FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Mid-Century home for sale w/ vintage tropics room, murals
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mid-Century home for sale w/ vintage tropics room, murals
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 05:16 am   Permalink

GOOD LORD !!! Not really my cup of tea as the decor goes but I can appreciate the fact that the home has remained intact in the state it is in. Sadly it's probably headed for a major "upgrade" when a new owner is found.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 08:59 am   Permalink

Someone spent a pretty penny to make it look like that, I wonder what the original house was like...
But I do like the "Throne Room".

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 09:04 am   Permalink

too bad its stuck in a shit hole like Detroit!!!! you couldn't give me this house as nice as it is to live in that craphole!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 09:37 am   Permalink

So Des Moines is a suburb of Detroit? It actually looks like a real nice hood where it's standing:

Well, I am glad we all know how you feel about Detroit, now

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 09:48 am   Permalink

I believe the correct name for this design style is "Mid-Century Horror."

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 09:50 am   Permalink

no no, the sub-burbs are fine, Im talking the crime ridden inner city area with all the abandoned beautiful homes and lack of police and fire support! hey, I feel the same way about L.A. its a crap hole too, but Ive got to live here and we don't have the winters, Detroit use to be an awesome city

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 11:32 am   Permalink

The address of the Chinese house is:

1228 17th St, West Des Moines, IA 50265

Here's the link again:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1228-17th-St-West-Des-Moines-IA-50265/863208_zpid/

And, yeah, it might be over the top, but what constitutes home decor horror to me is rather something like this:

Middle-of-the-road, like millions of homes, Ethan Allen genericness

What is the Picasso opening quote in the Book of Tiki ?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 12:29 pm   Permalink

I happen to love this place, I would buy and live here if all he furniture and decor stayed. You know what they say "Good taste is a dreadful thing, taste is the enemy of creativeness".

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 12:52 pm   Permalink

Yup:
http://www.thequotefactory.com/quote-by/pablo-picasso/good-taste-is-the-enemy-of-creativity/18851

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 1:09 pm   Permalink

Then there is: Good Taste is what most people think they have....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 1:39 pm   Permalink

Des Moines is in Iowa, not Michigan. Detroit and Des Moines don't have much in common.
My love of Mid Century started in the Midwest. My relatives live in Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri. Cities such as Overland Park, Omaha, Wichita, Kansas City and Des Moines are filled with nice and well kept Mid Century Modern homes.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2013-09-22 5:26 pm   Permalink

The bars hold promise in these homes but the rest of the decor would make me have a seizure!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-23 09:31 am   Permalink

This 1925 (before Mid Century) Japanese-style home was for sale for a couple of years. It's located in the Belmont Shore neighborhood of Long Beach, CA and it's the only estate sized home in the BS area. Most of them don't have yards to speak of.
The outside looks immaculate and there is even a tea house. Take a look at the video and see what was done to the inside. It was gutted and modernized.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTG6mvS59bw

Tea house.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-23 12:25 pm   Permalink

Oy, that green toilet and sink combo in the bathroom will surely give me nightmares!

Some aspects of the interior reminded me of James Bond film sets.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-23 12:49 pm   Permalink

Looks like a brochure for the Madonna Inn (San Luis Obispo)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation