FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki atkins dieters?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
atkins dieters?
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 10:37 am   Permalink

tikifish, the drink was the biggest problem! One mixed drink will usually have more carbs than you are allowed in a day and a couple of beers will put you over. If you were drinking, you weren't really low carbing. One drink with tonic water is over 30 grams of carbs!

Besides Cool Whip, we ate wings regularly. As long as you don't have too many, they are a great way to eat fun. The Met-Rx Protein Plus bars are also awesome. Well, one of theirs is low carb and damned yummy when you are used to eating meat and eggs and cheese every meal every day.

I also try to cycle the diet. 2 weeks on, one week off. The greatest losses came for me in the first 2 weeks and quickly slowed.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 11:24 am   Permalink

I decided to give it a try last year and lost about 30 pounds in 4 months. Then I mysteriously leveled off and have been there ever since, even while still on the diet.

Yeah, no drinks on the diet sucks, as I think the more I drank contributed to the diet being less effective. I didn't drink high calorie drinks, but the book says that the mere presence of alcohol in the system slows or stops the ketosis, so that's probably it.

But I have to say I haven't felt better on any other diet. Less hungry, plenty of energy.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 12:14 pm   Permalink

I guess that I am just lucky that it worked for me even with the inclusion of white wine (my usual at the time).

If anyone wants, I have a huge word file of collected LowCarb vegetarian recipes I could email to you...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-03 12:21 pm   Permalink

The low carb diet isn't new. I have a book from the 1950s on drinks and drinking that suggests a low carb diet as a way to lose weight while drinking as much as you want. They called it the "caveman diet" as it contains primarily meat and vegetables.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-04 1:33 pm   Permalink

Hey, don't forget to exercise too. Many times, lowering your caloric intake does little or causes only temporary weight loss without increasing your physical activity too. Our metabolism will keep slowing as we age and we need to counter that. A 47 year old friend of mine eats just about anything he wants (in moderation of course), but he runs and lifts weights 2-3 times a week. He looks better and is healthier than when he was half his age.

You don't have to become a super athlete though. Pick any activity you enjoy, then stick to it regardless if it's walking, swimming, dancing, riding a bike, yoga, etc. Any exercise is still better than no exercise. (Finding ways to keep your daily stress in check is also really important since stress can eventually kill you in a multitude of ways.)

I want to see all my Tiki friends live long and healthy lives so it's not just about how we look, but being here to enjoy the time we have with friends and family in good health. Trust me, spending time in a hospital with something like a heart condition or severe diabetes sure puts a damper on the Tiki partying.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation