[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Introducing the Foxy Boxy Lounge
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Introducing the Foxy Boxy Lounge
creepykbear
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-10 07:58 am   Permalink

So, our tiki space doesn't really have a name, it's just where we live - but we got a wild hair that we needed a bar - so while my parents were visiting my Dad offered his construction skills and we built us a bar! Here's some pics of in progress and finished - plus our ever evolving tiki space.

Scary Hubby works with tools!

Mom & Dad being cute

The bar bones - 5/8 inch plywood

50 hot glue sticks later... We covered it with bamboo placemats deconstructed and staggered, so they made a nice pattern

Finished bar

Closeup of the top - awesome shag fabric covered with a piece of plexi

Closeup of the lights - We got a fixture and put it into some torches with a flicker bulb.

We're going to be putting up some shelves behind the bar - stuff is always a work in progress.

[ This Message was edited by: creepykbear 2013-02-17 17:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creepykbear 2013-04-15 22:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creepykbear 2014-06-01 21:46 ]

View Profile of creepykbear Send a personal message to creepykbear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-10 09:30 am   Permalink

Way to go! That's a nice looking bar and you can't go wrong with the shag fabric, right? Good on you for making it happen.

Nice clock too...

Aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-10 10:37 am   Permalink

VERY NICE!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-10 10:48 am   Permalink

Oh yes, that bar is great! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Mahalo!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-10 10:51 am   Permalink

CKBear, Placemats indeed! How creative.I really like what you've done.
On the downside, you are on a slippery slope,probably took your initial step when you got your first mug.
Keep posting
David
Btw, is that ice bucket one of those 50's plastic with a rattan insert supercool ones?

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-10 10:54 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creepykbear
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-10 4:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comments everyone. Inspires me to get the rest of that corner done - or as done as it'll be before we get something else to change.

The ice bucket is a vintage one with the rattan inner. In addition to tikis we seem to be accidentally collecting ice buckets - we got an awesome vintage teak one at a flea market this weekend.

View Profile of creepykbear Send a personal message to creepykbear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-10 7:51 pm   Permalink

Kool
Always nice to get some help on the build
Looks nice
How about a close up of your mugs
Have fun
Cheers

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-10 8:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-10 16:33, creepykbear wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone. Inspires me to get the rest of that corner done - or as done as it'll be before we get something else to change.

The ice bucket is a vintage one with the rattan inner. In addition to tikis we seem to be accidentally collecting ice buckets - we got an awesome vintage teak one at a flea market this weekend.

\
I warned you about the "slippery slope".
I also have a "Side" Collection of vintage barware that got started "accidentally". Check out vintage barware under "beyond tiki".
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creepykbear
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-17 5:10 pm   Permalink

This weekend we worked on a few of our wall displays. The wall color comes out badly in photos - it's more of a key lime, not so much of a yellowish - and I don't have enough extra lights yet for a tiki room sort of darkness.

Bookshelf top - overtaken by tiki -

Someday this will be all Shag shelf - on top of the liquor cabinet.

This is our color changing wall - maybe not tiki - but we love it! I can't believe I didn't get a photo of it with the lights on - next time. At the moment it's been stripped of a few mugs to add to the new display areas.

We picked up this great shelf from 1968 at a Flea Market last weekend

Plus got the Treasure Craft Fishes hung up. The seem to come home with us when we can't find any tiki at antique stores. The print is Joanna Nelson - I like the I Dream of Jeanie esque feeling.

And behind the bar

Closer up of behind the bar. We picked up the shelves at a yard sale for $3 a while back - painted them aqua to match the inside and top of the bar. I forgot what a pain it is to hang floating shelves! I think we're going to hang some barwear under the long shelf - so that area will be visually filled.

After adding that new storage looks like we need more mugs again! I'm sure that will be remedied shortly. We also need a flat tiki to put on the front of the bar - but I know we'll see what we really want eventually. I don't want to put something there just to fill the space.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-17 10:50 pm   Permalink

Oh my gosh, what a fabulous mod collection you have. The bar is looking awesome, looking forward to more pictures and a cocktail.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 06:40 am   Permalink

Love the bar! You're off to a great start. And yup, it's a slippery slope. Definitely an addiction!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-24 2:49 pm   Permalink

Looks FANTASTIC!!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 05:55 am   Permalink

Looking way kool
Love the colors
Cheers

Jon

Great new shelf too

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 11:13 pm   Permalink

Amazing progress! Really nice. Man, Are you hooked!
Cheers

cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-26 7:27 pm   Permalink

This is all so gorgeous! Now I really MUST get at least one tiki mug. Where do you find them? I haunted thrift stores on Saturday, but no love.

View Profile of cyndigo Send a personal message to cyndigo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation