FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate-Aye or Nay?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate-Aye or Nay?
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-10 12:09 pm   Permalink

Forgot to say that i wrote about this topic on my blog - Navy Grog and Tiki Puka Puka - A taste test of grog mixers - http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=17557

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 4:43 pm   Permalink

Are they still selling the grog concentrate?

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 6:26 pm   Permalink

Check www.shoptradervics.com to learn the answer. While you're there pick up a 1939 style skull mug, much better than the previous cartoonish skull mug.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 6:31 pm   Permalink

Has anyone compared this to B.G.Reynolds Don’s Spices #2 mix?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 2:58 pm   Permalink

I didnt see it on there so I wasn't sure if there was a different site, ugh

Is there any shelf like on that concentrate (if it ever comes up for sale again)

I will buy 20 if there is no shelf life

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 05:25 am   Permalink

Ugh. I wish they'd sell it again.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 6:10 pm   Permalink

ATP, I have B.G. Reynolds Don's Spices #2 (DS2) and I compared it to the Grog Concentrate (GC) last night at your suggestion. While they are similar, to me the DS2 is a thicker and sweeter syrup with a definite vanilla flavor. I don't (or maybe barely) taste vanilla in the GC. Finally, thr DS2 has a much less pronounced allspice flavor (1/2 - 1/3).

If the recipe calls for 1/4 oz. of the GC you may need to use 3/4 oz. of DS2. I paid $10 for a 12 oz. bottle of the DS2 and a 750ml (23+ oz.) bottle of the GC cost me from $7 to $12, depending on when and where I bought it. Given that one uses less GC per drink it is much cheaper than DS2, if you can find it.

Soon I'll taste test a DS2 Navy Grog vs. the GC version. I bet they will both taste pretty good!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-15 6:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks! TropicDrinkBoy

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-16 05:20 am   Permalink

The Sarasota Trader vics GRILL - has the concentrate/ grog mix - Or did. They may be able to help in the purchase of a few or maybe someone in the area can provide assistance.

worth a call.

351 N Cattlemen Rd Sarasota, FL 34232
(941) 378-3900

http://tvislandbarandgrill.com/

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-19 10:28 pm   Permalink

ATP, I made a Navy Grog substituting 3/4 oz. of Trader Tiki (B.G. Reynolds) Don's Spices #2 (DS#2) for the 1/4 oz. of Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate (GC) and it was fantastic! I used the following recipe:

3/4 oz. lime
3/4 oz. grape fruit juice
3/4 oz. DS#2
1/4 oz. rock candy syrup
1 oz. El Dorado 3 yr.
1 oz. Coruba
2/3 oz. Lemon Hart 151

I preferred it over the 1/4 oz. GC version. As I mentioned in a previous post the DS#2 is a thicker and sweeter syrup than the GC so maybe it was the sweetness that sold me. I'll have to try a sweeter TV grog concentrate version with maybe 1/3 oz. of GC as that might be closer to my DS#2 version. The DS#2 definitely brought some interesting flavors to the drink. Give it a try sometime and let me know what you think!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-20 12:27 am   Permalink

Interesting! The B.G. Reynolds mix is all natural sugar based & I was wondering
if it would have a better taste overall, unlike the HFCS in the Vics mix.

TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-20 09:14 am   Permalink

The flavors of the two syrups are similar in that they both contain allspice but other than that are quite different. Personally I can't attribute the differences between the two grogs to the HFCS vs. cane sugar.

It's good that B.G. Reynolds is more available than the Trader Vic franchise GC but I know of only one retailer in the San Francisco bay area (Cask) that carries the product line. For most it will be a mail order purchase. I also love their Orgeat syrup.

TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-01 5:06 pm   Permalink

I've been experimenting a bit more with the Navy Grog using the Grog Concentrate. My favorite recipe so far is a slightly modified version of the recipe supplied with the concentrate, inspired by my Don's Spices #2 version. It is sweeter and has a little more of the Grog Concentrate than the official version. It is as follows:

1 oz. lime juice
3/4 oz. grape fruit juice
1/3 oz. Grog Concentrate
3/4 oz. Rock Candy Syrup
1 oz. light rum (El Dorado 3 year)
1 oz. dark rum (Coruba)
2/3 - 3/4 oz. Lemon Hart 151

To me the official version is dominated by the grape fruit juice flavor. Any other Grog Concentrate owners care to share their favorite recipes?

The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-03 5:27 pm   Permalink

Try this . . . you'll be in heaven . . .

juice of half lime
1 oz pineapple gomme syrup
.5 oz TV Navy Grog Concentrate
.5 oz Simple Syrup
1 oz El Dorado 3 yr White Demerara
1 oz El Dorado 5 yr Amber Demerara
1 oz LH151
2 dashes angostura bitters

very near the Smuggler's Rum Barrel . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-03 8:38 pm   Permalink

Will do Blue Kahuna! As of yesterday I had all those ingredients, including the Small Hand Foods Pineapple Gomme Syrup but I finished the El Dorado three year yesterday. I'll have to substitute Denizen which is an aged white that has a similar flavor.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation