FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki BAHOOKA MEMORIES - a photo love story
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
BAHOOKA MEMORIES - a photo love story
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 09:05 am   Permalink

Being a visual person, recent reports about the Bahooka closing have been sadly lacking in images, so here is the thread to share all the pics ever taken, and still being shot. Even if you put them on Facebook, put some up here for the community. And I know it is work, but please try to caption them, if possible.

As John-O formulated it so aptly, the quality of Bahooka lies in the sum of its parts. Even I as a photo professional am hard pressed to portray its nautical catacombs adequately, so don't be shy to post mere snap shots. It will be the sum of photos here that will do it justice. I have seen some excellent HDR (High Dynamic Range) photos shot by by Hakalugi and Joe Banks already, please gentlemen share.

I will be hard to not double up angles, and I am not looking for page long plaster posts - just some telling images of friends, drinks, details...anything that represent the "Paradise Lost" of Bahooka

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-03-02 11:22 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 09:30 am   Permalink

An island in the asphalt sea:

...it calls to me: (to the strains of Bali Hai) Bahooka!...BAHOOOKAAAH!

The great TAAROA is crying...

...for his lost habitat...

....where the underwater world mingled with Tiki....

...and fish and man (woman) fell in love!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 09:58 am   Permalink

Memorable moments in my Bahooka life:

The release of my Bahooka mug:

Holden holding Anders holding it

Elusive beauties of the night

Squid, Holden, Jeff, me and JP relaxing after a hard signing session

The release of the 10 Year Book of Tiki Anniversary mug:

A happy customer

More happy customers

...and a happy BOT mug (inexplicably turning its back on) The Hula Girls and the Crazy Al glowing eyes Tiki

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 2:33 pm   Permalink

Mahaloz for sharing Sven. Some great photos there.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 3:19 pm   Permalink

Thank you...but after almost A HUNDRED views, why aren't there any others? I tell ya, Facebook really figured out to what extent people are willing to participate in social media: Basically just slightly above the Twitter level.

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 4:19 pm   Permalink

Well, Again Sven you raise the bar...awesome documentation....but you have us always expecting the best. BTW, What is this Facebook/Twittering you speak of? Okay, I know, but being an old schooler I do not need THAT much instant gratification. Remember the reason behind Phone Booths? Back when men wore hats and opened doors....plus pulled out a ladies chair and stood up when they left and arrived. Oh Damn, I care too much...Thanks for the pics. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-02 4:22 pm   Permalink

GROG just steal these pics from another thread, some from the same thread you stole some of yours.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 4:54 pm   Permalink

Rather then re-post the pics, here are the links to the original threads..

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39286&forum=17&vpost=584901
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=39286&forum=17&start=90&hilite=Bahooka
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=36786&forum=17&start=90&hilite=Bahooka
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=41585&forum=17&start=0&hilite=Bahooka

Enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-03-02 17:11 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 5:01 pm   Permalink

From my first trip out in 2011. I had dinner the first night at Bahooka.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 5:09 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2013-03-02 5:22 pm   Permalink

Here's a handful ~

The Bahooka Mai Tai, which came with a "Have you had a Bahooka Mai Tai before?" warning.

The Bahooka 40th Anniversary Party.

With Hinano Paul, Dave's Not Home, SoccerTiki and Myself.

Southern California is losing one of it's "Go-To" birthday spots

with unique lighting

and a cool fish.

From The Book of Tiki mug release event.

My last Bahooka House Salad 2/16/2013.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 5:28 pm   Permalink

Well, the Bahooka has some good memories for me. That was one of the last times I ever played with the hula girls band (You can see me in one of those pictures) and I believe just before that the smokin menehunes had played some event there, and we had Jim Bacchi sitting in with us...which was unbelievably cool....

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 5:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-02 17:22, Bora Boris wrote:

That's the best picture of a Bahooka salad I've ever seen!

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 5:42 pm   Permalink

Souveniers from my first trip:

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 9:56 pm   Permalink

THANK you! There we go, that's a start, thank you everyone Now, while we are looking forward to more BAHOOKA PHOTOS, here is some Bahooka HISTORY:

While there is precious little visual material from the early days of Bahooka, and much of its past is steeped in deep mystery, this brief time line explains a few things:

"The owner of the Bahooka was named Jack Fliegel, who traveled around the south seas as a navy private in the early 1950's. When he left the navy he learned the restaurant business while working at Kelbo's for 10 years.
In 1967 he started the first Bahooka restaurant in West Covina with his sister and younger brother. This restaurant was in operation from 1967 to 1980, and Jack kept adding on to it as the business grew. Unfortunately the building grew three feet over the property line and he lost his lease in a legal dispute. The contents were removed, a beautiful custom-built bar was sold off, and the building was demolished.
In 1976 Jack had opened a second restaurant in Rosemead. From 1976 to 1980 there were two Bahookas in operation. This time he owned the land rather than leasing."

So Jack took the Beachcomber concept, the firmament of resin floats, and the ribs-heavy menu from his former place of employ Kelbo's, which, as those Los Angelinos who were lucky enough to have visited it can attest, was just as crammed with flotsam and found objects as Bahooka.

Here's the front and back of the West Covina location menu:

It's original opening text was fine example of Polynesian pop poetry...

...even invoking the spirit of its guardian Tiki!

Fast forward to the early Tiki revival (we will skip over the Mark Ryden copyright issue here) and we are at a LA Cacaphony Society Meeting November 1991:

Having discovered Tiki a couple of years before, I eagerly attended this meet and greet - and afterwards decided that I had to be the one to do a book about it.

After earlier Tiki art group shows curated by Bobby Green and Otto at Cacao Coffee House, and at La Luz de Jesus, Copro Nason Gallery staged a Tiki happening at Bahooka entitled TIKI ART in 1998:

That's it, who can fill in the blanks?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-03-02 23:33 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation