FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki as a job
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Tiki as a job
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-10 12:34 pm   Permalink

Ah, the Gobbler! Thought they had finally ripped it down. Looks like they left the restaurant?

http://www.lileks.com/institute/motel/

as for me... I swear if the Land Park Ski Shop ever goes out of business, I'm turning it into a Tiki Bar/Restaurant. The outside is already more than halfway there...

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2013-02-10 12:45 ]

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-10 3:50 pm   Permalink

I agree that the Land Park Ski Shop looks destined to be Tikified. That would be awesome!

Lileks was pretty harsh on the Gobbler motel but the Gobbler Restaurant has a lot going for it. It looks like an early 80's Getty era Don the Beachcomber space ship style restaurant. It has Lava rock, ROTATING BAR, and a mast that could be converted into an awesome tiki torch that could be seen for miles around. Maybe that was on the now demolished motel but you get the idea! The best part is the appliances, furnace and "bar rotation motors" have been recently replaced, they installed a new Boise (hopefully Bose!) sound system and they only want some $900,000. In Palo Alto that wouldn't even get you a 900 sq. ft. 50 year old shack!

If it's still available when I retire I'm going to cash out of California, convert the "Gobbler's Nest" above the bar into my residence (a la Kelbos perch) and fill the restaurant with authentic carvings from every region of the mysterious South Seas. Every hour and twenty minutes I'll get to tour the entire region.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 05:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-10 07:17, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
If you don't mind moving to Wisconsin here is a classic mid-century restaurant that is begging to be tikified: http://buythegobbler.com/ . I believe it already has lava rock walls. Be sure to view the "Photo Tour" and "Full Details" links.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-02-10 07:26 ]

That place is amazing. Holy carp. The 80s were not kind to it, but it's in magnificent shape. With all the purple, all I can think is that should be turned into the first SHAG themed bar. Not just tiki, Jet Set, Swanky, Tiki madness. All Shag. The color scheme, everything. It needs to be the real world embodiment of a Shag painting.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-17 10:47 am   Permalink

I wasn't quite sure where to post these pictures. Since there are other Tiki like buildings in this thread, this seemed to be the place. This place is walking distance from my apartment. It has been a used car dealership for a long time. My earliest memories are of a pizza place!? in the mid 70's. I am going to try to dig up more info of it next week on my days off. It is located at 1700 Ridge rd east here in Rochester.

I'm wondering if there was a company that offered this as a generic restaurant building, or was it specific to a chain?

View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 11:52 am   Permalink

There is this tiny, horrible bikini bar nearby with scary waitresses that serve only hot beer.If it goes up for sale again, I'd buy it, gut it and turn it into a tiny, loveable lounge.It's small enough and easy enough to get to (also right next to the local paved river trail) that I could run it without too much of a loss until hopefully good word of mouth would get it noticed.It would be the first tiki lounge in the area since the 80's.......... If I had insane amounts of money I'd try to revive the Coco Palms.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-26 12:24 pm   Permalink

Good idea. They have a beer/liquor license, and that could be very costly to acquire.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation