FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Naughty Coconut - Cyndigo's newbie tiki bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Naughty Coconut - Cyndigo's newbie tiki bar
cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 8:42 pm   Permalink

Ooooh please help me pick a mural for the back wall! (Or shoot down my dreams like a mad dog. Whatever is necessary.)

Murals are here:
http://www.squidoo.com/-beach-wall-murals

The are behind my bar is a little over 7' high and about the same width although of course not all of that is visible through the arch, etc. Do you think a mural would work? I spent many happy hours in a hammock on a deserted beach in Asia, and would love to have a bit of that for the view. But not if it will look horrible in real life (have never had a mural).

Thoughts?

[ This Message was edited by: cyndigo 2013-02-18 22:25 ]

View Profile of cyndigo Send a personal message to cyndigo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:21 pm   Permalink

Here is the mural behind my Tiki bar outside.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:24 pm   Permalink

The link you posted does not show what you were looking at.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 10:33 pm   Permalink

Sorry forgotten, I think it's fixed now...

View Profile of cyndigo Send a personal message to cyndigo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-19 08:26 am   Permalink

Hi Cyndigo,

In regards to the mural, I think it will depend on how you paint the walls around it and also how you light it. If it doesn't have good light on the bulk of the image, it could get lost back in the hole. Especially after you get a lot of your art and bar items in place. Of course, having said that, you also don't want it to outshine the rest of the space either. Some type of dimmable light source would be the answer, I think.

As far as image choice goes, you really need to follow your gut on that one. Choose what pleases you the most!

Good luck and keep posting.

Aloha and Cheers!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-19 8:53 pm   Permalink

I agree with Q-Tiki. Follow your gut. Those are all nice murals. But chose on that speaks to you and really fits your space of what your trying to accomplish. Keep up the progress.

cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-23 11:40 am   Permalink

This tiki thing has a way of expanding, n'est-ce pas? I was looking at stuff and finally decided that the whole side of the room was going to look weird if I didn't rearrange, so I moved the piano from a bedroom into the corner to replace the roll-top desk, and I pulled out a bunch of shields and stuff from Irian Jaya. Here are 3 pics, there are more in the flickr set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyndigo/sets/72157632788254085/with/8501475590/

I will move the red wall hanging and the statue under it, but I could really use some advice on how to arrange things so it's cohesive. More pics later ... suggestions please! I really want it to look unified and not too junky.

Also: Moving a piano is HARD.

cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-23 11:41 am   Permalink

Also I know lighting will be a big thing ... those overhead fluorescent fixtures are lined with rice paper, which softens it some, but I almost never have them on and they will not be part of the overall tiki milieu. :-)

cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-23 11:59 am   Permalink

Oh and sorry, one more thing... I have an ancient Vietnamese altar that's about 5' wide and 4' high that also will have to be in that part of the room somewhere ... no pics as it's being restored a bit right now. Someone had brought it back and then stuck it in their garden !?! and was throwing it away on Craigslist. I'll use it for linen and glassware storage. It's black and that dark lacquer red, pretty ornate, and there's no room for it anywhere else. I will shut up now, I promise!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-23 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-23 11:59, cyndigo wrote:
Oh and sorry, one more thing... I have an ancient Vietnamese altar that's about 5' wide and 4' high that also will have to be in that part of the room somewhere ... no pics as it's being restored a bit right now. Someone had brought it back and then stuck it in their garden !?! and was throwing it away on Craigslist. I'll use it for linen and glassware storage. It's black and that dark lacquer red, pretty ornate, and there's no room for it anywhere else. I will shut up now, I promise!

You have some great pieces there. I collect carved african masks...wish I had a place to put them!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-23 3:11 pm   Permalink

Tiki fever cure: there isn't one...

Looks cool
Go go go
More
More
More

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-26 7:21 pm   Permalink

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Naughty Coconut is open and ready for guests!

The bamboo cabinet behind the bar was $25 at the thrift store!

I still need to do the palapa, and hang the other shields. How would you arrange them? And wire the speakers, improve the lighting, and paint the accent wall. But all in all, this has been a super fun week and it came together so easily!

Oh, and I don't have any tiki mugs, so I guess that will be an ongoing project. But my Trader Vic's Grog Mix did arrive, so now it's time to make a drink. Thanks so much for all the help and inspiration!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-26 8:59 pm   Permalink

Don't forget the all important Tikis
can't have a "Tiki Bar" without them....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-27 03:39 am   Permalink

I tell you what, you've got a hell of a start with all of these artifacts.

Getting these types of things nowdays can range into the thousands for what I see in just those last few photos. As you get more and more committed, you'll have a really great base to start for decorating. Part of the magic/wonder for me is going to older bars and seeing actual native pieces that when they were acquired, were thought of as cheap souvenirs, even if they were actual tribal pieces, and not made for the tourist trade. Nowadays shields, boards, masks command a high price as art, artifacts, historical pieces, and rightfully so. The popularization of primitive art coincides with the rise of Poly Pop, and has deep roots in "tiki."

And from your verbiage of "picked up," I assume that means you got them yourself, which just adds to the wonderful space that you're begging to create.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-27 07:37 am   Permalink

Seeing your Siamese cat with the primitive art reminds me of Pyewacket in Bell, Book and Candle.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation