FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate-Aye or Nay?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate-Aye or Nay?
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-14 3:55 pm   Permalink

Just received and email from TV's offering the Grog concentrate. Disclaimer says this is not Navy Grog concentrate. What's the difference? What drinks use the Grog concentrate? Recipe for the Tiki Puka Puka (which is one of my favorites) included with purchase. I always thought the Tiki Puka Puka used the Navy Grog concentrate . . . for that matter I didn't know there were two Grog concentrates . . .

Buy? Avoid? What's the collective wisdom/advice?

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rixzantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-14 5:52 pm   Permalink

I got the same email.
The disclaimer says it's not "Navy Grog Mix".
They use the "concentrate" to make those drinks at their restaraunts.

View Profile of rixzantis Send a personal message to rixzantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-02-14 8:24 pm   Permalink

Here's the full text from the TV website:

Quote:
Previously unavailable to the public. Available for a limited time. Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate. Our Signature Grog Concentrate is the Key ingredient in some of your favorite Trader Vic's Cocktail. Now you can make the Famous Navy Grog, or the sought after Tiki Puka Puka. DISCLAIMER PLEASE READ! THIS IS NOT NAVY GROG MIX, IT IS A GROG CONCENTRATE USED IN OUR RESTAURANTS. EACH ORDER WILL COME WITH A RECIPE FOR A TIKI PUKU PUKU AND NAVI GROG. THIS IS A CONCENTRATE ONLY 1/4 OZ. IS NEEDED PER DRINK. LIMITED TIME ONLY, NO RETURNS.

$30.00 for a three pack.
http://www.shoptradervics.com/collections/frontpage/products/trader-vics-grog-concentrate-3-pack

edit: out of stock, again. Link no longer works

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2013-03-07 08:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2013-04-02 16:15 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-14 11:22 pm   Permalink

Absolutely get it! This is the one truly secret ingredient in two great Trader Vic drinks, the Tiki Puka Puka and Navy Grog. I've had the rare opportunity to purchase this in the past. I stock up but always regret I didn't buy more because it really isn't normally available. With the Grog Concentrate you can make Tiki Puka Pukas identical or better than what is served in the restaurant. Don't buy them all though because I need to get some more! Now you need to find a source of gardinias to float in the drink. Remember, taste is 70%-75% smell.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-02-14 23:27 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 05:48 am   Permalink

Get 'em - the public can't usually buy them at all, so get them while you can.

A truly excellent Navy Grog isn't an easy drink to make & this Trader Vic's concentrate makes it WAY easier!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 06:05 am   Permalink

So is this Trader Vic's "Allspice dram" syrup mix?
It looks like it.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 06:33 am   Permalink

In essence yes but I've yet to find a recipe to successfully recreate it from allspice liquor. It is unique. There was a navy grog mix that they used to sell at retail but it was very different. Three oz. of it was required to make a Tiki Puka Puka instead of 1/4 to 1/3 oz. and the result was different. If you haven't guessed yet the Tiki Puka Puka is one of my favorite Trader Vic drinks and I have had it many times at their restaurants. I hold it in high esteem, right up there with the 1934 Zombie. When made using the recipe in the Trader's 1972 bartenders guide it has nearly the same as 4 oz. of 80 proof so a limit of two please!

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-02-15 06:35 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 06:51 am   Permalink

$30 is steep - I assume the unopened product has quite a shelf life??? Now that Chicago's TV is gone, this would be as close as I'd get. What rum(s) would pair up with this? 80 proof Demerara?

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 08:00 am   Permalink

Just placed my order. I doubt shelf life will be a problem. Most products of this nature have enough preservatives and stabilizers to keep them good for quite a long while.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-15 08:33 am   Permalink

I just placed my order for the 3-pack. $10. per bottle and $17.+ shipping - a little steep in my opinion as well but still, worth a try.
I wonder if they'll do the same for their Mai Tai concentrate?

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 08:50 am   Permalink

Whoa, no way - I have a few bottles of this stuff (got a couple at the restaurant, and a couple more on eBay). Shelf life is not a concern... I've been using my open bottle for 3-4 years now. Get it while you can, tiki peeps - you won't be disappointed.

I was hoping they were also selling their Mai Tai concentrate (not the commercially available version) but nope...

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 10:52 am   Permalink

So if I'm doing the math correctly (and I was an English major so all bets are off), three 1 liter bottles would give you enough mix for more than 405 cocktails. And at $30 (plus $13 s/h) that's about 10 cents a drink (minus rum costs).

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 12:06 pm   Permalink

Don't forget:
- grapefruit juice
- lemon juice
- lime juice
- rock candy syrup

The Rum Grog concentrate is only a syrup, not a complete mixer.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 12:35 pm   Permalink

OK,just pulled the trigger! Any other drink suggestions for using this stuff?

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 1:41 pm   Permalink

Trad'r Bill, what are the ingredients listed & is it full of
High Fructose Corn Syrup like other TV mixers?

Thanks...

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation