FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki BAHOOKA MEMORIES - a photo love story
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
BAHOOKA MEMORIES - a photo love story
surfluver626

Posted: 2013-03-02 11:44 pm   Permalink

03/01/13
Will this be our last Bahooka Bowl before they close,
or will we be able to get in one more

View Profile of surfluver626 Send a personal message to surfluver626      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 12:07 am   Permalink

Here's a few recent memories when Swizzle visited California from down under.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 09:04 am   Permalink

I dig that carrot smile that Rufus is cracking

I know this is supposed to be a VISUAL thread, but for those who would want to HEAR me talk about Bahooka, there is an interview with me on location there with Rico Gagliano on KPCC on his "Dinner Party Download" show today, Sunday at 3:00 pm:

http://www.scpr.org/programs/dinner-party-download/

At minute 33:00 to minute 39:00 I get to talk some about Bahooka, and also Polynesian pop in general. You can also listen to it as a download now here:

http://www.publicradio.org/columns/dinnerpartydownload/2013/02/episode-190.html

To the aficionado it might not contain that much unknown info (other than the Dali anecdote maybe), but I hope some here will enjoy it

As another fond memory, last summer I got to take a bus load of mid-century fans on a Bahooka tour...

...during Chris Nichols' San Gabriel Valley bus tour

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 10:04 am   Permalink

Once again. Thanks for posting that history Sven. Sadly, I Had no pics to share because I have never been to the Bahooka. I'm trying my very best to get down there this weekend to see it before it goes. Its just funny out of all my times going to visit friends down in the O.C area, I just never made it here. So I am really going to push myself to get there this weekend.

[ This Message was edited by: forgotten tikiman 2013-03-03 10:06 ]

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 2:35 pm   Permalink

I enjoyed your segment Sven. Sitting here out on the Great Plains tying a fish net float, sipping a Tiki Pukka Pukka, I'm even more sad I won't see Bahooka in person.

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-03-03 3:34 pm   Permalink

Okay, here are some more from my Flickr set, actually a lot more. A few of these have already been posted in other threads.

But first a brief history on my visits to Bahooka.

My first visit to Bahooka was sometime in the early 80's. It was a late evening and a friend and I were returning home from the Hollywood Record Swap Meet held in a parking lot across from the Capital Records building. My friend said "Hey, you want to check out this amazing restaurant?". Of course. When we arrived it was just closing up. It was too late for any service but I was able to briefly see inside. The impression was melded into my head. Over the years since then I have paid Bahooka many visits. This was always my birthday/special celebration dinner destination of choice. One notable visit was a Halloween costume party put on by the L.A. Cacophony Society. I think this was in 1994 or '95. They had the banquet room and the whole place was filled with crazy intense energy in a way only the Cacophony Society could provide. The music was a mix of voodoo drums and alien chants, the only illumination was from the aquariums and a film projected onto a screen. They were showing Carnival of Souls. In one corner of the room was somebody very well costumed as Hunter Thompson, he had a fly swatter and was swinging at imaginary bats. Bowl after bowl of flaming concoctions were delivered to the room. My wife Kim and I had the Honey Bowl. We were dressed as zombie beachcombers.

I'm going to miss this place.

A somber walk-through...

An anti-aircraft gun stands guard:

Bahooka greets us. An island of allure and mystery:

Let's venture inside:

Entry room:

And to our immediate right, the peaceful bubbling of a huge aquarium. Many of the aquarium shots you'll see in this post may look empty but they are not. They are teaming with life. Huge fish that might follow your every move. These fish are so active that they disappear with a long exposure.

And immediately above our heads, a not so active fish...

Just past the entry room. The sign from the Bali Hai Dock. Is this sign really from the Bali Hai in San Diego?

I'd say yes.

To our left is the mail room wall protected by two Marquesan style Tiki posts.

A closer look:

Let's venture further:

We arrive to the banquet room, surrounded by more aquariums:

Banquet room ceiling:

It's very easy to lose your sense of direction while walking around the Bahooka labyrinth. The bubbling sounds add to the relaxing and dizzying atmosphere. Dizzying as in sometimes it might feel like you are on a rocking boat. Is this from the cocktails? While, yes and no. Part of it may come from walking around while looking up at the ceiling but another thing adding to this strange sensation felt while navigating the Bahooka is the fact that the floors may not be entirely flat. While, maybe the entire Bahooka is not like that but here in the banquet room you can definitely feel this. Whether by design or not, it works wonderfully in enhancing this place. If you look at the table against the wall to the left, you can see that the floor is noticeably sloped.

Upon leaving the banquet room there are boats on the ceiling:

Approaching the cashiers desk and trophy walls:

Heading toward the bar:

There are creatures swimming around under the bar top.

Ceiling view from the bar area:

Another angle of the same ceiling area:

A little past the bar is the popular brig/jail cell:

The booths in the brig can each seat a party of ten:

From here there is another corridor of booths. Here's a view from the end of that corridor looking back at the brig where there appears to be some sort of apparition.

END TOUR

If you want to see additional shots there are more on my Flickr account
Slideshow:
http://www.flickr.com//photos/akahaka/sets/72157632894444816/show/

If you want to peruse full size images, you may want to start from here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/akahaka/sets/72157632894444816/
With the full size images you can drill down into the details. For instance, there are a number of photos from their trophy wall where posting them here would look like this:

But on Flickr you can see the original resolution and actually read the article. Here's a zoom in of the above photo on Flickr:

Mahalo

Long Live Bahooka

-Haka

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2013-03-03 16:14 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-03 3:50 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately I do not have anything to add to this thread except my deep appreciation to everyone for posting great stories and the awesome pictures for those of us who have never and may never experience the Bahooka in real life. What a gorgeous place.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 4:10 pm   Permalink

Haka - what a beautiful series of photos! I feel like I can breathe easier because I can consider the place well documented now! If there ever was a "Bahooka - A Tropical Island in the Asphalt Sea" photo, this is the one:

Aaaaaah!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 06:29 am   Permalink

The first minute of this video shot back then by our very own Unga Bunga has nice shots of the BahOOka Tribute Bar I did for the Von Franco and Friends
art Show at the BahOOka a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxG4ESK_fLU

Maybe it's time to make another one......

One stick out memory of the BahOOka for me was when I ate there as the guest of Barry Weiss in 2000.
He's just as nutty in real life as he is on Storage Wars.
They were closing for the night so he said will you stay open for my friend and I if we order one of everything
on the menu. It was a crazy night.

Aloha BahOOka!!! We had some good times together!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 11:49 am   Permalink

Beautiful images Hakalugi!

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 1:34 pm   Permalink

Chris, have you done a complete, slow, non-stop VIDEO walk-thru of the place yet!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 2:12 pm   Permalink

Ben, Seeing those old videos, just makes me miss your old shop that much more!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 3:04 pm   Permalink

BigBroTiki, I don't have a steady cam rig, so not sure I can pull something like that off remotely clean. I'm planning to get out there to shoot some b-roll before the 10th (they are going to be closed this Wednesday, does anyone have a hookup to get me in while its empty???) so I'll give it a couple tries/passes.

P.S. there has to be more photo memories out there than just 2 pages???

[ This Message was edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-03-04 15:05 ]

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 5:17 pm   Permalink

Here are some Bahooka movie memories:
BARRY MUNDAY with Patrick Wilson & Judy Greer:

FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS with Johnny Deep (pictured) and Benicio Del Toro in car behind aloha shirts I believe:

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 5:27 pm   Permalink

We shot out one video there...Directed by Joe Banks

http://tikiyakiorchestra.com/video.htm

New Year's Eve 2010....Great time.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=38040&forum=17&start=0&hilite=tikiyaki%20bahooka

Tonga Tom....can you repost the pics from the Tikiyaki New Year's Eve show ? They're all gone from the thread.

I'm very Sad that we wont have old Faithful Bahooka to escape to anymore. So many good times there.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation