FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Harveys

Posted: 2013-02-16 5:39 pm   Permalink

Being new to this site !
Where can i find a compiled list of the Tiki bars, resturants and motels in SoCal.
Then when I venture out further where to go?
Thanks
Harvey

View Profile of Harveys Send a personal message to Harveys  Email Harveys     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 6:23 pm   Permalink

For a list of California's past and present tiki locations...

Humuhumu's Critiki: California

Perhaps others can provide some highlites and "must see" locations.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 7:02 pm   Permalink

Maybe it's because I'm in commercial lending and jaded, but they're only selling this place for $3.3MM? That's it? I mean, it's way more bones than I have in my pocket, but I'm surprised there's isn't someone or some venturous consortium of dude that want to poll some money into buying this. Not even someone with a "Hollywood" entertainment equity investor?

I know there's alot more to owning and running an establishment liekthis than just coughing up the cash to buy it, but if it wasn't running in the red, that would seem to bode well for another investor to buy it from the family.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 7:06 pm   Permalink

ok, so I just read the LA Magazine article and- well, scratch my previous post since the restaurant SOLD after one day on the market. I mean, that's good for the economy, but so much for my hopes of a new owner swooping in to carry on the Bahooka's legacy.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-17 01:57 am   Permalink

Yeah, it sold quickly because hell, buying a prime location like that and getting the liquor license was far cheaper than what hoops you'd have to go through otherwise.

Went there last night. Man was it packed. It seemed like business per usual. They were well out of any mugs. Though I knew they were out of the Ruffus mugs around January.

Gotta go a couple more times before it's a final farewell. Gonna miss that place.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-17 04:26 am   Permalink

Word is a Chinese company bought it to convert to a "Authentic Chinese restaurant".

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-17 07:55 am   Permalink

Great, another "seafood palace"....at least we know what will happen to the fish tanks!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-17 08:19 am   Permalink

Hey it's better than a Wallgreens, right ?? !!

Face it, the Bahooka merely went through the standard lifespan of your typical family run business. This one just happened to be Tiki. We should feel fortunate the Bahooka lasted for as long as it did, a true anomaly especially for a Mid-century style Nautical/Beachcomber restaurant.

The family worked hard to keep the place going during the bad old devolution days, and before the Tiki Revival and the embracement of ironic kitsch. I wish them well.

Edited for spelling.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-02-17 08:25 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-17 4:08 pm   Permalink

Had dinner at Bahooka last night on our way back from Disneyland... we were racing to get there before the 10:30 closing, but lilusako, who we were meeting there, got to the restaurant first and told us there was an hour wait, and Bahooka would stay open to accommodate the crowd.

We got there at 10:15, and the place as still packed! People coming and going, and lots of people taking photos. We got drinks at the bar while we waited for our table, and were seated at 10:45... Chico was our server, and he told us at one point, there was a 2.5 hour wait, but people stuck it out, and kept on comin'! He said he was beat!

We didn't leave until almost 1am, and on our way out, we saw people still at tables.

It's great to see people coming out for their last chance to experience Bahooka, but it's still so sad... gotta keep remembering the good times to keep my spirits up!

Go while you still can!!!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-17 5:23 pm   Permalink

Two years ago, I spent some of one of the best days in my life at the Bahooka. It is truly one of a kind. Someone NEEDS to purchase that anti-aircraft gun outside for their home bar. It would look great on a front lawn alongside a flaming Moai...

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robtikiti
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-17 8:45 pm   Permalink

This just in: Word from the bar (I'm literally at the bar posting this) is that there are two offers on the table. One is the conversion to another restaurant, the other is to buy the place intact.

So there may yet be hope!

View Profile of robtikiti Send a personal message to robtikiti  Goto the website of robtikiti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-17 9:27 pm   Permalink

Man, I wish someone will buy it out right. I'm not going to hate on them. I love the place, but someone new to re-do the menu to actually make it not just "soak up alcohol" food and make it real poly-pop cuisine would be amazing.

I want to hold out hope that someone takes it off their hands and avoids the situation of Hong Kong Inn that is happening to these family restaurant establishments now that the generation is at retirement age.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-17 10:41 pm   Permalink

Another fabulous Tiki Bar I have not been too...boo hoo. I am sorry to hear it is being sold in order to afford healthcare for a sick family member, that has got to be such a challenge for them, I wish them the best. I hope many of the Tikiphiles will link up with the decor, perhaps sales of those items will also help the owners in leaving. Take lot's of pictures as history is sadly slipping into the dark brine.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 11:40 am   Permalink

Actually Marlene, it's not so much the money that's needed as it is having to manage both a restaurant and family health issues at the same time.

On a lighter note, I call dibs on this !!...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 3:31 pm   Permalink

Yea, this is one of the few occasions when a tiki establishment is NOT closing due to lack of business....which makes it even sadder and more ironic.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation