FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Gunga Galunga

Posted: 2013-02-27 9:24 pm   Permalink

Don't get me wrong, actually enjoyed the place immensely, and yes, I'm planning on being there the 10th, along with probably 200 others for what I'm sure will be a great time. Sure, a little extra bourbon never hurt!

View Profile of Gunga Galunga Send a personal message to Gunga Galunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-28 09:59 am   Permalink

What you as a new poster cannot know is that the fact that Bahooka's mixology is sadly lacking has been discussed and explained here on numerous occasions. Also mentioned has been the fact that nowadays folks that have come from the craft cocktail movement or are otherwise new to Tiki take it for granted that vintage bars should provide such sophisiticated fare (I am not saying that's you!). In this case I always like to quote from my foreword to Tiki Road Trip:

...and that's what Bahooka truly is now, "Paradise Lost"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-28 10:06 am   Permalink

Words of wisdom! I'm gonns miss that place.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-28 10:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-28 09:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

100% agreed

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-28 10:31 am   Permalink

Just to be redundant, yes!

The atmosphere, The sense of history that draws us to these well worn temples
and the possibility that a cocktail fueled visit from your parents, many years hence
might have led to your conception........priceless!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-28 11:06 am   Permalink

Very well put.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-28 11:20 am   Permalink

I just wish I would have been able to go, and get a mug.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-28 4:55 pm   Permalink

Me too, Hale!

:'-(

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-01 9:18 pm   Permalink

I will raise a toast with my Corona beer with a Lime in it
to the History of Bahooka.

hey the Lime makes it tiki,
Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-02 12:36 am   Permalink

Trip report.

They're doing red cups for single drinks. So the clear choice is do the bowl. It's still in the pretzel bowl, but far more classier than red cups, and flaming.

Went through 8 bowls of booze. The wait was around 2 1/2 hours for a group of 8 getting there at 7. They were really cool about it and it died down as the night progressed.

Shirts $40.
Tiki party papers far too much.

My advice for anyone going. Enjoy the bar while you wait. They don't do food there anymore, but it's great to get your drink on. Paper menus only now.

I'm gonna miss this place.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 08:33 am   Permalink

To clarify: they don't do food at the aquarium bar anymore.

The wait is a funny thing: Another friend went for a dinner date yesterday eve, on a Friday night, mind you, and he said he got seated with in 10 minutes. I think the word got around that there is a 2 hour+ wait and people are staying away....at least, apparently, last night they did

This weekend it's gonna be swamped for sure, it is primarily a family place, and whole tribes are gonna descend on it

Here is the front and back of the ORIGINAL 1967 Bahooka menu:

I will start a Bahooka memorial photo thread, in this one no one apparently owns a camera

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-02 1:49 pm   Permalink

It seems that small parties are easy to get turned over. My party of 11 had to wait a while, though it was alright since for the majority of that time we just polished off bowl after bowl at the bar area.

It got an ebb and flow of people. Going from an empty bar top for a good ten minute stretch to just being swarmed. Ended up in the party room and I can't say a thing bad about the experience. It was really a reminder of how this place may not be fancy pants tiki, it's still one hell of a night of experience that will be missed greatly.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfluver626

Posted: 2013-03-03 12:51 am   Permalink

Growing up in West Covina, the Bahooka was our family's go to spot for dinner. In 1980, that all changed, but we would still drive to Rosemead for special occasions. The Bahooka has been a special place for me for over 40 years, giving me times I will always cherish. Here's to you Bahooka, you will always live on in our memories.

Now, on a side note: My friend and I went to the Bahooka Friday afternoon (3-1-13). Everything I was read on Bahooka's Facebook page stated 2-4 p.m. was the best time to go. As we walked in, there were a few people waiting to be seated. It was not overly crowded and we went to place our names. We were told 45 minutes to an hour wait. There was a table set up selling items from the restaurant and t-shirts. I did happen to notice the price on the t-shirts was $40.00. I questioned the man working the table about the price as they have listed $30.00 for t-shirts on their Facebook page. He did not choose to answer my question. While waiting, I walked around taking some photos and I noticed a lot of empty tables throughout the restaurant. It made me wonder, with all these empty seats, why was the wait as long as it was? (Over an hour). I am a little sad because everything I read says they are not closing because of money issues, but yet they sure seem to be trying to get top dollar for what they are selling off.

View Profile of surfluver626 Send a personal message to surfluver626      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-03 02:00 am   Permalink

Um, just because they have space to seat you, doesn't mean they have the wait staff or the kitchen crew to handle you at a table.

Having been there twice since word got out, they have been slammed during the peak hours. I don't fault them for squeezing as much money out of whatever they can. Always the option to not buy it. Then again, it's either them selling it at that price or an ebay seller charging twice the amount.

Maybe I'm just upset cause I never got the nautical mug.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 07:27 am   Permalink

The reason for the wait is not space or tables (there NEVER was a lack of that at Bahooka's ), it's lack of staff. They are not hiring extra staff for the onslaught, and they want to guarantee you get your service and your meal prepared in a regular timely manner.

But they do seem a bit burned out, like they are dwindling down. Joe and Nicole Desmond were visiting from New York just to see the place, and I recommended the ribs, for size and for falling of the bone, and what came looked like a pile of left overs, it was embarrassing. Obviously those weren't the last ribs ever served, but they might have ran out temporarily, or the main cook needed a break, or whatever.

All I am saying is it'll be a lucky number game when you get there in terms of wait time and food. I had the greatest meal with that NPR reporter there just a couple of days earlier.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation