FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate-Aye or Nay?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate-Aye or Nay?
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-05 12:49 am   Permalink

It will be interesting to learn if the Sloshed recipe is anything like the grog mix. It's not clear from the blog post that they've ever had a Trader Vic Navy Grog. The vanilla flavor of the Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup is subtle.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-05 12:52 am   Permalink

Has anyone checked on the Blue Kahuna lately? I hope he made it through the weekend!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-05 5:35 pm   Permalink

. . . barely made it . . . it was worth it though . . .

. . . thanks for checking!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rixzantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-05 8:07 pm   Permalink

Check the TV website.
The Grog concentrate is back in stock!

View Profile of rixzantis Send a personal message to rixzantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 01:15 am   Permalink

Yeee haaa! While you're at it you might as well pick up the new reproduction of the original skull mug. It only recently became available again and is an exact copy of the one Trader Vic patented in 1938: http://www.shoptradervics.com/products/trader-vics-skull-mug . The ad speaks of using it with dry ice but today they serve it with a float of flaming 151 proof rum. Please extinguish the flame before drinking!

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-03-06 01:18 ]

poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-06 02:57 am   Permalink

Just tried to place an order... it lets you go through the entire checkout process right up to the confirmation page then says "sorry, we don't ship to Canada". Oh well.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-06 07:34 am   Permalink

Don't be discouraged. A few years ago, I tried ordering through their website (this was before it's revamp, mind you) and was told the same thing. Then I emailed them and was told that, in fact, they COULD ship to Canada, but that their website was not set up for that type of transaction. I ended up buying two of their large ceramic rum barrels and a few of their drink mixes (Navy Grog, Mai Tai, Ko Ko Kreme). I spoke to a very nice lady on the phone and she was quite accommodating figuring out totals, exchange rates, etc. I've since lost the emails from them, so I can't be much help I'm afraid. But start by emailing info@Tradervics.com and see where that takes you.

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-07 02:39 am   Permalink

Mahalo KahunaTiki for the e-mail to TV because i need to find out if they ship to Sweden. But if they don`t...no grog concentrate for me..jeez i just hope it won`t sell out again!

Also i can`t find anywhere on their site to set up an account..

In the mean time i`m gonna try to make this grog concentrate recipe by WillTiki
from the navy grog thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12468&forum=10&39

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2013-03-07 02:42 ]

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captainwhoopass
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-07 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-06 07:34, Kahuna Tiki wrote:
Don't be discouraged. A few years ago, I tried ordering through their website (this was before it's revamp, mind you) and was told the same thing. Then I emailed them and was told that, in fact, they COULD ship to Canada, but that their website was not set up for that type of transaction. I ended up buying two of their large ceramic rum barrels and a few of their drink mixes (Navy Grog, Mai Tai, Ko Ko Kreme). I spoke to a very nice lady on the phone and she was quite accommodating figuring out totals, exchange rates, etc. I've since lost the emails from them, so I can't be much help I'm afraid. But start by emailing info@Tradervics.com and see where that takes you.

That gives me some hope. I too recently tried to place an order only to get the message that they didn't ship to Canada. Three emails have gone unanswered so I had given up. Perhaps I will see if I can get a nice lady on the phone to help!

View Profile of Captainwhoopass Send a personal message to Captainwhoopass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-09 7:09 pm   Permalink

Has anyone combined the concentrate w/ honey mix yet? I just had one of these:

-juice of one small lime
- 1/2oz TVNGC [this needs turned up from 1/4 oz, I think some of us agree?]
- 1/4 oz honey mix
-3/4 oz gf juice
- 3/4 oz LH151(old)
- 1 oz Myers
- 1 oz Cruzan lite

Yes, a tad sweet, but one of the best cocktails I've had. Maybe this mix w/ a little soda h2o?

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-09 9:35 pm   Permalink

Sounds amazing!

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-10 12:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-05 00:49, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
It will be interesting to learn if the Sloshed recipe is anything like the grog mix. It's not clear from the blog post that they've ever had a Trader Vic Navy Grog. The vanilla flavor of the Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup is subtle.

For what it's worth, I've had enough Trader Vic's Navy Grogs and Tiki Puka Pukas (at various locations) to feel that the author has gotten pretty close with their recipe.

I think there's a (very) subtle distinction to be made between attempting to replicate the restaurant version down to the letter (in this case via the concentrate) and trying to recreate the recipe and its flavor profile by building it up via individual ingredients. Not to say one approach is inherently better than the other, it's just a different approach.

I've been happy to use the research others did to get a base recipe, and tweak it here and there to build a drink that I feel is a very close approximation to a Trader Vic's Navy Grog. And for that matter, Trader Vic's Grog Concentrate and the spiced syrup recipe are not the only 2 routes to that destination.

On another note, given the on again/off again nature of Trader Vics selling their "official" mix, it's good to have a more independent way to throw together a Navy Grog.

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-16 09:21 am   Permalink

Earlier in this thread it was asked, what other drinks can the Grog Concentrate be used for? Since it is primarily a (kinder and gentler) allspice syrup (with a few nuances) I've found it does well in drinks like the Nui Nui and Three Dots and a Dash (both in "Sippin' Safari"). Smuggler's Cove adds an Allspice syrup to their version of the Planter's Punch to very good effect. I tried a little Grog Concentrate in the "Stephen Remsberg Planter's Punch (found in "Beachbum Berry Remixed") and it was fantastic.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-16 8:13 pm   Permalink

I made my first Navy grog tonight with the TV Grog concentrate. I have to say it brought back sweet memories of going to Trader Vic in Beverly Hills and having Alfie the bartender make them for me. However it also tasted a lot like my St Elizabeth Allspice Dram so I have to say maybe I will try the home recipe that Heylownine posted before and compare them both.
I used Happy Buddha's recipe, next time I will try TV's own recipe.
I like the Grog Mix, glad I bought some.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-02 11:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-16 20:13, hiltiki wrote:
I made my first Navy grog tonight with the TV Grog concentrate. I have to say it brought back sweet memories of going to Trader Vic in Beverly Hills and having Alfie the bartender make them for me. However it also tasted a lot like my St Elizabeth Allspice Dram so I have to say maybe I will try the home recipe that Heylownine posted before and compare them both.
I used Happy Buddha's recipe, next time I will try TV's own recipe.
I like the Grog Mix, glad I bought some.

Hiltiki, like i said earlier in my pm i got the grog concentrate today and i did a side by side taste test between the grog concentrate, the elisabeth dram and my homemade grog mix and to my taste buds the TV grog conc wins over all. I find my homemade navy grog mix to be light and limey, the elisabeth dram to be more straightforward and one dimensional allspice while the TV grog concentrate is more complex and it has something in it that i cannot define, but it vaguely reminds me of root - or maybe kola nut?

I`m gonna make a navy grog drink taste test in the weekend and write about it on my blog but i also wanna try the Tiki puka puka with the grog concentrate.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation