FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Deadhead Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Deadhead Rum
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 10:30 am   Permalink

RE:
Quote:

On 2013-02-21 06:18, Kahuna Tiki wrote:
"so your suggestion has gone to the Rum manager"

OK, that may be one of the coolest job titles I've seen in long time!

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-21 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 10:30, Loki-Tiki wrote:
RE:
Quote:

On 2013-02-21 06:18, Kahuna Tiki wrote:
"so your suggestion has gone to the Rum manager"

OK, that may be one of the coolest job titles I've seen in long time!

I know!!! I was discussing this with a buddy of mine earlier, and he said "Can you just *imagine* the free samples that they must receive from companies competing for shelf space in their stores?" The mind boggles....

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 1:40 pm   Permalink

Hi-Times has this in Orange County, Forest sez it is decent rum, I myself have not yet picked up any.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 7:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 06:26, Kahuna Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-02-19 10:34, Tikiwahine wrote:
I like how there are three Canadians clamoring for this stuff!
I guess we like our shrunken heads and rum!

I *love* shrunken heads. Guess I'm just twisted that way. I have two of 'em (albeit fake) hanging in my home bar. Check out my profile for a link to my Flickr set called "The Bar So Far".

And yes, I love rum too.

Excellent!!! Nothing wrong with a 'little head' now and then!
Will definitely check it out!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 9:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 13:40, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hi-Times has this in Orange County, Forest sez it is decent rum, I myself have not yet picked up any.

Hey Lance, Dunno if I'd pay 30 bucks for a "decent"rum. I'd expect an excellent product although that bottle is very cool.
Cheers,
David

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 10:19 pm   Permalink

I hear you, David!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-22 10:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 19:05, Tikiwahine wrote:
Excellent!!! Nothing wrong with a 'little head' now and then!

Tikiwahine, this statement alone makes it a requirement for me to buy a bottle for my bar!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-22 8:03 pm   Permalink

I'm curious to give this rum a try. My initial reaction was that it'll look good on my shelf. I'm wary of the need to differentiate via (admittedly) nice packaging rather than by taste. But I'll reserve any real judgement until I taste it this Sunday at Tonga Hut's Rum Rhum Club and compare it to other $30 bottles of rum.

Pity about the name though. No need to conjure the ghosts of jam bands past.

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-03 9:31 pm   Permalink

We sampled Deadhead Rum neat and in 2 cocktails at the last Rum Rhum Club at Tonga Hut. It's an attractive bottle housing a pretty good amber rum. It's a light gold color in the glass, and my first impressions when sipping it was that it reminded me of a Dominican rum...crisp and dry, with a smooth finish that seems quick, but lingers a bit with a small amount of heat. There was a bit of vanilla aroma to the rum in the glass. I'm not great at picking out particular flavor aspects but I had in my notes from the session that it had characteristics of a spiced rum without tasting like a true spiced rum. I was surprised to hear Forrest tell us that this was a pot-stilled rum because I so closely associate pot-stilled rums with Jamaican rums and their tendency to have a certain funk that this rum did not have. Deadhead is a rum from Mexico, barrel aged for 6 years.

As for mixing it in cocktails, I think it would provide an interesting challenge. Because it closely resembles a Dominican rum, and I have little experience trying to mix with that style of rum, I think it would be a tough nut to crack at first...taking away some of that dryness without losing what makes the rum what it is. Of the 2 cocktails we tried, I found the second one more to my liking. It was mixed with citrus and a tamarind chile syrup.

I enjoyed sipping this rum neat and will continue to do so once I procure a full bottle. Who knows, once I have a bit more practice mixing with a rum of this type I may even try it in a cocktail of my own.

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deadheadrum

Posted: 2013-03-04 7:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-17 18:18, Tikiwahine wrote:
So I guess it's a lower shelf mixing rum.
Who cares when you have a bottle this cool? I must have one! I wonder if they'll be available in Canada?
If anyone is interested in doing a swap, PM me!

*edited to fix a dumb auto-correct mistake*

Great Minds Drink Alike

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2013-02-18 16:27 ]

I'm not just another pretty face in the crowd. I am a rum born from a blend of molasses and fresh sugar cane juice, then I am slowly fermented and double-distilled in pot stills. I am charcoal filtered prior to being matured in sherry casks for a minimum of 6 years. In contrast to my rather ugly face, my spirit is a genuine thing of beauty. I have a rich amber hue, an impossibly light body and a bouquet saturated with the aromas of coffee, chocolate, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg, all of which carry through to the palate along with the flavors of cloves, anise and caramel. My long, spicy finish seals the deal. At 80 proof, I am skillfully balanced between dry and semisweet. I have been weighed, I have been measured and been found wicked good -- earning a silver and gold medal for the spirit in my tsantsa.

View Profile of Deadheadrum Send a personal message to Deadheadrum  Email Deadheadrum Goto the website of Deadheadrum     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 8:09 pm   Permalink

I have never been able to sip rum straight before...until I got a chance to drink this Deadhead Rum at Tonga Hut. It was delicious. Really enjoyed the rum straight and of course in the 2 amazing cocktails Marie dreamed up (esp the chili/tamarind one--holy crap that was divine!)

Thanks for the tasting and for giving us the sample bottles AND the chance to buy the bottles from you direct.

Hope to see you up at Forbidden Island for a NorCal tasting soon!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coffee Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-04 9:04 pm   Permalink

The dreaded OLCC (Oregon Liquor Overlords) has Deadhead Rum listed - one 750ml variety (no details which one but the list is over $40) and the 50ml size - for March, but haven't seen any on the shelves yet. Anybody happen to know if All-Star Liquors has it in stock on the Cali border? I need to make a run anyway to get 1.75s of Appleton V/X, Mt Gays, some El Dorados not sold in OR, etc...

View Profile of Coffee Pirate Send a personal message to Coffee Pirate  Email Coffee Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deadheadrum

Posted: 2013-03-07 7:12 pm   Permalink

We had such a good time with you all at the Rum Rhum Club! See you soon1!

View Profile of Deadheadrum Send a personal message to Deadheadrum  Email Deadheadrum Goto the website of Deadheadrum     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deadheadrum

Posted: 2013-03-07 7:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-04 21:04, Coffee Pirate wrote:
The dreaded OLCC (Oregon Liquor Overlords) has Deadhead Rum listed - one 750ml variety (no details which one but the list is over $40) and the 50ml size - for March, but haven't seen any on the shelves yet. Anybody happen to know if All-Star Liquors has it in stock on the Cali border? I need to make a run anyway to get 1.75s of Appleton V/X, Mt Gays, some El Dorados not sold in OR, etc...

Deadhead will be available in Oregon in a couple of weeks. In California, the only stores up north are Bevmos. By the end of the month, Deadhead will be available in Canada (Alberta), NV, PA, OR, TX, IL, OK, NJ, New Zealand and Japan. Please email me directly if you need more information through the Deadhead website Thank you all for your support!

TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-07 7:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-07 19:21, Deadheadrum wrote:

Deadhead will be available in Oregon in a couple of weeks. In California, the only stores up north are Bevmos. By the end of the month, Deadhead will be available in Canada (Alberta), NV, PA, OR, TX, IL, OK, NJ, New Zealand and Japan. Please email me directly if you need more information through the Deadhead website Thank you all for your support!

Umm, it's already in NV. I bought some 2 weeks ago. Good stuff. looks good on my shelf too.

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation