FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-16 06:53 am   Permalink

It hurts my Tiki soul that I'll never have the opportunity to visit the Bahooka... no experiences or memories, only the mug as an artifact of another lost kingdom of faux Polynesia...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 07:50 am   Permalink

Man, this is such a bummer. We JUST filmed a segment for a show called "World's Weirdest Restaurants" that was due to air on The Food Network (albeit in Canada). It could have sparked much more interest in the place. I guess the family needed money quickly for a medical thing though... What a shame. Visit and enjoy your local tiki bar. You never know when these places will shut down.
I'm sincerely gonna miss this eclectic place and all of the fish and decor...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 08:53 am   Permalink

Did the twofer New year's week. Went to Oceanic Arts, then our ONE time visit to the Bahooka. Had some drinks took a lot of pics, but had NO idea they were going out of business. So glad we made it!!! Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 09:47 am   Permalink

Very sad indeed, another one that will not be on my "must see" list when I finally make it out West again. BK, Well put and great advice...hey if you thinking about firing up the AWESOME '59 and heading out to the coast, I'm kinda' on the way. OGR

[ This Message was edited by: Or Got Rum? 2013-02-16 10:45 ]

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-16 06:53, TikiTomD wrote:
It hurts my Tiki soul that I'll never have the opportunity to visit the Bahooka... no experiences or memories, only the mug as an artifact of another lost kingdom of faux Polynesia...

-Tom

Tom, you do still have the opportunity, the Bahooka is open for 3 more weeks !!

Even for a Tiki bar (Nautical Beachcomber fish tank really), the place is unique. There will never be another place like it again. Plus it was an event there which inspired the Bigbro to write the BOT. The rest is history !!

If I could go back in time and book a last minute flight to visit the Kahiki before it closed, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

When will you have another opportunity to close down (forever) a historic Tiki bar with at least a hundred other kindred Tiki souls ??

The Bahooka usually closes at 9pm on Sundays but on that last night they're willing to stay open until 2am for us. It should be a night to remember.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-02-16 10:05 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 10:04 am   Permalink

My birthday is March 10th so I booked a table for 20 at 7:30. See ya there to feed Rufus one last time.

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robtikiti
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-16 10:28 am   Permalink

TO EVERYONE OUTSIDE OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...

This is why you need to go to your local tiki establishments, spend some money, and let the owners know you appreciate them and want their business to go on.

You can't just be a passive "tiki fan" and expect wonderful places like Bahooka to always be there.

So if you're in Portland OR, Washington DC, Pittsburgh PA or Florida or Wisconsin or places in between and can't make it to Rosemead CA in the next few weeks, go out tonight to your favorite tapa cloth-decorated purveyor of fruity, flaming, rum-soaked cocktails and raise a toast to the Bahooka and all dearly departed tiki destinations.

ALOHA BAHOOKA!

View Profile of robtikiti Send a personal message to robtikiti  Goto the website of robtikiti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt. R.H. Falernum
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 10:39 am   Permalink

The saddest thing to me, as PolyPop pointed out last night, is that the Bahooka isn't selling because a lack of business (but due to the owner's family need for medical expenses and that they were ready to retire). So, it could have been sold in a manner that would have kept the decor/atmosphere intact.

There didn't seem to be much of a chance for competition, though, as the venue sold after being on the market for one day.

View Profile of Capt. R.H. Falernum Send a personal message to Capt. R.H. Falernum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 10:43 am   Permalink

Solid words spoken Robtikiti, unfortunately I guess that means I'm staying home again That is why i have to live vicariously through you fine folks on TC for the time being....please relish your BAHOOKA memories...and take lots of pics. OGR

[ This Message was edited by: Or Got Rum? 2013-02-16 10:44 ]

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TwoChordTom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-16 11:17 am   Permalink

This is sad news. If the owners are doing this because they need the cash, then perhaps some of the local Tiki folks can help them post a list of the items that they want to sell that are "not nailed to the wall". Set sale or auction. That way, they can get cash and we can support them. I've been there a half dozen times and loved each visit. The first time was stopping there for drinks, then heading to Trader Vics when it was in the corner building of the Hilton, then ending up at the Tiki Ti. What's best is that I can even remember most of the evening. I may pop on by tomorrow or Monday for one more grenade with the pin pulled.

View Profile of TwoChordTom Send a personal message to TwoChordTom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 11:50 am   Permalink

Ugh... this is incredibly depressing.

Old, Weird, America is dying.

We visited Bahooka for the first (and, evidently, last) time this past summer when a last-minute
deal prompted a whirlwind trip to LA to visit as many tiki bars (and other interesting places) as
we could find the time for.

Bahooka was easily in our top 5 (and we went to something like 25-30 places.) We spent several hours there, and learned some of the history of the place from the friendly bartender who, as it turns out, was the owner.

It is CERTAINLY the only place in the world where these two interests intersect:

If there was any way we could make it back that way for a proper send off, we would. On the bright side, we'll be going to Chef Shangri La tonight, so not all is gloom and doom.

Say goodbye for us tiki homies who couldn't be there...

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robtikiti

Posted: 2013-02-16 11:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-16 11:17, TwoChordTom wrote:
If the owners are doing this because they need the cash, then perhaps some of the local Tiki folks can help them post a list of the items that they want to sell that are "not nailed to the wall".

As per Capt. Falernum above and the LA Mag piece, they're not "going out of business" as much as they just sold it.

Obviously, we can't judge. They had their own personal needs to look after, not the needs of a bunch of festively dressed alcoholics. If they got the price on this listing --
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18016418/4501-Rosemead-Boulevard-Rosemead-CA/ -- then hopefully they will be able to cover all of their medical and retirement needs. Anything made off of selling the decor will be a bonus.

http://www.lamag.com/citythink/askchris/2013/02/15/bahooka-the-craziest-most-wonderful-tiki-restaurant-in-la-to-close

View Profile of robtikiti Send a personal message to robtikiti  Goto the website of robtikiti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-16 10:28, robtikiti wrote:
TO EVERYONE OUTSIDE OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...

This is why you need to go to your local tiki establishments, spend some money, and let the owners know you appreciate them and want their business to go on.

You can't just be a passive "tiki fan" and expect wonderful places like Bahooka to always be there.

So if you're in Portland OR, Washington DC, Pittsburgh PA or Florida or Wisconsin or places in between and can't make it to Rosemead CA in the next few weeks, go out tonight to your favorite tapa cloth-decorated purveyor of fruity, flaming, rum-soaked cocktails and raise a toast to the Bahooka and all dearly departed tiki destinations.

ALOHA BAHOOKA!

Preaching to the choir, I would just like to include Calif. also, as all our Tiki Palaces
need to be supported every where!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robtikiti

Posted: 2013-02-16 2:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-16 14:02, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Preaching to the choir, I would just like to include Calif. also, as all our Tiki Palaces
need to be supported every where!

Agreed. My exhortation was more focused at those lamenting their inability to visit Bahooka for geographical reasons.

Though other Southern California locations have closed for lack of business, this does not seem to be the case for Bahooka.

Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 4:59 pm   Permalink

Very sad to find out this news yesterday. Glad to have had as many as as we did there even though we didn't live in the area.

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation