[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mr. Bali Hai -VS- Orchids of Hawaii R-18
Mr. Bali Hai -VS- Orchids of Hawaii R-18
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-02 8:50 pm   Permalink

Seperated at Birth?

So what's the deal here? Was The Bali Hai the first, and Orchids came out with a knock-off, or visa-versa? Or are they 2 differant entities?
I've been eyeing the Bali Hai's for awhile, but the $25 to $35 they've been bringing in is a little too rich for my blood. But this orchids sparked my interest, and it fell under my $20 limit, so, it is mine!
I'm just starting to pick up older mugs, as most of what I have now is current stuff. But I still can't bring myself to pay more than $20 for a single mug, when I know I could pick up 3 or 4 decent new ones I still don't have. Believe me, I want the high end stuff, but for now, I'm quite happy going the "Quantity-vs-Quality" route. Oh well, at least the wife approves. She gave me the thumbs up to go ahead and center on Mugs and Hula Girls as long as my Nodders, Pez, and Action Figure collection goes on the back burner and I relocate them to my Den. Sheeesh!

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo on 2003-07-05 16:21 ]

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 12:38 am   Permalink

Not sure which came first, but I can tell you that Mr. Bali Hai is a good lookin' mug in person. Keep your eyes open and if you can get a deal, great! But I don't think you'll be disapointed if you kick down a few extra bucks for a nice vintage MBH.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-04 02:05 am   Permalink

The Mr. Bali Hai has its name stamped on the bottom. Maybe that justifies the higher price?

Also, be advised that currently, the real Mr. Bali Hai does not have a bone through his nose. So until Bigbro tiki finishes the job, both tiki mugs will replicate the historical, not the contemporary, image.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-07 1:18 pm   Permalink

The other headhunter mug is still in production somewhere I think.....well, so is the Mr. Bali Hai, but you have to go to the Bali Hai in San Diego to get one...

Matt

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation