kitchen sinks, then let them sit overnight to determine which ones were "leakers." Then I switched tops back and forth to determine if it was just a funky combination of certain tops with certain bases. I had mixed success and ended up calling the seller to return two of the four as defective. The seller was very understanding and let me keep the defective product and shipped two more brand-new sets. (I bought the Mastrad molds based on "best price" from a small kitchen store with a web site, somewhere in or around New York. I got lucky - they had awesome customer service and their name escapes me because they eventually stopped emailing me their ads. A web search indicates they don't sell these anymore or may have gone out of business.)

My conclusion? The Final Touch 2" molds work very well. The 2.5" molds are bigger and seem to be the ideal size for most things, but the Mastrad brand quality is very disappointing. But if you buy enough of 'em you'll end up with a good set of non-leakers.

I saw the other very pricey aluminum molds for sale, but I don't think those are worthwhile. While they make very nice ice, I think they are way too labor intensive. It's nice to use silicone, put them in your freezer overnight, and then you have all your work done for you by the next morning.

I experimented with ice clarity and I tried different kinds of water -- tap, softened, distilled, boiled and cooled, water at various heated temperatures, and water which I let "rest" overnight in an open container covered with a thin cloth. In all cases I did not produce perfectly clear ice, so I eventually gave up trying and was completely satisfied with the round semi-clear ice. Clear ice is impressive, but I haven't found a way to make it in my molds yet. I found that my guests don't care about ice clarity in mixed cocktails, but if you're serving a single spirit on the rocks in a short and clear glass it would make a visual and impressive difference.

Fortunately both my successes and my failures drove me to drink and I definitely came out ahead in the end. Lower-end ice mold performance likely varies greatly from one brand to the next, and I consider them "experimental" because they can be temperamental. I recommend buying one set and testing before you commit entirely to a particular brand.

"Big balls" jokes were intentionally omitted from the above. Size does matter. All rights reserved. All wrongs avenged. Your mileage may vary.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 05:02 am   Permalink

Self promoting as it is my new business but we have these Brain shaped moulds, perfect for a Zombie.

http://www.bespokebarware.com/shop/horror/brains-ice-cube-mold/

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 07:26 am   Permalink

What cocktails do you folks recommend the spherical ice for? I'd imagine a rum Old Fashioned, Manhattan benefiting the most from slowing down the melt. Others???

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 08:00 am   Permalink

Besides the standards you mention I use them in any spirit forward cocktail served in a standard old fashion glass. I think it's best for clear drinks (those w/o juice, cream or eggs). If the ice will be obscured by the ingredients I use my Tovolo 2"x2" ice cubes since they're easier to make in quantity. I've never had any problems with the Tovolo ice ball molds and they are cheap and readily available. Tovolo has a great reputation for their ice trays in cocktailian circles.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-01-25 14:46 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 08:05 am   Permalink

AceExplorer, thanks for sharing the results of your ice mold experiments. Glad to learn that I'm not missing anything by not boiling my water, etc!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation