FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Question for Bamboo experts...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Question for Bamboo experts...
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 10:54 am   Permalink

Sick of the neighboors and the monstrosity of a McMansion they built. I want to blot them out forever, and am thinking very tall bamboo as a sort of wall....can anyone suggest a species or type that grows tall, fast and sturdy?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 10:57 am   Permalink

Try checking out
http://www.bamboogiant.com/
they're in Santa Cruz area - and may be able to assist with your needs

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-04 11:04 am   Permalink

Be careful what Bamboo you get. It grows really fast and some can spread to areas you don't want it, so you may have to put in cement retaining wall buried in the dirt to keep it from spreading.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 11:16 am   Permalink

There is a brick wall surrounding the yard, I was thinking of putting it up against that...might work?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-04 11:19 am   Permalink

Depends how deep it is in the ground. You may need something in front of the bamboo to keep it from spreading to the rest of your yard. It sends out shoots underground.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 11:22 am   Permalink

You'll need to address the possibility of the roots traveling under the wall.
You should look more specifically at the "clumping" type of bamboo not "running" --
You could build up a planter box in front of the brick wall and use that to contain the roots.

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-04 10:54, lucas vigor wrote:
Sick of the neighboors and the monstrosity of a McMansion they built. I want to blot them out forever, and am thinking very tall bamboo as a sort of wall....can anyone suggest a species or type that grows tall, fast and sturdy?

LV , Google "Bamboo" ,culture and propagation.Read very thing you have time for.
Sounds to me like "Alphonse Karr" is a type of bamboo that might be close to perfect for you. 12-15' tall, it's a beautiful yellow with a green stripe bamboo,spreads slowly as it's a "clumper" and is readily available at most nurseries. THe culms are about 1 1/2 " IF you wanna go crazy "Bambusa Oldhamii", common name Giant timber bamboo will grow to 40-50 ' in a few years, it's harder to find and at 75$ plus at most places it's not for everyone. the culms/canes are up to 4" and it's also a clumper.. Pretty impressive. Hi -Times liquor in Costa Mesa Has several stands growing within small restricted confines in their parking lot. Two good reasons to visit Hi-times(I dig their rum selection and if Forrest is there, he's quite knowledgeable in regard to rum,
Btw, I just picked up a 5 gal. can of B. Oldhamii last weekend while visiting San Diego (yea Bali Hai,Humphrey's)I found a grower that will sell it for $35 and I'll share my source With anyone (via p m) that wants to know.
Good luck,Bamboo is your friend

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 2:11 pm   Permalink

I'm no expert but Golden Hedge grows from 15' to 30' & 1 1/2" in diameter and is good for our zone 10b-10a. Seabreeze can grow up 55' & 2 1/2" in diameter and good in the zone.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 2:27 pm   Permalink

Use "Bamboo Barrier" or you will be sorry.

It will bust through cement walls.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-04 2:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-04 14:27, RevBambooBen wrote:
Use "Bamboo Barrier" or you will be sorry. It will bust through cement walls.

In that case, he should plant it up against his neighbor's "McMansion." Problem solved! heheheheh... <evil grin>

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 2:39 pm   Permalink

Here's some pix of some of my bamboo.
Culms of Alphonse Karr . Appr. ! 1/4 dia.

A. K. used as a screen. Completely hides a 12x 10 metal shed and blocks the view into my yard from the parking lot next door.
My new neighbor just recently cut a hedge down that use to block that opening. Gonna fix that soon.

Otatea Acuminata Aztecorum (Mexican Weeping Bamboo) Most graceful of all the bamboos.has thin culms,10-12' in the ground ,much smaller in containers. Beautiful in the garden -the slightest breeze gets this guy waving gracefully. Makes a great hedge but it is pricey and a very slow grower.

Newly planted A.K. It'll be several years before this reaches the size of the bamboo in the second pic. About 3' tall and was cut from the bamboo in the second pic.

Giant Timber Bamboo ready to plant. Should get to 10-12 ' by summers end. We'll see.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 3:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-04 14:39, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

In that case, he should plant it up against his neighbor's "McMansion." Problem solved! heheheheh... <evil grin>

if only!

The neighborhood is all small, 50's era houses. This joker built a house so huge it towers over everything. For what reason? Same reason he drives big, huge trucks, perhaps? of course, he has 3 pitbulls that howl at everything. All night long. From their house, they can see Catalina island, I assume...and of course everything in my back yard including me if I go out there...

but the kicker is his weekly family nights he has every sunday beginning at 5 in the evening and going on until 2 in the morning...this includs the home owner getting drunker and drunker and howling like a coyote every 5 minutes, again, till 2 in the morning. Then to make things worse he predominately listenes to a type of music called "freestyle", which may very well be the worst music known to mankind...it is music from the late 80s. early 90s and features such artists as Lisa Lisa and cultjam and nu shooz. It's what was big in LA and new York before hip hop...which if you can believe it, is an actual improvment to this music. He normally has the radio playing this music so loud, including all the commercials, that this is what I get to listen to even standing 3-4 houses down the street.

I am building my own tiki bar. I would like to have a place to listen to my music and relax, but with their dogs barking like crazy as soon as I go in the backyard, and their horrid music overpowering anything I might want to hear, it's impossible.

You would hope that extreme cold weather or rain would keep them inside, but noooooo! The jerk has installed state-of-the-art outside heaters, a huge carnival-like canopy covering the backyard, and enough lights strung across the yard on overhead wires to light up a typical oil rig or cruise liner.....no matter what this guy is going to have his parties and enjoy his life at everyone else's expense!

So you can see why I want a formidable barrier!

God, life sucks sometimes!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-02-04 15:20 ]

LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 3:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-04 15:18, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-02-04 14:39, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

if only!

The neighborhood is all small, 50's era houses. This joker built a house so huge it towers over everything. For what reason? Same reason he drives big, huge trucks, perhaps? of course, he has 3 pitbulls that howl at everything. All night long. From their house, they can see Catalina island, I assume...and of course everything in my back yard including me if I go out there...

but the kicker is his weekly family nights he has every sunday beginning at 5 in the evening and going on until 2 in the morning...this includs the home owner getting drunker and drunker and howling like a coyote every 5 minutes, again, till 2 in the morning. Then to make things worse he predominately listenes to a type of music called "freestyle", which may very well be the worst music known to mankind...it is music from the late 80s. early 90s and features such artists as Lisa Lisa and cultjam and nu shooz. It's what was big in LA and new York before hip hop...which if you can believe it, is an actual improvment to this music. He normally has the radio playing this music so loud, including all the commercials, that this is what I get to listen to even standing 3-4 houses down the street.

I am building my own tiki bar. I would like to have a place to listen to my music and relax, but with their dogs barking like crazy as soon as I go in the backyard, and their horrid music overpowering anything I might want to hear, it's impossible.

You would hope that extreme cold weather or rain would keep them inside, but noooooo! The jerk has installed state-of-the-art outside heaters, a huge carnival-like canopy covering the backyard, and enough lights strung across the yard on overhead wires to light up a typical oil rig or cruise liner.....no matter what this guy is going to have his parties and enjoy his life at everyone else's expense!

So you can see why I want a formidable barrier!

God, life sucks sometimes!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-02-04 15:20 ]

Time for the tiki mafia...

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 3:57 pm   Permalink

It's time for a chat with your neighbor. At least try so that when you blast him on Saturday nights with a zillion watts of the Stones from an outdoor speaker hidden in your bamboo hedge you'll have some leverage when the inconsiderate fool comes to see you.
As for the dawgs, that's my signal to go water the yard with that sometimes uncontrollable and unpredictable water hose and supernozzle.
Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-04 16:00 ]

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 4:19 pm   Permalink

You may want to do a Google search for your problem. There are some electronic solutions for the music situation, warning not all of them perfectly legal and some difficult depending on your level of technical expertise- but there are things you can do to mess with him if it is or gets too bad. We had a similar problem with the neighbor behind us but before things came to a head his wife decided she'd had enough and pulled the plug - literally - on his midlife crisis all night partying. I hope you get so lucky.

As for the dogs that's a bit tricker although again we had an issue with the neighbors across the street from us and I didn't call but was tempted to and that situation too rectified itself. I'm pretty sure another neighbor complained because they received a visit from animal control and now I very rarely hear those dogs.

Good luck! I have my fingers crossed for you.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation