FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-18 4:01 pm   Permalink

Well bless them for putting family first...that has got to be such a hard decision.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
belinda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 5:56 pm   Permalink

we went last night & i the bartender said they have 2 offers: 1 is a chinese restaurant deal & the other is from the owner of a chic swanky downtown l.a bar

View Profile of belinda Send a personal message to belinda  Goto the website of belinda     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
belinda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 5:57 pm   Permalink

why are they so secretive about making their drinks?
was anyone as confused as i was the 1st time i went there & saw how coca cola is a tiki drink ingredient ? & red wine?

View Profile of belinda Send a personal message to belinda  Goto the website of belinda     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 6:36 pm   Permalink

My money's on the chic swanky downtown l.a. bar owner !! Go "chic swanky" Go !!

With any luck it's Andrew Meieran. He did a pretty good job on the Edison and is currently renovating Clifton's.

He might be ahead of the curve. I always knew Rosemead had the potential to be the next "IT" neighborhood.

At least the Tropical cocktails will be good under his ownership.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
belinda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 7:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-18 18:36, JOHN-O wrote:

With any luck it's Andrew Meieran. He did a pretty good job on the Edison and is currently renovating Clifton's.

He might be ahead of the curve. I always knew Rosemead had the potential to be the next "IT" neighborhood.

-------------- did you know he has a tiki bar planned for cliftons?
but i dont know if it will open after cliftons re-opens or not..
i just hope that the waiters & cooks etc remain employed there....

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 7:09 pm   Permalink

Funny you should say that Belinda. Stay tuned.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
belinda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 7:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-18 19:09, JOHN-O wrote:
Funny you should say that Belinda. Stay tuned.

------------- oooooooh !

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 7:27 pm   Permalink

I was there tonight as well. The bartender and the lady working at the office both said they had two offers and one buyer is going to leave the place as is and not change anything.. so they are not sure what is happening and who will get the place..
I had the zombie there for the fist time, wow it is strong and not too bad...

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-18 19:03, belinda wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-02-18 18:36, JOHN-O wrote:

-------------- did you know he has a tiki bar planned for cliftons?
but i dont know if it will open after cliftons re-opens or not..
i just hope that the waiters & cooks etc remain employed there....

It feels like it has been forever. When is Clifton's re-opening?!!?

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackskeleton 2013-02-18 23:40 ]

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
20th Century Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:52 pm   Permalink

Carol and I drove out from Thousand Oaks tonight to get in another visit to Bahooka before it was gone. This was our fourth visit in the past year and we sat down for some Mai Tais and a Cobra Strike. Credit to our waiter (name?) who took my Mai Tai back twice for the bartender to get the rum/mix balanced right (he received the generous tip). Parking lot was full and the place was packed out; they had huge birthday parties in both the two big rooms! We talked to Darlene, the lovely lady at the cashier window, about the place closing and she said the story actually broke before they were ready to announce it. As a result, the place has been a madhouse. Like John O. we, too, hope that someone like Mike Meyerlein will buy this amazing place, fix it up, and preserve it for future generations to be amazed at. We'd also definitely like to attend a farewell(?) party with the rest of TC Nation on March 10. Hopefully instead of a farewell, we'll be celebrating some positive news!

Let us know the details when you can?
Glenn & Carol

View Profile of 20th Century Man Send a personal message to 20th Century Man  Email 20th Century Man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
20th Century Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 11:11 pm   Permalink

SORRY! I badly mangled the spelling of Andrew Meieran's name in my post above. Even if he's not the potential L.A. club owner considering buying Bahooka, apologies are all mine...

View Profile of 20th Century Man Send a personal message to 20th Century Man  Email 20th Century Man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-19 07:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-18 22:52, 20th Century Man wrote:
. Credit to our waiter (name?) who took my Mai Tai back twice for the bartender to get the rum/mix balanced right

Really? Twice? I am sure you are very nice people, but being a former restaurant manager, this kind of stuff really bothers me. it causes needless work for the staff, who mostly are getting paid minimum wage. When I go to a restaurant, unless there is a fly or hair in my food or drink, I am not sending anything back. If the food or drink is not good, I just don't eat there any more.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-19 08:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-18 22:46, tikijackskeleton wrote:
It feels like it has been forever. When is Clifton's re-opening?!!?

Late 2013 or early 2014, although it may be a phased approach. The Tiki Bar, which will be named the "South Seas" (Yay !!) was originally supposed to be on the Regency-style 3rd floor, and then the basement, will now be on the 4th floor which used to house office space.

And sending your Tiki drink back twice at the Bahooka ?? That's funny. Almost like having a fast food joint redo your burger twice because it was overdone or underdone.

Don't be pulling that shit on March 10th. Haha.

And yes Lucas, Glenn and Carol are VERY nice people.

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-19 10:18 am   Permalink

Feb 18 2013 article

L.A. Weekly: Bahooka Closing in March

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-19 10:26 am   Permalink

So bummed... was planning to visit the Bahooka for the first time on our trip south in April.

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation