[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » South Seas Cinema Website
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
South Seas Cinema Website
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 12:17 am   Permalink

This thread is made to answer any questions or to comment on South Seas Cinema and southseascinema.org Didn't want to sidetrack other good treads with this subject so if anyone has any thing to add post it here. I know there are other great threads on Tiki films, Tiki TV and Tiki in commercial and I don't want to take away from them so I think the focus on this thread should be on South Seas Cinema Society and it's website. Especially stuff you would like to see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To start below is a discussion started in JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip... In Search of Ancient Chinese Secrets !! (without the photos)

On 2013-02-22 13:49, JOHN-O wrote:

Are you the webmaster of southseascinema.org ?? That site is awesome !!

And actually was the Chin Tiki really that Chinesy, aside from being owned by the Chin family? From what I've seen in pictures, it looks like a full blown Tiki-style palace rather than a Chinese restaurant jumping on the bandwagon. I must say however their logo does vibe kinda Oriental...

But not quite the Tiki Chinaman as Bob Loos (was this actually a carved Tiki ??)...

(above images courtesy of Dustycajun, as usual !!)

I've always thought the Tiki Tiki in Richmond VA (which I have yet to visit) as the most deliberate combination of the 2 genres...

Edit - And I'm not suggesting the above is good style, just deliberate.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-02-22 14:05 ]

-----------------------------------

creativenative
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Today; 12:04 am Permalink

Thanks for the "props" for southseascinema.org There are about 8 South Seas Cinema Society members that contribute to our research. I prefer to call myself the compiler of data but yes I'm the webmaster. I also do lots of research myself but today for example I got a call from a TV expert from Makaka and yesterday an email from L.A. to add a few titles to our grand list (a cartoon episode from Hanna Barbera and Movie shorts by Gaston Méliès brother of early film legend George who sent Gaston to the South Seas in 1913). The website does not cover all our categories of productions set in the Pacific islands.

Last year we also did a grand list (22 pages & growing) of Polynesian Pop titles (with scenes of Polynesian influences set outside of Oceania - from back yard & private luaus, sets in Tiki bars & restaurants, Polynesian themed frat parties, etc.) in movies, TV, toons and others types of major productions. (Sorry this list wont go on the website yet - cause its my Masters paper subject and if I post it now I can't use it for my school paper) Might be in a book in a few months though.

About 5 years ago Sven asked for information on Tikis in movies and when we went through our database we realized that we didn't do a thorough job of documenting tiki in South Seas films (over 600 of them). WE use a lot of key words in our title descriptions for searches but the important word "tiki" wasn't done well. We have been going back and watching a lot of movies & TV shows to make sure we don't miss "tiki" in our descriptions so in the near future one can look up tiki (a very key word in this genre) and find all the titles with tiki in it. I have over 15 pages (and growing) of corrections and additions (including the word "tiki")to put in the website. We are also compiling a large image database of the Poly images in this genre of screen captures and short clips. Now you know where I get all my screen captures.

And yes you are right Chin Tiki was only a Polynesian restaurant in the Detroit area. ONLY the name and its front type was Chinese. But I'm into images and that is a great Poly-Chinese image. Last and coincidentally, someone took this picture yesterday of myself, in the middle, and a couple of other South Seas Cinema Society members. On the left is the infamous DeSoto Brown, author, Hawaiian historian, mega collector and major contributor to our research from Bishop Museum and Dan Long (on right), movie theater builder and also major collector. We are at the annual Hawaii Collectors Show where I doubled my collection of ceramic tikis. Help! I got the bug and I can't kill it! (Do I want to? ....Noooo!) Everyone on TC is in the same boat. Good tiki hunting everyone!

--------------------------------
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 08:42 am Permalink

Creativenaitive,

Thanks for all of the hard work on creating and updating your great website. When do you think the Tiki update will be done?

Also would love to see that Polynesian Pop listing some day.

DC

------------------------------------------
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 09:31 am Permalink

Aaaah, the Hawaii Collectors Show, much money can be left there! Thank you for your update and all your work, it DOES seem you have caught the fever, I feel for you.

For your research, you should talk to Ron "Bongofury" Ferrel, our resident Tiki Movie expert. He has dug up some really obscure celluloid examples of our hero (or the appropriate environs) making it on the big (or small) screen.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-02-25 09:17 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 02:16 am   Permalink

To DC & Big Bro

First, thank you guys for the recognition.

I searched "tiki" in the website this morning and I found a lot more tiki titles than I thought. I remembered I did update the site last year. But I have more to do. We are finding more titles, & more tiki all the time. We get some info from TC and it's members - thanks! Again I have over 15 pages worth of stuff to add in and I will take a break and do it this week. Probably take a week to input it all in.

The Poly Pop list is tricky because hopefully we will do a book maybe a year from now and we don't want to give things away yet and again it is my paper for my master's degree of which I'll start next fall. Looking for a part time job though. The tentative reference book title: "WIKITIKIPEDIA: Encyclopedia of Polynesia in the Media" an exhaustive book on not only Pacific Island images in films and TV but also in Animations, commercials, print ads, the music industry and posters. Of course Poly Pop will have a chapter and tiki will be all over the book's pages. It would be a very visual book. Not just a boring list book because one of the keys to this subject are the visuals these industries created for our escape imagination. Wish us luck. Oh and for you Big Brother yes there will be stuff on sensuality from this genre, this would be the "The Taboo" or "Tropic Exotic Erotic" chapter. Here are some teasers for that chapter:

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 08:14 am   Permalink

Well let's start with a drilldown link to your awesome site !!

southseascinema.org

Edit - I would also recommend adding the word "Website" to the title of this thread to provide clarity.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-02-25 08:20 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 08:53 am   Permalink

Aaaah, naaaaice! This is gonna be good! I am very glad to hear you will incorporate all sorts of media in the book, I think it is important to go beyond the (slightly dusty) feel of movie memorabilia" - no matter how much WE love them.

There are so many great visuals in print ads, and I also love ad campaign books, here are some of my favorite proposals from the "His Majesty O'Keefe" campaign booklet:

I doubt that any theater owner actually picked up on these suggestions, it would be so great to have photos of these set ups

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 09:56 am   Permalink

Thanks John-0 for your help.

For BigBro as we say in Hawaii, Oh-Wow Laulau! Naaaice back to you. Where did you get that from the movie's pressbook? I've seen something similar but it's in our stuff put away and it is not scanned into our database, so I'll have to check our pressbooks to find it.

Here's a tiki teaser:
A publicity still from the movie Hawaii. The serious acting Max Van Sydow between takes:

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-02-25 13:46 ]

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-25 5:49 pm   Permalink

Don't think we will need 2 books, so let me know if I can be of assistance.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 6:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha Bongo, I've been hearing good things about you on and off TC. LOVE to have some kind of assistance from you. Let's PM.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-26 06:04 am   Permalink

As a fan of old films, sexploitation, and tiki, I look forward to what comes out of this!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SBJiminyC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-26 11:43 am   Permalink

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is adding to this discussion or if it belongs in another thread.

I recently was perusing the Netflix streaming titles and came across this one:
The Girls of Pleasure Island

http://nflx.it/13fXsRK

This is listed on the South Seas Cinema web site.

I actually really enjoyed it, having recently watched on HBO The Pacific mini series it was interesting to compare this romanticized version of WWII life in this 1953 film, to the more realistic recent HBO series.

I also saw some cool Tapa pattern clothing which the girls wore.

If you want a little escape, this movie isn't bad.

View Profile of SBJiminyC Send a personal message to SBJiminyC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-26 7:22 pm   Permalink

Whadda ya mean, "romanticized" !? That is how G.I.s lived in the islands !!

The Pacific War was all one big party! After all, in the Amazon description of the "Book of Tiki" we can read thus:

"Tiki is the manifestation of exotic visions of island culture borrowed from tales told by American soldiers stationed in the South Pacific during World War II: trees loaded with exotic fruits, sleepy lagoons, white-sand beaches, and gorgeous people wearing grass feathers as they danced half-naked during all-night orgies of food and music"

What it really should read is that after WW II nobody (including many G.I.s) wanted to hear the horror stories about blown-up bodies and burned-out beaches, and everyone silently agreed to do a big "South Pacific" sing-along, and pick up right where the Polynesian pop cliches had left off before the war.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-27 6:23 pm   Permalink

What a point Big Bro, If a lot of Poly Pop was created by fond memories of the war but thousands of US troops died on these islands what kind of fond memories were they? I can only think of those Hawaii stops (and training) for almost all US troops coming in and out of the Pacific theater. After Pearl Harbor, Hawaii was relatively a safe heaven. Those Honolulu tropical bars and whorehouses were packed. Anyway maybe that is why Poly Pop is full of dark bars, alcohol and mellow music. One vet can escape the negative of the War and remember only the good, even though the good was a short period of their time in the South Seas.

In film, in the next 20 or so years after WWII we had the action patriotic war pictures, the comedies, than the serious (and at times not so patriotic realistic) heavy dramas. I guess it is a matter of the times and what the public is ready to watch on screen. Now WWII movies are in full realistic gore.

An earlier subject, Sven here is what I was thinking about in an old French press book of HULA:

Yeah, like what theater owner or manager would build this today.
Your example is way more cool, on a trailer AND with a tiki no less.

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 12:47 am   Permalink

Sorry after editing one page of southseascinema.org my up-links aren't working. Waiting for my computer genius son to help me. Meanwhile enjoy this cinematic tiki image, so far one of the earliest tiki bars on motion picture film (by a set decorator anyway). 1928 ISLE OF LOST MEN

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 11:58 pm   Permalink

1928 silent Polynesian Pop ?? Is that a lost film ?

Good post.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-29 05:57 am   Permalink

I don't know of a copy of this film, John-O but it might be in someone's private silent film collection. This Lobby Card is all we got visually. In our early days of research (before IMDB improved as it is everyday) sometimes a rare, poster or herald or foreign poster was the only evidence that a film existed. Later in the web further film listings would confirm most of these films but a poster even if was only words would be all the evidence we would need.

On another front, good news, my son fixed my up-links to our web server remotely. I finished up dating the feature lists and changed the "MISC" image section to "TOONS" images. Added a lot more animation images with tons of tikis among other South Seas clichés. If one reads the note on the top of this "Image/Toons page one can read how South Seas and Poly Pop images are mixed there and what the difference is. Enjoy. Give me a couple of weeks to finish the rest of the pages. Link:
http://www.southseascinema.org/images2.html

Here's an example from THE PIRATES movie:

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-03-29 05:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-03-29 06:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-03-29 06:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-03-29 06:03 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-29 08:25 am   Permalink

Wow, what a boat load of eye candy!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation