FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki A kinder, gentler Tiki Central
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
A kinder, gentler Tiki Central
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 12:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-30 17:20, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
I'm relatively new to TC but since I've been here I've noticed a lot of people complaining about TC on Facebook and in person. Some of my tiki friends and acquaintenances are saying they don't like TC anymore because of rude and crude behavior. Then, more people chime in about how they dislike TC and stopped visiting. It's getting to be a common complaint. I've met several very cool people here that I now call friends and I'm thankful for that. I've got pretty thick skin, so I don't let the banter bother me but I have seen some innocent posters slammed hard for not being "tiki correct". I really like TC and have learned a multitude of stuff and met a lot of cool people.

So all I'm sayin' is lets all "live aloha" and treat each other like ohana. Even those poor souls that think Jimmy Buffet and Bob Marley are tiki.

Aloha

This was a great statement and I think we should return to it. I have seen way too many complaints on Facebook about how much they miss this place but that it has at times been ruined by a vocal few who:
1. Belittle new folks with insults or just post blind links links to old threads (to tell them to "shut up and not ask that question again, you should have found your answer on page 82 of the discussion")
2. Derail discussions with unrelated asides, you know verbal diarrhea, usually really, really unfunny, unimaginative comedy (think Robin Williams at his very worst). Stuff that doesn't bring a smile to either a prudish grandma or a filthy insult comic.
3. Whining about how there is not enough brutal criticism in this place. You know the type. They can't just say "I don't care for something" for this or that reason? They have to belittle and insult and act like their poor fanboy eyes are bleeding because they saw a parrot. And they they pat their narcissistic backs and congratulate themselves about how much "spice" they bring to the place? Great posts about tiki history make this a great site. Informed criticism make this a great site. Sven spices up this site with some of his criticism. But he is pretty much alone in that category. The best TC members are civil, and disagree in a civil way.

P.S. Ben IS funny. But he is one of a kind. You will never be able to emulate him.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 01:28 am   Permalink

Well SuperEight I don't think we have actually met, have we?

I don't know what your gender is so I will just say use some man balls or lady balls
and direct your insults to me by name, since it is intended as such, so you are not a fan
of my humor? that's OK if I could make everyone laugh then I would be the best paid comic in the world.

You are perfectly entitled to criticize & hate my jokes etc. but you sure seem to have alot of pent up hostility for me
just because you read something I said on Tiki Central & did not like it.

why would you let it bother you so much? it is just words on a website, nothing else.
maybe you just need to back away from the keyboard, have a drink & realize how silly your acting
and for what something ,someone you don't know said on the internet.

my only criticism of your comments though are this, your PC crap is just that, crap.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 05:05 am   Permalink

and ..... the circle is complete.
can I get anyone a MOIST TOWELETTE?

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2013-02-01 05:06 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 05:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-01 00:31, SuperEight wrote:

I have seen way too many complaints on Facebook about how...

Watch out! All that tiki negativity you see on facbook may one day rub off on you. I caught my negativity during the great "What is Tiki" TC debate of 2007. Maybe you should find some new friends in your circle who aren't so negative? They might be the problem-instead of a bunch of people you don't know.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 06:57 am   Permalink

I blame all this on Facebook! it will twist your mind.
Robin Williams? I thought I was the Sarah Silverman of TC.

And now a quote from the "The Young Ones"
"Neil: [Rick is gulping down pills trying to kill himself]
Uh, Vyvyan, can you actually kill yourself with laxatives?
Vyvyan: I don't know, Neil, but I'm gonna stay and find out!"

Vyvyan "Do you got a video!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ausPKEMVk0

(ATP,your Comedy Hack since just now!)

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-02-01 07:00 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 07:09 am   Permalink

Jimmy Buffett is tiki. Punk rock is Tiki. Hawaii is not tiki.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 07:16 am   Permalink

Lucas, can you just stand on that red X on the floor, over there......just for a moment

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 07:26 am   Permalink

1. Hawaii(ana) is Pre-Tiki
2. Jimmy Buffett is Tiki Devolution
3. Punk Rock (sensibility) is Tiki Revival

And I don't understand the references to TC trash talking on FB. My social network of Tikiphiles has grown pretty large since I joined FB last Nov. I see very little mention of Tiki or TC in these posts. I do see cats. Lots and lots of cats.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Miss Hell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-01 09:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-31 22:49, forgotten tikiman wrote:
My 1960's Osterizer classic VIII I just scored. Thing sounds like a dust buster when I fire it up. Its rad!!!!:D. Hey! There you are Ben.

Very cool! I have one similar, but a few years older that belonged to my grandmother. After we move in April, I plan on digging it out and using it often for some fruity, slushy style drinks. Lord knows I could use them.

[ This Message was edited by: Miss Hell 2013-02-01 09:36 ]

View Profile of Miss Hell Send a personal message to Miss Hell  Goto the website of Miss Hell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 09:58 am   Permalink

Ben,
Is that the new Bar you've been working on!?

If that's going to be the mug, I want it, as I'm sure most people will.

Dig it.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-01 10:36 am   Permalink

This looks like a great opportunity for some elitist old-timer inside-joke shorthand...

MOP-ROMP!
SAD-ONE!
LOCAL!
SALAD!

I think some people don't visit TC very often anymore because they are busy. Some people are turned off by the repetition. Some people are turned off by the fact that some people are turned off by the repetition. Some people are turned off by the fact that some people have to post about being turned off by the people who are turned off by the repetition. Some people aren't sure why they feel compelled to reply to a thread like this on one of their less frequent visits to the site. I can't imagine who that might be.

There is absolutely nothing disagreeable about the premise of common courtesy. But I guess there's also a broader gripe about THE STATE OF TC. This thread has prompted echoes of that gripe expressed with varying degrees of civility, which raises the question:

When talking about the people who are NOT kinder or gentler, is it necessary to be kind or gentle, or is that a special exception where we can freely insult them?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 10:50 am   Permalink

TPT the tiki world needs more people like you.

Tiki Central is about Tiki,Not Jimmy Buffett?

What about Jimmy Buffett Tiki?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Jap2IXXkM

W

http://www.tiki-caliente.com

[ This Message was edited by: Wildsville man 2013-02-01 10:51 ]

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 11:05 am   Permalink

Immy Buffett is Zazz.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 11:14 am   Permalink

now look at this video and tell me how different it looks from a Tiki Event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-cPckntEY

Honestly

Give him a Bill Tapa Uku and it's Tiki

W

http://www.tiki-caliente.com

[ This Message was edited by: Wildsville man 2013-02-01 11:15 ]

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 11:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-31 18:24, SuperEight wrote:
it's a sign of a true comedy hack to blame the audience for all the sounds of crickets that you are hearing.

HOLY CRAP!! is this why I get nothing when I post in my art thread.?
the sound of crickets = hack

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation