FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-19 8:35 pm   Permalink

This is what I heard today, not sure about anything anymore. Clifton's owner is going to use the decor of Bahooka's on the second floor of the new Clifton's which is going to be a tike-style bar.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-19 8:41 pm   Permalink

So floors 2 and 4 are now going to be Tiki themed. Boy, how the rumors fly. I wish they would just keep Bahooka's in Rosemead. Having it near all those Polynesian apartments is always a nice drive.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-20 08:59 am   Permalink

Bahooka just posted on Facebook that they will no longer be taking reservations and to expect a several hours wait to eat on the weekend.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DeadMeadow

Posted: 2013-02-21 03:33 am   Permalink

Hey just been posting this everywhere since getting back from Bahooka this evening and talking to some of the waiters.. the real fate for the place could be a parking lot not a restaurant... IF this is true please spread the word. There is not a definite buyer just offers right now.. Maybe there is someone out there that will step up and save it.

facebook post below...

Just found out the legendary Bahooka tiki restaurant in Rosemead CA is closing on March 10th.. a sad day for us and all of the ideas that came from their fire bowls. At this point there is not a definite sale but some offers pending. One offer is it to be a parking lot for the hospital nearby. One seasoned waiter seems to think that might be the real fate in the end. Spread the word, maybe there is an investor out there that can restore this landmark and keep it alive for the future? If not be sure to make it out there by March 10th cause that is it.

View Profile of DeadMeadow Send a personal message to DeadMeadow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 05:12 am   Permalink

UGH!!!!! Not knowing the true fate is jsut torture!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 09:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 03:33, DeadMeadow wrote:
One offer is it to be a parking lot for the hospital nearby. One seasoned waiter seems to think that might be the real fate in the end.

This is, in fact, true.

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
20th Century Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-21 4:00 pm   Permalink

As a minor follow-up point to my post of a few days ago, when we visited Bahooka on Monday night they were using photocopied menus that were difficult to read. We asked our waiter where the regular menus were and he said in the two days since the word went out the restaurant was closing virtually ALL OF THEIR MENUS WERE STOLEN. No doubt some of them are now in the hands of a few TCers and other selfish individuals only looking out for themselves. So for the next three weeks patrons have to use crappy paper menus to order from. When I asked Darlene at the front desk about them she told me the menus would have been included among the items auctioned off with the decor after the restaurant closes.

So there's some money that won't be going to the Schneiders family to help pay the aforementioned medical bills. And the rest of us won't get a chance to bid on those pieces of Bahooka history. I'm sure it won't be long before they start showing up on craiglist or eBay for a ridiculous amount. Now everyone on TikiCentral will know that anyone who sells a Bahooka menu stole it!! >:(

View Profile of 20th Century Man Send a personal message to 20th Century Man  Email 20th Century Man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 4:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 16:00, 20th Century Man wrote:
As a minor follow-up point to my post of a few days ago, when we visited Bahooka on Monday night they were using photocopied menus that were difficult to read. We asked our waiter where the regular menus were and he said in the two days since the word went out the restaurant was closing virtually ALL OF THEIR MENUS WERE STOLEN. No doubt some of them are now in the hands of a few TCers and other selfish individuals only looking out for themselves. So for the next three weeks patrons have to use crappy paper menus to order from. When I asked Darlene at the front desk about them she told me the menus would have been included among the items auctioned off with the decor after the restaurant closes.

So there's some money that won't be going to the Schneiders family to help pay the aforementioned medical bills. And the rest of us won't get a chance to bid on those pieces of Bahooka history. I'm sure it won't be long before they start showing up on craiglist or eBay for a ridiculous amount. Now everyone on TikiCentral will know that anyone who sells a Bahooka menu stole it!! >:(

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, you are absolutely right....but on the other hand, this place was sold out of the blue, with no warning. Bahooka knows how the tiki community has supported it. They could have held an auction already, especially for us, to bid on the stuff there. Frankly, we don't know for a fact that anyone here has taken those menus or anything else.
Look, we buy most of our vintage gear from someone. better us then them.

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 5:34 pm   Permalink

I've seen tons of menus from 'still in business' restaurants/ bars in private collections. I can't stand that. It's stealing. And it goes against Otto's rules of tiki or whatever he called it in "Tiki News"; Basically that we shall never steal anything from a current tiki bar/ restaurant in business.
This may be a different situation since the place is going anyway...

...But it still infuriates me that all of the super cool Don the Beachcomber coctail menus are gone now to theives. Same reason why they don't serve drinks in tiki mugs or rum barrels any more. To many dishonest people just sneaking them out of the building without paying for them. Watch it happen to Trader Sams too... I bet there comes a time when they stop printing those great menus too.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 8:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 17:34, Luckydesigns wrote:
Watch it happen to Trader Sams too... I bet there comes a time when they stop printing those great menus too.

That time is here. As of last Saturday they only had the plastic "outside" menus available, as all of the others had been stolen.

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 9:53 pm   Permalink

That's a shame! At I least I took a couple of cool pics of them with my drinks.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-21 10:44 pm   Permalink

Didn't that happen to Tiki Ti looooooong ago.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 17:34, Luckydesigns wrote:
...But it still infuriates me that all of the super cool Don the Beachcomber coctail menus are gone now to theives. Same reason why they don't serve drinks in tiki mugs or rum barrels any more. To many dishonest people just sneaking them out of the building without paying for them. Watch it happen to Trader Sams too... I bet there comes a time when they stop printing those great menus too.

Totally agree with your outrage! There is a solution to this situation, and I'm particularly surprised Disney, who is excellent at extracting revenue from consumers doesn't do this: Sell them (note they do sell their souvenir mugs)

Sure, there will be some shrinkage, but us honest folks would gladly pay a more reasonable price in store for it then the inflated black-market price.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 12:03 pm   Permalink

The Facebook page is viewable without logging in...

FaceBook: Bahooka

They have T-shirts

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 12:12 pm   Permalink

I cannot believe I am going to write this down but I agree with LucasVigor (!!!) on his stealing menu viewpoint.

Since i will be in Hawaii I will miss the last gathering at Bahooka so I am coming down this weekend for my final cocktails there.

If I could steal anything from that place it would be the COCKTAILS part of their outdoor sign *sigh*
Anyone have the ability to help me out in my quest please let me know!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation