FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki A kinder, gentler Tiki Central
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
A kinder, gentler Tiki Central
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 5:20 pm   Permalink

I'm relatively new to TC but since I've been here I've noticed a lot of people complaining about TC on Facebook and in person. Some of my tiki friends and acquaintenances are saying they don't like TC anymore because of rude and crude behavior. Then, more people chime in about how they dislike TC and stopped visiting. It's getting to be a common complaint. I've met several very cool people here that I now call friends and I'm thankful for that. I've got pretty thick skin, so I don't let the banter bother me but I have seen some innocent posters slammed hard for not being "tiki correct". I really like TC and have learned a multitude of stuff and met a lot of cool people.

So all I'm sayin' is lets all "live aloha" and treat each other like ohana. Even those poor souls that think Jimmy Buffet and Bob Marley are tiki.

Aloha

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-30 5:42 pm   Permalink

I'll vote for that! (not so sure about the parrotheads and rastas tho )

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-30 6:10 pm   Permalink

Any public forum will tend to have occasional displays of less-than-friendly behavior. Sometimes it's related to how quickly a post is written -- I know I have sometimes cringed when I saw that I put up a quick message without having given it some more careful thought. But all of the <b>good</b> stuff here far outweighs any bad. I can't say it enough -- the good FAR outweighs any bad. So I take the comments, whatever they are and wherever they're made, with a grain of salt and a classic Mai Tai or Zombie if possible.

Nobody can deny that this system is 1) very generously provided FREE of cost to any and all and 2) it does a helluva job introducing many people to many things we all enjoy and love. Where else can you communicate directly with so many tiki authors, musicians, historians, and aficionados?

So ignore those bad folks and their comments and then make 'em pay your bar tab the next time you run into them!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 6:55 pm   Permalink

Well said, TPT!

I'm all for a friendly tiki world!

But I must say that I find TC a pretty cool and mostly friendly place! I'm made a lot of new virtual friends, been exposed to some AMAZING artists, been encouraged in my feeble attempts at art and have gotten leads to great tiki products, etc. Plus I've swapped for a new tiki mug and received a beautiful tiki painting in the art swap.

Tiki Central has greatly improved my life and I am grateful to the site and many of you for igniting my passion!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 8:57 pm   Permalink

Is it my fault?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 10:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-30 20:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Is it my fault?

Of course it's your fault Lance!
Lori, lookin forward to hearing bout your experiences' in our bay area tiki bars(or did I somehow miss em?).
David
P S Lance, you know I enjoy your posts!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 10:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-30 17:20, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
I'm relatively new to TC but since I've been here I've noticed a lot of people complaining about TC on Facebook and in person.

TPT, this is why I don't do FB and maybe why I have no friends. On the serious side, you posed some valid points-well said. An O.F.'s view: You pretty much get back what you put into it. I enjoy posting and enjoy reading other's even more.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 10:37 pm   Permalink

So when did Tiki become so synonymous with Ohana ?? It's supposed to be a politically incorrect mid-century mainland bar culture !!

There's a big difference between merely expressing one's opinion and being rude or cruel.

If you want "Aloha" all the time then move to Hawaii.

Edited to add Mr. Smiley Face. And here's two more...

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-01-30 22:50 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 11:00 pm   Permalink

Friends are over rated anyway, I am having the time of my life in the lounge
going solo, bitches!

So yea, good times........just drinking high end cocktails........in the lounge, all solo like.....sucka's
sooooo.......what are you all up to..........like right now?..........maybe.......
you want a drink?........John-O?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 11:01 pm   Permalink

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 11:53 pm   Permalink

ATP, you are incorrigible. John-0, you will never convince anyone that you are not a nice guy. TPT, regarding your friends that don't like TC: I'd get new friends. See what a couple of mai tai's doe's to me?
Cheers

tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-31 12:09 am   Permalink

I just have to say that it took me years of lurking before I stuck my toes in these shark (or should I say, troll) infested waters, and I have a pretty thick skin but who needs the grief of the so called Tiki Police. In the few years that i've been a registered member, on as many as three occasions i've thought of quitting the site, and in spite, deleting all my posts. I didn't because I feel TC is the best depositary of the history of pop polynesia and tiki, a source of incredible art, craft, carving and craft tiki cocktail information But that said we should all remember that...

Tiki Central House Rules, General Rules includes..

2.BE POLITE. Please refrain from insults and name-calling. Be polite even if someone is insulting you or someone else "started it". If someone is really bothering you, then U-Mod or contact us, but BE POLITE.

4. DO NOT TROLL. Trolling is the act of making comments specifically to IRRITATE, INFLAME, or arouse anger in other users.

14. If your not sure about these rules,or if you're crossing a line with a post, feel free to contact us.

And remember if it's your first post or your three thousandth, you are a guest on this site not its omnipotent dictator.

Aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-31 01:02 am   Permalink

Just to be serious for one moment

Anyone who thinks TC is bad, have you been to any other forum sites?
like "ain't it cool news.com" or just about every other talk back site?

TC is like a turn of the century knitting circle at tea time compared to those!

we have a few older folks here that don't play by the PC rules (me included) and more then a few oversensitive
folks who can't handle adult conversations at times, but I like to call that having a personality
and I prefer having a drink with people who have personality, myself.

So whom wants a drinky?

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-31 07:28 am   Permalink

I do!

Goddamn I could use a drink. Work today is killing me. My brain hurts.

That being said, it is a closeknit community, and does transfer over into real life. And just life real life, some people are friendlier than others. Roll with the punches, and take the good with the bad. There's been some hostility towards outsiders who want nothing to do here other than sell something that may or may not be tiki related. I have no problem with that, personally. If it's relevant, then people are welcoming.

Other than an overblown recent squabble about politics, which don't belong on TC anyway, I've never seen posters genuinely rude to others. I'm not saying there's not examples, but in the last 6 months of me visiting nearly every day, it's been mostly peachy. But then again, I was gone during the years that I hear whisperings of old timers being rude to the new people.

And to reinforce what others have said above, you'll find more fighting, rudeness, and hatred on CNN.com than you will here. This really is a nearly unlimited treasure trove of information about polypop tiki culture. I'm amazed at the old posts that are dug up at times, and the information contributed by people like bigbro and DC, as well as many others. Sit back, have a Mai Tai, and if someone is being a dick, tell them.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-31 07:51 am   Permalink

I rather enjoy the fact, that when I meet folks from TC for the first time
they realize that I am only half the dick, they thought I was.........wait
I didn't mean that way!!!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation