FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mid-Century home for sale w/ vintage tropics room, murals
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mid-Century home for sale w/ vintage tropics room, murals
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 07:22 am   Permalink

I saw this place on Detroit Curbed.

Want!

Be sure to click on the photo gallery

http://m.detroit.curbed.com/archives/2013/02/sherwood-forest-home-sits-atop-a-bizarre-tropical-secret.php

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2013-02-13 07:23 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 09:50 am   Permalink

I swear can smell pot when I look at the photos.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 10:01 am   Permalink

Only $159,000! You can't even buy a crack house in Southern California for $159k.

Sandwiched between Palmer Park and Livernois, things are quiet on the winding streets of Sherwood Forest. Sherwood's close-knit design might lend itself to nosy neighbors, but could they have possibly known what's hiding behind this unassuming, mid-century facade?

The tiki bar of your dreams >>
Most Sherwood Forest homes were built in the 1920s or 30s, but this one crashed the party in 1950. Featuring a generous use of pink paint, mirrors, and holographic wallpaper, this 4-bedroom asks $159K and needs a bit of updating. But that doesn't explain the basement. Basement bars aren't uncommon for homes of this era, but but most don't feature a large painting of a topless dancer greeting guests at the bottom of the stairs. Things only get better from there. Every bit of wall not covered in faux bamboo features a painting meant to put you in tropical mood, meaning guests endure a gauntlet of monkeys, palm trees, and nipples. You'll certainly be in a drinking mood by the time you reach the bar, which features the greatest painting of all. Wearing a necklace of bottle caps, the queen of the bar appears ready to eat a hotdog.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captainwhoopass
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-13 2:31 pm   Permalink

Wow. Those bathroom taps are the nazz and I will never be able to get that hot dog mural out of my head. Amazing stuff - thanks for posting!

View Profile of Captainwhoopass Send a personal message to Captainwhoopass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 3:52 pm   Permalink

Wow, the previous owners sure put a whole lot of ugly into the house
good bones though.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 7:23 pm   Permalink

That place would be fun to remodel.
I love the silver bamboo wallpaper!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 10:25 pm   Permalink

Huh! Very interesting.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 10:56 pm   Permalink

Congrats on drawing Tikiwahine out of her nearly 6 month silence.

The price is attractive - much else is not. I love the pink bathroom except for the new sink.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zond2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 06:50 am   Permalink

This house is built in the style often called Streamline Moderne which dates back to the Art Deco Period.
Any Poroit fans out there?

View Profile of zond2 Send a personal message to zond2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 08:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-13 15:52, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Wow, the previous owners sure put a whole lot of ugly into the house
good bones though.

100% agreed.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-15 4:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-15 06:50, zond2 wrote:
This house is built in the style often called Streamline Moderne which dates back to the Art Deco Period.

That's very interesting. I always thought Streamline Moderne was more curvy and had less hard and square edges. I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking of the former Pan Pacific Auditorium in Los Angeles as one of the most striking examples of Streamline Moderne.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 7:54 pm   Permalink

Interesting side note on this one;

I showed this to a co-worker of mine who grew up in Detroit and he has BEEN THERE!

He saw the photos and remembered that as being a friend of a friend's parents' house.

Small world... Of course, my immediate response is how do you NOT remember drinking in
a jungle bar with a hot dog mural?!?

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 06:03 am   Permalink

Cool house, I thought the interior looked more like Hollywood Regency style but what do I know. Also kinda reminds me of early Scarface style as well. That's just me though.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 09:40 am   Permalink

Ace Explorer...you would be correct...here a a few examples from my collection...

Streamline Moderne evoked movement/speed/travel...many like the LA Coca Cola building, a ship like structure...NO roof lines. Trav, I think your inside analogy is right on. Very cool bar and bathroom though. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 02:57 am   Permalink

Soooo...WHO's gonna get this one:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1228-17th-St-West-Des-Moines-IA-50265/863208_zpid/

C'mon, someone has to move it and keep it as is!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation