FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
nichols
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-15 3:15 pm   Permalink

I interviewed Ms. Schneider this afternoon. This building was on the market for one day. I asked her why she didn't reach out to the tiki community to find a new sympathetic owner but she didn't have an answer...

My story:
http://www.lamag.com/citythink/askchris/2013/02/15/bahooka-the-craziest-most-wonderful-tiki-restaurant-in-la-to-close

[ This Message was edited by: nichols 2013-02-15 15:15 ]

View Profile of nichols Send a personal message to nichols      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 3:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-15 14:59, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'm so glad I got to visit Bahooka & so sad I can't be there to properly say goodbye. This is exactly why I've beem making pilgrimages to these places I love so much, even though they're 3000 miles away. I at least have memories, pictures & souvenirs, not just empty wishes that I had visited these places before they were gone. People, if you have not been to SoCal to experience the Tiki scene firsthand, you need to find a way. No excuses! Don't take for granted that these places will be there forever. Get out from behind you computers & experience life!!!!!!

Spot on Big Kahuna. I'm 8000 miles away, in another country, and last year i took out a loan from the bank for this exact reason, to experience as many of the original Tiki bar establishments from Tikis heyday, before there was the chance that they might disappear.
Whilst the food and drinks we had left a lot to be desired, the venue was/is great and i was really well looked after by the manager when i was there. It's good to know that i got to see it once, but extremely sad knowing that it won't be there if i ever return.

P.S. I hope they find a good home for Rufus.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 3:38 pm   Permalink

DAMMIT!
I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO GO!

This makes me eternally sad to lose another fantastic location before I could visit it. Checking flights now...

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BuzDeadwax
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-15 3:40 pm   Permalink

I'll be in LA the 23-25th this month! I hope they're still in one piece until then!

View Profile of BuzDeadwax Send a personal message to BuzDeadwax  Email BuzDeadwax Goto the website of BuzDeadwax     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-15 3:44 pm   Permalink

Sad news while I am on vacation. I wish I could make it this weekend, but I will have to go this month for sure. Very sad that this historic place is going to be gone soon. Sucks.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-15 4:00 pm   Permalink

This is really sad news. Wow. that was the one place I went too a lot. Though I missed out on both the 40th anniversary mug and the other corral reef one. I do have Rufus... speaking of which, what is going to happen to all those fishes?

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 4:23 pm   Permalink

sucky

what about Pacu?
the big fishy guy?

have a handgrenade with pin pulled for me!!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 4:36 pm   Permalink

don the viking helmets !! barbarians at the gate !! let the plundering begin!! arrrrrrghhh !!!

I hope the new owners aren't going to sell the fish to their customers to eat them !!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 7:37 pm   Permalink

This is sad news. I have had nothing but fond memory's there. We should have one last visit to The Bahooka !

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 8:52 pm   Permalink

"The new owner wants the building and the liquor license . . ."
Sad news. I visited within 24 hours within learning of it years ago.
After 46 years, it has withstood the test of time, but not the owners' respect,
Not even after years of paying rent.

The "silver lining" is a gorgeous Hawaiian plantation-style restaurant opened nearby:
http://www.canoehouserestaurant.com/index.html

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-15 10:26 pm   Permalink

Another OG Tiki Est in the history books. This is a real bummer. I will do my best to go there one last time before they close.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 12:24 am   Permalink

I am so totally bummed out to hear the news... and getting more bummed out the more I think about it... After Tonga Hut, Bahookah is the tiki place Manuel and I have visited the most...

So sad to hear it will be no more... a great tiki destination in an area (that stretch of Rosemead Boulevard that had a vintage tiki restaurant and tiki apartments) that was totally tiki from the heyday of tiki...

...And Bahooka was a great way to extend a tiki weekend, on the way back from the desert (Mojave Oasis or Caliente) or San Diego (Tiki Oasis)... stopping off for lunch or dinner at Bahooka was a must... heck, we could even work out a stop at Bahooka from a return trip from Disneyland... or even Don's!

Dang, I'm getting teary eyed just thinking of all the GREAT times we've had at Bahooka... Tiki Magazine release parties, Tikiyaki, New Year's Eve, new mug releases, Tikis & Terrors (going WAY back... and where I first had the inkling that tiki was something to which I could really connect and explore)... and even just saying let's go have dinner at Bahooka... So many memories that I now realize will only be memories, not the ongoing experience I complacently expected to always be there...

I'll cherish the memories, but lament what I will forever miss... Just thankful we had the opportunity to visit so many times!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 01:15 am   Permalink

I bet the Bahooka is responsible for many a child forming a positive impression of tiki places. When I was there on vacation with friends in 2005, one of the staff set my girlfriend's niece's milk on fire via a suspended crouton soaked in alcohol. To that little girl, it was magic and I know she associated it with the concept of a dimly lit restaurant full of colorful lamps and wooden gods.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 03:03 am   Permalink

that is just so sad. Why, why, why ? When will they understand that those places are history, and they should be preserved ? I don't care about new owners, but just keep the place how it was, keep the chef, keep it alive. Damn.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-16 06:35 am   Permalink

Too bad.
All the old skool joints going out sucks.
Some of the new ones got that new tiki smell that for me just don't cut it.

But... as a side note this thread was posted one day ago and has 2,322 hits and is three
pages long.
Yup Tikicentral is dying, Nobodys commin here no more.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation