FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Manalya Lounge (formally wolfes head)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Manalya Lounge (formally wolfes head)
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-28 07:00 am   Permalink

Also, since you've settled on a new name, you can change the name of the thread if you edit your first post, if you want.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimission

Posted: 2013-02-28 12:23 pm   Permalink

The lava wall is not that hard just time consuming. I've tried both spray foam and block foam on other projects. For this the block foam (popcorn style) is easiest. I started by building my shelves in this case I used 2x6 in various lengths just make sure you use a heavy mount bracket. Then I glued using pl200 or similiar glue attach 1/2" foam block to the wall covering every where I wanted the lava look. This is your base. At this point using various thickness of foam start glueing to the front of the shelfs this is why you use 2x6 it gives you a good glueing surface. After covering the shelves I start filling in the depth I want accross the entire wall. keep in mind that you are going to scrub away alot of foam when shapping the wall. Use a wire brush to scrub the foam conturing it. I used different types of wire wheel in various sizes but mostly used them by hand. No power drill as it is way to easy to remove more then you want and harder to shape. After you like the shape run your electrical. I used 24 feet of l.e.d lighting along the sheves. If you leave channels in the block foam this is easy. Then paint in a semi gloss latex paint so you don't melt the foam. You could spray can if you wish but spray will melt the foam as they are all solvent based. But you may like that look who knows. Brush the paint in to all the crack and crevises be prepaired to chew through alot of brushs. Let dry and enjoy. Simplified a little but thats the general idea.

P.s. this system was shown to me by a budy. Who started the shapping and was a wealth of ideas for the project.

[ This Message was edited by: tikimission 2013-02-28 12:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikimission 2013-02-28 12:45 ]

View Profile of tikimission Send a personal message to tikimission      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-03 11:17 am   Permalink

I like your idea for your light sconces. The reed rolled around it is a cool effect.

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimission

Posted: 2013-09-11 10:50 am   Permalink

Thought I'd add some assembly pics. Unfortunately that was all I took during the process.

View Profile of tikimission Send a personal message to tikimission      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimission

Posted: 2013-09-11 10:52 am   Permalink

Thought I'd add some assembly pics. Unfortunately that was all I took during the process.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation