FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate-Aye or Nay?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate-Aye or Nay?
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 05:41 am   Permalink

Let me know what you think . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 10:56 pm   Permalink

Blue Kahuna, your grog concentrate variant is a fantastic drink and is a great addition to the top flight Tiki drinks on my home bar's "big boy" menu! It goes right up there with the 1934 Zombie, Tiki Puka Puka, Trader Vic Navy Grog (original and sweet), Donn's Spices #2 Grog, Puka Punch, you get the picture. I think it is better than the Smuggler's Cove Rum Barrel but I'm going to order one next time I'm there just to be sure.

The way I made it, along with the Donn's Spices #2 variation I posted earlier in this thread, was a bit too sweet so I'll dial them back a bit the next time I make them. Thanks for sharing! I had that Pineapple Gomme Syrup sitting here for a long time but now I'm going to get another bottle the next time I visit Cask.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-07 01:03 am   Permalink

By the way BK, what should I call your drink on my menu? How about "The Kahuna"?

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-07 04:35 am   Permalink

Wow! Thanks for the props! I had a couple of those the other night they were so good, the next day I ordered two large bottles of pineapple gomme from SHF . . . now I'm waiting for it to get here!

So last night I had to figure something else out, so I made a Zombie variant, which was good, a little more on the sweet side, but still tasty (although I think I like the "rum barrel" better, more testing required )

juice of one lime
juice of one lemon
1/2 oz TV Navy Grog concentrate
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 oz Rasberry gomme syrup
1 oz pineapple juice
1 oz El Dorado 3 yr white
1 oz El Dorado 5 yr amber
1 oz LH151
couple shakes of angostura bitters

the sourness of all the fruit cuts through the sweetness of the rasberry . . . just seems to me that TV Navy Grog concentrate just sort of brings everything together in these drinks . . . I have exactly 1 oz of TV Navy Grog concentrate left of my first bottle . . . thank goodness I have two bottles left (but need to stock up if it goes up for sale again, good stuff!)

Cheers! And thanks again for the kind words!

[ This Message was edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2013-06-07 04:38 ]

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 07:28 am   Permalink

By the way, a Zombie variant that I enjoy is to make the Donn the Beachcomber 1934 but substitute around 1/2 oz. Domain de Canton Ginger Liquor for the Donn's Mix (2 parts grapefruit juice to 1 part cinnamon syrup). It results in a more complex and less sweet flavor.

The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 12:13 pm   Permalink

I'm going to try your Zombie variant next . . . in the meantime, it is now 97 degrees out and I am zeroing in on an afternoon sipper . . .

juice of 2 lemons (smallish)
1 oz grapefruit juice
1 oz pineapple juice
1 oz raspberry gomme syrup
.5 oz TV Navy Grog concentrate
.5 oz simple syrup
1 oz El Dorado 3yr Silver
1 oz El Dorado 5yr Amber
1 oz LH151
couple shakes of Angostura

. . . seems pretty okay!

[ This Message was edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2013-06-08 12:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2013-06-08 12:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2013-06-08 12:21 ]

Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-03 17:27, The Blue Kahuna wrote:
Try this . . . you'll be in heaven . . .

juice of half lime
1 oz pineapple gomme syrup
.5 oz TV Navy Grog Concentrate
.5 oz Simple Syrup
1 oz El Dorado 3 yr White Demerara
1 oz El Dorado 5 yr Amber Demerara
1 oz LH151
2 dashes angostura bitters

very near the Smuggler's Rum Barrel . . .

So this is what we now call the Kahuna! i`m gonna try this and put it out on my blog, will give credit to The Blue Kahuna! this recipe looks good!

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 7:05 pm   Permalink

Agreed. I'm almost tempted to order a bottle of piña gomme to give this recipe a try. Sounds outstanding.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 9:23 pm   Permalink

I am honored, thank you!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-09 09:36 am   Permalink

I noticed two ingredients mentioned in the above posts, one was pineapple gomme syrup and the other was raspberry gomme syrup. Can you please tell me if this is store bought or if it is homemade?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-09 4:48 pm   Permalink

From Small Hand Foods, here is their link http://smallhandfoods.com/

Good stuff!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 07:28 am   Permalink

Thank you.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-14 09:08 am   Permalink

Here is my blog post about the Kahuna - http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=17740

The drink is good i think and it`s like it was made for my Kala mug.

Credit to Blue Kahuna for inventing it!

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-14 2:53 pm   Permalink

Zowie, that's a beautiful mug - it would make any concoction taste out-of-this-world!

Mahalo!

GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-14 5:08 pm   Permalink

I just ordered "one-of-everything- from Small Hand Foods. Can't wait to try their "Gum Syrups"!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation