FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving For the Love of Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
For the Love of Tiki
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 5:46 pm   Permalink

cool stuff man....

I tend to avoid queen palms because they're so stringy....but looks like that one came out fine!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-17 2:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks Cy, Amate, BuzzyHere & pjc5150 for the encouraging posts.

Here it is - from start to finnish.
For the Love of Tiki #16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-KwW1dWbM

View Profile of For the Love of Tiki Send a personal message to For the Love of Tiki  Email For the Love of Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RIOTURBAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-20 3:46 pm   Permalink

nice! looks a bit like KAA from "The Jungle Book",hehe.

View Profile of RIOTURBAN Send a personal message to RIOTURBAN  Email RIOTURBAN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-20 6:49 pm   Permalink

[Haha... Good one, RIOTURBAN. Don't stare into those eyes for very long - who knows what you might end up doing?

[ This Message was edited by: For the Love of Tiki 2013-03-20 18:50 ]

View Profile of For the Love of Tiki Send a personal message to For the Love of Tiki  Email For the Love of Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-26 08:14 am   Permalink

Here's an update for the current work in progress - Tiki #20. Now, ready for some stain.

For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-28 07:03 am   Permalink

Tiki #20 is done! Here are the time lapse photos...

And here he is, up close and personal...

For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-29 7:54 pm   Permalink

The bark had a real nice red color to it. I was hoping that the color would carry through into the wood - but that wasn't the case.

This tiki is very top heavy and I finally decided to pour him in concrete to keep him from toppling over.

For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-29 8:28 pm   Permalink

First drill out your somewhat oversized holes - about 3/16 larger than the rebar you intend on using. I used 1/2" rebar so, I drilled the holes at 5/8" and then reamed them out a bit more. I went extra deep (a strong 9") because the tiki is so top heavy. Usually, 4" or so would be plenty deep. Be sure to clean out the holes so that you will get good adhesion. Safety Precaution: Be sure to wear eye protection and gloves when working with epoxy. Apply the epoxy into the hole and then insert the re-bar - making sure that you don't have any air pockets. The epoxy gun with the nozzle makes this a lot easier - but if you don't have a gun - you can also do it by mixing the epoxy (2 parts) then applying it directly onto the rebar as you slowly "screw" or "turn" it into place. If you hear an air pocket "pop" inside the hole, then slowly reverse the rebar and pull it out some - add some more epoxy onto the rebar, then re-insert it into the hole - using the same turning technique. When it goes in all the way, some of the excess epoxy will kind of bulge out - this is the desired result. Take what epoxy is left over and spread it with a putty knife to seal the wood where it will make contact with any concrete.

I like to give it until the next day for the epoxy to come up to full strength.

For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-29 8:35 pm   Permalink

Then, its up, up and away...

Some improvised concrete formwork along with a footing... and there ya have it!

For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-02 05:16 am   Permalink

Just posted a video, showing the process from start to finish.
For the Love of Tiki #20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vq7R_K_fPU

For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-28 6:30 pm   Permalink

Another root ball tiki. This one is a Mexican Fan Palm - and was way easier to carve than the last one I did, made from macadamia nut!

For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-11 5:35 pm   Permalink

Here's the latest work in progress-- a queen palm 4'-6" height x 1'-2" width.

RIOTURBAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-13 2:47 pm   Permalink

nice stuff again!i like the carving progress pics.and the cat seems to like your tikis too!

[ This Message was edited by: RIOTURBAN 2013-06-13 14:48 ]

View Profile of RIOTURBAN Send a personal message to RIOTURBAN  Email RIOTURBAN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-14 08:52 am   Permalink

I really like the KAA tiki. It made me laugh, and I dig the style.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-17 8:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks Rioturban & Hale Tiki for the kind words & encouragement.

Here's the latest all stained up.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation