FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki A kinder, gentler Tiki Central
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
A kinder, gentler Tiki Central
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 27, 2010
Posts: 352
From: Las Vegas
Posted: 2013-02-01 4:53 pm   Permalink

John O- There is a group on FB called "Tiki" and there are a lot of Tiki Central folks on there. Artists, carvers and tiki lovers that most of us know or have heard of. No cat posts there. No one was 'bashing' TC but the attitude was such that they won't go there anymore. This discourages me because I like this tiki community and want it to thrive.

ATP- Don't assume any of this is directed at you. It wasn't.

All- Its good to talk it out. Tiki therapy. I hope to see some of you at Mojave Oasis. Now pick up yer Mai Tai and DRINK!


 
View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 27, 2012
Posts: 106
Posted: 2013-02-01 6:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-01 16:53, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
John O- There is a group on FB called "Tiki" and there are a lot of Tiki Central folks on there. Artists, carvers and tiki lovers that most of us know or have heard of. No cat posts there. No one was 'bashing' TC but the attitude was such that they won't go there anymore. This discourages me because I like this tiki community and want it to thrive.

ATP- Don't assume any of this is directed at you. It wasn't.

All- Its good to talk it out. Tiki therapy. I hope to see some of you at Mojave Oasis. Now pick up yer Mai Tai and DRINK!



Well said! That's my main concern. Hell, if folks want to behave like steaming piles of dung, I couldn't care less, but it can have a negative effect on the community as well as this site. How many people might have contributed a whole lot more had they not just gotten fed up with 10th grade smack talk? While some is actually funny and I'm sure intended to be so, a lot is just pathetic and fueled by internet anonymity. I don't know if it's so much a matter of who can take it or not, so much as it's often "why bother". Life's simply too short to tolerate childish annoyances. There's a reason grown folks don't hang out with 7th graders. Why tolerate adolescent annoyances when there are simply far better, more fruitful things to do with your time.

The sad fact is that most of what this community has to offer in terms of historic materials, information and research can be of benefit whether you contribute or not. That being said it certainly behooves those that care for this site to do our best to give folks a reason to contribute rather than simply a compelling reason to just lurk.
_________________
The Island is Calling......


 
View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Nov 08, 2010
Posts: 416
From: western australia
Posted: 2013-02-01 6:56 pm   Permalink

Dead Horse y'say?

hmmm... if the accepted contemporary meaning runs along the lines of -
person "a" arguing a forgone conclusion at the exclusion of persons "b,c,ds'" opinion.

no, don't see any of that.

Or, the older meaning of - battling away at a lost cause...

no, can't detect any of that either, things seem to be proceeding quite smoothly
and in a civil and even healthy manner, although various insecurities are bubbling
to the surface.

Soooo, no, no dead horses here.


p.s. does ones overriding desire to be polite amount to a weakness?









 
View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 27, 2012
Posts: 106
Posted: 2013-02-01 7:49 pm   Permalink

"p.s. does ones overriding desire to be polite amount to a weakness?"

I would say no, often it simply amounts to having grown up.

I have a tendency to call people dumba$$ (including myself). However, I do so only with those folks that know me well enough to know it is not malicious, but rather light-hearted silliness. The same usually goes for my sarcasm. I'm the most sarcastic smart a$$ person you could meet, but there is a time and place for everything. Folks that don't know me are unlikely to be treated in this manner simply because I don't know them well enough yet. There are a lot of behaviors we accept from our friends that could end badly if we received that same treatment from a stranger. It's not just a matter of consideration, but also a matter of perspective.

Interesting discussion any way you slice it..
_________________
The Island is Calling......


 
View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 19, 2009
Posts: 6201
From: Costa Misery
Posted: 2013-02-01 8:06 pm   Permalink

You know I beat you, Because I love you TC!

 
View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Nov 12, 2002
Posts: 7470
From: Huntikington Beach
Posted: 2013-02-01 8:42 pm   Permalink

I hope this wasn't all because of my silly little facebook post....


"If I put this up on Tiki Central they would tare me apart. lol!!"!

Timeline Photos
My Dad was more Tiki than your Dad. On Guam, WW2, Tapa Cloth print shorts, drinking a beer with a Shaka!
By: Bamboo Ben





_________________


Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben


 
View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Mar 13, 2005
Posts: 80
From: Rochester
Posted: 2013-02-01 11:18 pm   Permalink

My 2 cents...oh no I think I only have one! But I have posted here and then haven't visited for awhile, and come back. I never felt left out, or insulted that I can remember. I do love learning here, and the range of artistry and knowledge couldn't be found anywhere else. I don't ever remember a forum where there wasn't some friction at times. But you have to understand all the different personalities involved.
_________________
OKOLE MALUNA!


 
View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 19, 2009
Posts: 6201
From: Costa Misery
Posted: 2013-02-01 11:40 pm   Permalink

Ben's dad is Mr. Tiki!

 
View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Posts: 6911
From: Tujunga
Posted: 2013-02-01 11:47 pm   Permalink

Plato

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."

GROG not mentioning any names, but there are definitely several people (including GROG) who fall in the latter category.


 
View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Posts: 3962
From: Las Vegas
Posted: 2013-02-01 11:48 pm   Permalink

I'm raising my glass to you all
_________________
Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!


 
View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Posts: 6911
From: Tujunga
Posted: 2013-02-01 11:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-01 23:48, hang10tiki wrote:
I'm raising my glass to you all




Now lock this thread on a good note!
_________________

GROG miss Tiki-Kate


 
View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 16, 2004
Posts: 268
From: Palo Alto
Posted: 2013-02-02 01:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-01 18:53, LostIsland wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-02-01 16:53, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
John O- There is a group on FB called "Tiki" and there are a lot of Tiki Central folks on there. Artists, carvers and tiki lovers that most of us know or have heard of. No cat posts there. No one was 'bashing' TC but the attitude was such that they won't go there anymore. This discourages me because I like this tiki community and want it to thrive.

ATP- Don't assume any of this is directed at you. It wasn't.

All- Its good to talk it out. Tiki therapy. I hope to see some of you at Mojave Oasis. Now pick up yer Mai Tai and DRINK!



Well said! That's my main concern. Hell, if folks want to behave like steaming piles of dung, I couldn't care less, but it can have a negative effect on the community as well as this site. How many people might have contributed a whole lot more had they not just gotten fed up with 10th grade smack talk? While some is actually funny and I'm sure intended to be so, a lot is just pathetic and fueled by internet anonymity. I don't know if it's so much a matter of who can take it or not, so much as it's often "why bother". Life's simply too short to tolerate childish annoyances. There's a reason grown folks don't hang out with 7th graders. Why tolerate adolescent annoyances when there are simply far better, more fruitful things to do with your time.

The sad fact is that most of what this community has to offer in terms of historic materials, information and research can be of benefit whether you contribute or not. That being said it certainly behooves those that care for this site to do our best to give folks a reason to contribute rather than simply a compelling reason to just lurk.




Perfectly said.


 
View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 11, 2007
Posts: 2349
From: SoMass
Posted: 2013-02-02 05:51 am   Permalink

I just like to hear myself type!
Quote:

On 2013-02-01 23:47, GROG wrote:
Plato

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."

GROG not mentioning any names, but there are definitely several people (including GROG) who fall in the latter category.



 
View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 26, 2002
Posts: 2605
From: Seattilite Telstar
Posted: 2013-02-02 09:21 am   Permalink

I love the library. But as with most multi-layered things I love (family, cities, music, movies, TV, trifle, museums) there are many things i hate about the library.

I can't stand the people who yack on their cell phones despite all the signs.

I don't care for the children's sections which are frequently put together (and used) like preschools with play equipment and toys.

I don't like the gamers on the computers slammin the hell outta the keyboards.

But I haven't stopped going to the library because of all these constant irritations. I just ignore them and go to the library because that's where the FREE! books, movies, and CDs are.

It's the same thing with Tiki Central. I have always had irritations with this place (I even used to attempt to logically address some of these irritations with threads). But I learned to mostly ignore the irritations because of all the good stuff on here.

Anyone who loves Tiki but completely dismisses Tiki Central merely because of an old grudge or because they can't self righteously tell off someone who annoys them or because they know in their hearts that they're so much cooler than everyone on here is cutting themselves off from the best online source of Tiki information.

I can understand many of their annoyances. (Except long held anger at complete strangers is something I don't get. And I know I ain't cooler than anyone on here.)

And though I think Tiki Central is the best online source of Tiki information it does become harder and harder to find this information when the forums get filled up with new threads that should have been posts in old threads or threads get filled up with "Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!" type comments that have little to do with the topic. (To quote GROG quoting Plato ""A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something.")

These days I mostly ignore what annoys me on Tiki Central. (Occasionally I'll have an outburst of absurdity, see above.)

But then I'm someone who can visit an old relative with a little yapping dog and ignore the dog for several hours because I'm enjoying my visit with the relative.


 
View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 11210
From: Tiki Island, above the Silverlake
Posted: 2013-02-02 09:51 am   Permalink

Nicely said, woofman. And: If only half of the time spent thinking and posting on this thread would be spent on Tiki culture research and development, TC would be a lot better off.

 
View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation