FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-03 07:49 am   Permalink

Speaking of NPR...here's a link to the show. Click 'listen now'.

www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2013/03/01/30728/vintage-los-angeles-the-closing-of-bahooka-tiki-re/#comments

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfluver626

Posted: 2013-03-03 09:16 am   Permalink

@ bigbrotiki, I was there friday at the same time you were. My friend had also ordered the ribs. I ordered the sandwich and rib combo. Mine was very good with two good size ribs. Hers was a pile of rib pieces but still had good flavor. The wait staff was in a good mood and semed happy to be serving us. With this said, we will still be back at leest once more before they close their doors for good.

View Profile of surfluver626 Send a personal message to surfluver626      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 10:01 am   Permalink

Yes, go people go while you can.

And that link above...Who's Allison Martino ?

Well, public radio has been all over the closing story, the other day there also was an Off Ramp segment where John Rabe talked to Chris Nichols about it, Chris being the driving force of the LA Conservancy's Modern Committee and LA Magazine blogger about rare architecture in LA.

MY interview was for "The Dinner Party Download" and airs on KPCC at 3:00 p.m today (just posted this in the Bahooka Memorial thread):

http://www.scpr.org/programs/dinner-party-download/

(for 6 minutes only, between minutes 33:00 to 39:00

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-03-03 21:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-03-03 11:31 am   Permalink

Alison Martino is a fan of vintage LA Polynesian restaurants and vintage LA. She has posted quite a few pics of old tiki palaces on her Vintage Los Angeles Facebook page. According to her webpage http://vintagelosangeles.net/ she produces TV shows and documentaries on vintage Hollywood and Los Angeles.

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-03 11:32 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 11:53 am   Permalink

Withdrawn for being too catty

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-03-03 21:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-03-04 2:55 pm   Permalink

Bahooka just posted on Facebook that they will be closed until lunch on Thursday.

chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 2:59 pm   Permalink

Drat!

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-03-04 3:03 pm   Permalink

They changed it again. Now they're going to be closed just on Wednesday.

chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 3:04 pm   Permalink

lol, I can't keep up

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-04 6:46 pm   Permalink

Went yesterday because it might be the last time I have the chance to go. Decided to leave LA at 10:30 even though Bahooka doesn't open til noon. That was a good plan as it turned out.

This was the line that stretched around the other side of the building by 11:45. We were like the 5th or 6th group in the front. They opened at 12 and we got seated in just a few minutes. The staff was great and they were really busy but we got everything that we needed and we were in no hurry anyway.
Grabbed a Bahooka Bowl.

Then we ordered our food.

I thought that the fish would be a fitting last meal...

Ruffus didn't enjoy my humor.

Please make sure that you make it there if you can in the last week they are open. It was good to show up an hour before they open to avoid any wait time. But it is worth the wait. You will regret not going, so go and enjoy yourself. They are selling the shirts for $40, but where are you going to get one next week? It was well worth the trip from San Diego. Just get in your car and drive there...

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SPYrateRadio
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-06 7:24 pm   Permalink

Where To Find Tiki Drinks and Decor in L.A. Now That Bahooka Is Closing

http://losangeles.grubstreet.com/2013/03/tiki-restaurants-bars-los-angeles-guide.html

With the news that Rosemead's 45-year-old Tiki shrine Bahooka Family Restaurant is set to close this Sunday, we again have to face the fact that the region's once robust scene of kitschy Polynesian-style drinking and dining is at risk of disappearing. So where are you going to go to find wooden masks, split bamboo trim, jovial wastrels in Hawaiian shirts and leis, and tropical drinks now? Take a look in our guide to the few good Tiki bars still left in L.A.

Click the link to read more...

View Profile of SPYrateRadio Send a personal message to SPYrateRadio  Email SPYrateRadio Goto the website of SPYrateRadio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TwoChordTom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-06 8:25 pm   Permalink

Stopped by for a late lunch yesterday and had a great time as always. Some of the "stuff" is already gone from the place. They are selling some cool tiki pendants that say "Goodbye Bahooka - 2013". Somebody told us that they are having an auction on March 17th. Don't know if this is true or not. Wait was about a half hour at 1:30.

View Profile of TwoChordTom Send a personal message to TwoChordTom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 8:38 pm   Permalink

if true
They are selling some cool tiki pendants that say "Goodbye Bahooka - 2013".
Would need one.
pay and pay for shipping.

sad it disappearing

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TwoChordTom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-06 10:22 pm   Permalink

I purchased six of these pendants and I think were either $30 or $40 per pendant. Our waiter was cool enough to throw in a hanging parrot as well. I'll post of photo of the group who was wearing them with Rufus in the background. In the photo you will also see a great piece of original art by Eric October who delivered this piece to us while we were at the Bahooka. Drinks included the Bahooka Bowl, several Grenades with the pins pulled, Fire Fly and the Honey Bowl.

View Profile of TwoChordTom Send a personal message to TwoChordTom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TwoChordTom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-06 10:25 pm   Permalink

One more photo to enjoy...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation