FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Naughty Coconut - Cyndigo's newbie tiki bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Naughty Coconut - Cyndigo's newbie tiki bar
cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-17 3:35 pm   Permalink

Hello,

I have a space and a few pieces of art that seem to call out for tiki. Would you take a look and perhaps give me some advice?

The whole flickr set is here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjE2hZvx

Most of the things were picked up in Africa/PNG, so it's not *really* tiki, but I just bought a roll of palapa thatch that's 30" by 7' (something similar is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thatch-30-x-10-Palapa-Palm-Tiki-Bar-Luau-BBQ-Commercial-Grade-4910-/221182303014) and I thought maybe I could makes some sort of awning for the bar.

Can anyone tell me how to fashion the palapa? I have access to tools but am not sure how to cut the roll without it fraying, and have never done anything like this before.

Also any suggestions are welcome. There's an electrical outlet behind the bar. I would love to put in some sort of water feature but don't have any great ideas. Cheers from Colorado, and thanks so much!

[ This Message was edited by: cyndigo 2013-02-18 10:54 ]

View Profile of cyndigo Send a personal message to cyndigo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-17 3:51 pm   Permalink

Aloha cyndigo!

Welcome to TC! Fantastic pieces in your collection! Papua New Guinea, while technically not in the Polynesia triangle, is totally included in tiki culture, as the imagery was heavily used for inspiration during the original mid-century tiki movement.

You could go for a Trader Sam's feel, if you have artwork from various exotic locations across the globe... sort of a trader's den of exotic artifacts, with a concentration on tiki.

What great space you have! is that shag carpeting? And a rock wall bar? Totally cool!

One suggestion that comes to mind is that you can transform that angled arch into an A-frame with an outrigger beam that would jut out over the bar area.

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-17 11:12 pm   Permalink

Gotta agree with tobunga...and you can start weaving some Tiki items in with what you have the rock wall/bar area is awesome, and using that arch is a good idea. You have lot's of possibilities. Build a back-bar and go for it!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 06:35 am   Permalink

Welcome Cyndigo!

You have the makings of an awesome tiki space! Building a tiki bar can be the most wonderful, all encompassing endeavor!!!!

My suggestion is to looking in the Home Tiki Bars thread. There are amazing inspiration pictures. As for cutting the thatch, I have a pair of large scissors with sharp blades that work well but you're right, thatch can unweave itself if you're not careful.

Good luck!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:09 am   Permalink

I think you are already there! Get rid of the white paint on the walls!

PS, for a "newby" you already "get" tiki. You would be surprised how many newbs come here proudly displaying pictures of their Jimmy Buffet styled bar built from party city bullshit....yours is something WAY better!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:33 am   Permalink

Thank you!

I googled images for "outrigger beam" and that looks waaaaay more complicated than I can handle, although it is cool. For now I'll save the thatch and see about painting.

Pardon the ignorance of forum etiquette ... should I create a new thread to chronicle the renovation or keep it all in this one? (Wonder if I can rename this existing one....)

Name and color suggestions for wall paint are most welcome!

View Profile of cyndigo Send a personal message to cyndigo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-18 10:33, cyndigo wrote:
Thank you!

I googled images for "outrigger beam" and that looks waaaaay more complicated than I can handle, although it is cool. For now I'll save the thatch and see about painting.

Pardon the ignorance of forum etiquette ... should I create a new thread to chronicle the renovation or keep it all in this one? (Wonder if I can rename this existing one....)

Forum etiquette? This is a drinking forum! There is no etiquette! Be yourself and have a good time.

As to paint, something dark....maybe dark brown. That lava rock is great. You got a winner there!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

As to paint, something dark....maybe dark brown. That lava rock is great. You got a winner there!

I was able to change the name! Welcome to the Naughty Coconut.

Dark brown? I was totally thinking ocean-y blue or sunset coral or something. Time to start going through pictures!

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-17 15:51, tobunga wrote:

You could go for a Trader Sam's feel, if you have artwork from various exotic locations across the globe... sort of a trader's den of exotic artifacts, with a concentration on tiki.

Tobunga, I really like that description, trader's den of exotic artifacts, that's what I'm trying for in my tiki area.

cyndigo, I love that carved turtle. It looks huge!

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-18 11:26 am   Permalink

I love the name "Naughty Coconut" and I agree that the rocks are beautiful. A soft golden tan to match that color in the rocks will provide a great backdrop to the dark wood decor you have. Some dark wood shelves on the wall would be great to house your bottles & art and a thatch over that arch would look great. Bottom line, just look at home bars here and get some ideas that you can adopt for your own. I agree that you are ahead of the game and look forward to your outcome.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 6:16 pm   Permalink

Looks like a good batch of art there
Love the Honu
Good job
More pics
Have fun

Cheers

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 7:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much ... I have a lot more stuff but am not sure what I want to use. (Regretting not buying a story board - or more - in Palau.)

One concern is that the bar is in a mostly unused corner of my (large) living room that is my main space. I want to make it nice but am largely a minimalist, so want it to be nice and fun but not to overwhelm the space with kitsch. (NOTHING wrong with kitsch but too much stuff jangles my nerves.)

So, I want a fun minimalist tiki aesthetic that integrates with my Bhutanese thangkas and other stuff and doesn't look too fussy. I will post more pictures soon and maybe you'll have some ideas...

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 7:55 pm   Permalink

Cyndigo, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "palapa" . For the Palm frond. "palapa" used as a "roof" I lay it on the framework and don't cut it til I am certain it is just how I want it. Then I trim the excess a little bit longer (4-6") and tie off the cut woven strands with florist's wire or fishline. The cut end is then loosely tucked under and mostly out of sight. The other end is already done cuz you placed it where you wanted it when you laid it on top of the framework. Be sure and fasten the palapa as you work your way towards the end to be trimmed. I have been known to fasten and unfasten multiple times before I finally trim the end. I also try to make my cuts at the least visible end of the project.
There are many types of woven "matting's" I have had good results using large shears and razor knives. I place the stickiest duct tape that I can buy directly over the line that I intend to cut. Measure and remark the line and cut. If using the razor have a clean and level piece of plywood underneath. Leave the tape on -it will be hidden by the trim or moulding you place over it. There are probably easier and better way's but this works for me.
Cheers- good luck

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-18 19:59 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 8:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Thank you!

Well, I tend to go all out in my thinking... you can totally do an A-frame, but omit the outrigger beam. I'm sure anything you decide to do with that space will work out just fine... you're half-way there already with what you have (at least from the photos)... I agree with the suggestions of darker tones... tiki is dark and mysterious... and dark can work toward your minimalist tendencies... you'd be surprised how much dark goes toward enveloping an environment and bringing it all together, and minimizing any extraneous bits.

Oh, love the name of your tiki bar!

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Thank you!

Well, I tend to go all out in my thinking... you can totally do an A-frame, but omit the outrigger beam. I'm sure anything you decide to do with that space will work out just fine... you're half-way there already with what you have (at least from the photos)... I agree with the suggestions of darker tones... tiki is dark and mysterious... and dark can work toward your minimalist tendencies... you'd be surprised how much dark goes toward enveloping an environment and bringing it all together, and minimizing any extraneous bits.

Oh, love the name of your tiki bar!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation