FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food molds for ice
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
molds for ice
DarthMalaguti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-15 8:55 pm   Permalink

I couldn't get homebarbasics.com to load with Internet Explorer 10. I was able to access the site with Google Chrome.

View Profile of DarthMalaguti Send a personal message to DarthMalaguti      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dolewhip
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-10 05:45 am   Permalink

If anyone's still interested, I just got word that Dave Stolte's Home Bar Basics (and Not-So-Basics) 2nd edition is taking pre-orders now (shipping in late July, 2013).

Great book to have in the collection!

http://www.storenvy.com/products/1813332-home-bar-basics-and-not-so-basics-2nd-edition

View Profile of Dolewhip Send a personal message to Dolewhip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-10 2:17 pm   Permalink

After using a few different brands for the round ice molds
most did not work very well, I did find these to work quite well
and can recommend them, Tovolo Ice Molds

You can find them in stores and here on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Sphere-Ice-Molds-Set/dp/B007ACTN54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373490787&sr=8-1&keywords=round+ice+cube+mold

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-11 05:04 am   Permalink

I can recommend Muji's ice ball moulds

http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=11&Sub=46&PID=4254

They also do some smaller ball moulds.

Mine are still going strong 6 months on, mainly in Old Fashioneds

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-11 07:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-10 14:17, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
After using a few different brands for the round ice molds most did not work very well...

That's the sad truth about round (ball) molds. Many of us have invested quite a bit of money to find out which ones work. Some of the silicone ball molds I've purchased have a 50% failure rate in that they leak despite a lack of visible defects. I'm not able to use roughly half of the silicone molds that I've bought to date.

I have not tried the Tovolo molds. Am a bit gun-shy to buy yet another brand of ball molds.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 09:40 am   Permalink

I have these and they work great:

http://www.momastore.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_Spherical-Ice-Tray-Set_10451_10001_57253_-1_26669_26670

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 2:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-11 09:40, TikiHardBop wrote:
I have these and they work great:

http://www.momastore.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_Spherical-Ice-Tray-Set_10451_10001_57253_-1_26669_26670

I tried those to but it's very hard to get perfect Ice Balls from them consistently
the Tovolo Ice Molds do a better job.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 8:34 pm   Permalink

If you are feeling fancy, you can also take your sphere forms and make cocktails in spheres.

http://www.molecularrecipes.com/molecular-mixology/cocktail-ice-sphere/

Because drinking is always improved when hammers are involved.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-23 9:31 pm   Permalink

Following up to my earlier post -- I did buy and test the Tovolo ice ball molds. My results:

1) BEST molds I have tried to date - no leaks were possible due to the ice ball being formed within what I can only describe as a "full-height bottom mold" where the top half of the silicone mold is inserted into the lower half. Brilliant and functional.

2) Makes nice large round ice, 2.5", same as the largest competitive products.

Right out of the box, without any fussing, this is the most trouble-free, reliable and best design of any ice molds I've bought and used. I did experience a problem with the ice balls cracking during the freezing process which caused the ice balls to become a bit elongated in the middle. But once you drop these into a drink this did not appear to be much of a visual distraction to worry about. My guess is that my freezer is either a bit too warm or a bit too cold for the ice balls to form as nice spheres.

Thanks to those who suggested that I try the Tovolo molds. I'm very pleased with these. For anyone who is interested in buying, I found (after I bought) that the Nordstrom's web site sells these in sets of two for $12 with free shipping. I bought two sets for a total of four molds. Depending on the number of ice balls you expect you will need, you may only need two molds if you freeze and store ice balls in your freezer in a zip-lock bag ahead of any cocktail party. I've seen TikiHardBop do this at The Storm Shelter. Kudos to him for originally introducing me to round ice! I was intrigued and started experimenting shortly thereafter.

===============
Fact: Adding blue food coloring to the water when making spherical ice will yield - you guessed it - blue balls.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 11:09 pm   Permalink

Mmmmm, what guest wouldn't want airplane toilet ice in their drink?

Wait, that gives me an idea for the Halloween Party!

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-24 9:10 pm   Permalink

wizzard419 - I had to re-read my post to figure out what prompted your "airplane toilet ice" response. Now I get it - hilarious! I know, I know... But it's late and I'm not thinking clearly...

twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 9:49 pm   Permalink

I bought one of those Moai silicone ice cube form trays a couple years ago. They look awesome for about three minutes. You have to do a "HEY LOOK!! MOAI IN YOUR DRINKS!! LOOK NOW!!" to your guests or else they're just blobs very quickly. Best thing is to just take artistic photos right away and post them to Facebook.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 1:30 pm   Permalink

Speaking of bobbing ice, even though it isn't tiki, you could always go for the Titanic ice molds.

TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 5:52 pm   Permalink

I also bought the Moai molds and agree they don't work well for ice but one of the Amazon reviewers suggested a great use. They make great molds for chocolate Moai candy!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captaintony

Posted: 2013-07-30 09:00 am   Permalink

just a quick update on the Mastrad Ice Ball Mold. I found one on clearance at a TJ max. hadn't read the thread on it, so I bought it. out of the package, it leaked. which sucked, but it seemed like it should have worked, so i tried a number of things to see if I could get it to work. I ended up finding the best and easiest solution.

I simply run a little olive oil around the seam on both halves. works like a charm.

Eventually I'll get better molds, but for now, I can make ice balls that work just fine. I know there are a bunch of people out there who struggled with these, and I hadn't seen anyone who had suggested this yet (I'm sure someone has and I missed it) but still, if it helps someone, I'm glade I posted it.

View Profile of Captaintony Send a personal message to Captaintony      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation