FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Deadhead Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Deadhead Rum
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-24 07:44 am   Permalink

Of course Hi Times has it. I can't even say how much I miss living in So Cal.

The only place they claim to have it in Maryland is at a Total Wine in Potomac. Which is not actually a store, it's the corporate headquarters. Grrrr. To the best of my knowledge, buying online isn't an option either, since shipping alcohol to MD is illegal.

Friend of mine checked her local liquor shop (different county, so not run by a government ABC) and they're saying they can't even order the stuff.

I may have to talk my partner into making a run at HiTimes when she's out in So Cal next month. =)

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-24 08:06 am   Permalink

A big mahalo to my new friends at Deadhead!

From left to right: Deadhead Cup, Keychain, 750ml Bottle, and 50ml travel bottle.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coffee Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-27 12:44 am   Permalink

Deadhead Rum still isn't on the shelves of OR. Went to Bevmo's grand opening in Vancouver. Terrible rum selection and no Deadhead. Since St. James lost US distro, I'm scrambling to stock up and find a suitable Martinique rum replacement, so $$ going towards rum is already tied up. If I make a Cali booze run this spring/summer maybe I'll pick it up then.

View Profile of Coffee Pirate Send a personal message to Coffee Pirate  Email Coffee Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-28 09:08 am   Permalink

Sounds like a good rum to have, though I doubt it will ever show up in Bahrain. Wonder if I can just buy an empty bottle?

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-28 09:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-28 09:08, Wayfarer wrote:
Sounds like a good rum to have, though I doubt it will ever show up in Bahrain. Wonder if I can just buy an empty bottle?

At least you have a Trader Vic's!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-28 11:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

I tried ordering a set of the cups that look like the bottle from the website... it said "we cannot ship to your location" (Canada) when I tried to check out. No booze or glass, just plastic cups. Maybe you'll have better luck.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 08:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-28 09:45, Hale Tiki wrote:
Quote:

At least you have a Trader Vic's!

But not a good one. Just kidding. Though of the three Trader Vic's I've been to, the others are Tokyo and Bangkok, it is the worst. The Mai Tais always taste kind of off, like they use too much lime.

I'll have to see if they ship the bottles here. I could use one in my collection of oddities.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 02:58 am   Permalink

When i visited the U.S. last year i was fortunate enough to meet some great people and now have friends i can ask to send me stuff that i just cannot get my hands on. Although alcohol is not allowed to be shipped here from the U.S. this week i received an empty full sized bottle and two 50ml bottles, both full. One to keep and one to try. And i must say i was really not impressed.

As i only had 50ml to try i drank it neat and did not think much of it at all. It might work ok in a cocktail but neat it lacked flavour. It tasted better after a few sips but there was nothing there to write home about.

Also, whilst i still think the bottle is cool (although i'm not a huge fan of shrunken heads) it was disappointing to find that it is plastic shell covering a glass bottle. First impressions last and when you first see the bottle you think "That's cool", but after you have tried it and have one in your hands your perception changes quite a lot.

One other thing that i'm sure i have spoken about before here in the 'Drinks and Food' thread is that the price we in Australia pay for, not just rum but, all alcohol, is ridiculous. This rum, if it ever becomes available here, will most likely cost us at least $50 i would say. Sailor Jerry sells for $40 and The Kraken is $55 just as an example.

I'm glad that i have an empty bottle to put on my shelf which didn't really cost me much because if i actually had to pay full price for it i wouldn't be too impressed.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 09:18 am   Permalink

Swizzle. $55?!?!?!?!?! For Kraken?!

That's mighty unfortunate, sir. On the upside, all the Maori weapons you can handle!

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-06 8:41 pm   Permalink

Yeah, $55 for Kraken? Don't do that Swizzle!

I just got a bottle of Deadhead rum this weekend. I thought it tasted decent at a first taste, but I tried Pumpkinface first and that kinda ruined my ability to judge it fairly. So i will try it again and post later.

The bottle is cool, but I don't need a flashy cover. The thing I did like about the bottle that hasn't been mentioned is it has a shot glass top! Now that is pretty cool and functional.

I do agree with bamalamalu about the name though.

Edit - I just saw the price - $39.99? I feel like a lot of that cost is in the bottle.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2013-05-13 11:43 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-02 3:43 pm   Permalink

Here's a recipe, I would appreciate feedback if anyone wants to try it out:

3 oz freshly squuezed pink grapefruit juice
2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 oz agave nectar
3 oz deadhead rum
1 oz lemon hart 151
4 oz barritt's ginger beer
3 large dashes orange bitters

Put all ingredients into a large tiki mug. Mix using a swizzle. top with coarsely crushed ice.

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-06-02 16:14 ]

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-06-04 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:
corporate social responsibility grounds.

We're happy to come up north to administer any government bureaucrat ass-kickings that may be necessary.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
corkyjon

Posted: 2013-06-21 09:34 am   Permalink

I picked up a bottle at Liquorama while passing through Upland, California. The bottle is cool, and the rum is ok, not too complex, maybe it is more marketing than quality. I prefer sipping El Dorado or Barbancourt. When the bottle is empty, I'll use it for decorating or refill it with something else.

The best part of the visit to Liquorama was the music- Pandora was playing Cool Surfin' by The Looney Tunes, which is the best surf music I've heard, from a Dutch band! Bought the CD from the Netherlands, only $5 shipping. Highly recommended, but check it out on Spotify first.

View Profile of corkyjon Send a personal message to corkyjon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-21 09:42 am   Permalink

I like Kraken. **DUCKS**

Just bought a huge bottle of it for $24. Should last me years, since I don't drink much.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-23 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-21 09:42, TikiTacky wrote:
I like Kraken. **DUCKS**

Just bought a huge bottle of it for $24. Should last me years, since I don't drink much.

HAH!

Naw, it's blackout juice. Tastes like shit by itself, makes a MEAN rum and Coke. No hate here.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation