FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Polynesian Cultural Center - Yeah or nay?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Polynesian Cultural Center - Yeah or nay?
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-09 4:03 pm   Permalink

Lori not sure the husband would want to take GROG along, lol!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-10 07:38 am   Permalink

Wow! Tikilongbeach, that PCC interior photo belongs in the next revision of "The Book of Tiki"! I can dream, can't I?

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-10 5:56 pm   Permalink

The question of whether or not to visit The Polynesian Cultural Center, much like most everything else on Tiki Central these days, depends entirely on your priorities. Please find below the two choices based on priorities.

YES
1. You seek out and appreciate the "Golden Age" of Tiki in Hawaii, or more specifically, on Oahu, and its history. (Opened in 1963, "Hukilau," Elvis in "Paradise Hawaiian Style," etc.)
2. You are interested in seeing the most Oceanic Art/Tikis in a single place of anywhere on Oahu other than The Bishop Museum.
3. You are interested in the indigenous cultures of the Pacific Ocean
4. You appreciate a beautiful, slow coastal drive with some of the most stunning views anywhere in the world

NO
1. You can't visit a family tourist attraction even for a few hours without imbibing alcohol
2. While even on vacation in Hawaii, you are still worrying about how much entrance costs might be
3. You are more concerned with the destination than the journey
4. You're so pressed for time that you'll be looking at your watch the entire visit
FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 5:27 pm   Permalink

Jonpaul,

Excellent points to consider!

If time allows for a leisurely drive and time to fully enjoy the PCC it will most likely be a go!

Mahalo~
Lori

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 5:40 pm   Permalink

I am going to Oahu in 25 days (woot! woot!) and I am up for checking out the PCC. I think if i am lucky I will be dragging VanTiki and his wife Denise with me as well since they have agreed to play tourist

I think we are going to check out all the islands and the evening show. I think we are going to skip the buffet and just eat throughout the park at the stands that are there.

I have scoured TC for every post that had to do with visiting Oahu--thanks for this one as well!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 6:50 pm   Permalink

SandraDee,

Have fun on your trip, I'm sure you are super stoked! Be sure to give a full report complete with the required pictures upon your return!

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 7:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks and I will!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 9:13 pm   Permalink

The PCC is incredibly interesting; has gorgeous scenery; excellent hula; and, most importantly, it avounds in Tiki!

This was the takeaway photo location from my last PCC visit:

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-24 8:18 pm   Permalink

By all means take it off the "Maybe" list and move it to the "Must go" list.

The PCC was one of the highlights of our trip to Oahu. It's a beautiful drive from Honolulu, stop along the way to look at the sights. We stopped by the shore (which is all of 5 feet from the road) and watched a local spearing octopus. It was amazing!

There's a lot to look at at the PCC. Absolutely wonderful exhibits, dancing and demonstrations. We did the whole day package - including the dinner and the evening show ("Ha - Breath of Life"). While the food wasn't anything to write home about, the kitchy lounge style entertainment that went along with it was fabulous.

-mark

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-25 7:21 pm   Permalink

LoriLovesTiki, I think that I actually misread your original post. All this time I thought you were only going to be there for 2.5 hours, but it says days. That should be more than enough time to visit the PCC. If you are going to have a car the whole time I am sure you are going to want to get out and explore. It is very cool to see.

I just got back from Oahu and had a great time! I was able to go on the walking tiki tour with Phillip Roberts. It was very cool and a must since they are getting rid of the International Marketplace. He taught us a lot that we did not know and he was a great guide and a good drinking companion. SandraDee, you will have a great time, Phillip said that you were already scheduled in for a tour. Only a few Waikiki Tiki first edition books still out there for sale...

We also visited Gecko's studio and that was the highlight of the trip for me. All of his art is amazing and it was so cool to see it all. It was great to meet him and his family. He was a great host. Of course we couldn't leave without 4 mugs But it is on the opposite side of the island from the PCC. And make sure to make an appointment with him in advance to confirm that he is free.

Have a great time! I love it there.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-26 10:41 am   Permalink

Thanks so much Luna! Great info. I'd like to meet Gecko and Phillip too so I'm hoping it works out. I'm just nervous about fitting it all in before we get on our cruise. We have all of a Friday and most of Saturday before we go on the cruise and most of the day when we get back into port.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation