FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » BAHOOKA MEMORIES - a photo love story
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
BAHOOKA MEMORIES - a photo love story
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 4:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-11 19:06, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice! In that last shot you really get to see the scale of that Ku Tiki!

I have one last piece of eye candy to share before the sea settles over the sunken ship: This was a test glaze for the Bahooka mug that I as a traditionalist kinda favored, but the other was chosen by the client.

I am glad to have one as a keepsake now. It's got extra quake hold under it

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-03-11 19:07 ]

ya know, sven, i kinda like the final production glaze better. it just seems more unique and more fitting to the design.

i usually don't collect new mugs (outside of munktiki), but i just had to have one of these Bahooka mugs. a fine tribute to the joint...

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 4:59 pm   Permalink

I wish they had made your bowl, Sven.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 6:39 pm   Permalink

I wanted to add this picture of Tiki Kate to this thread, since she dearly loved the Bahooka. Even while undergoing chemo she still had the spirit to climb the pillars in the back parking lot and pose in front of the life boat.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-12 8:27 pm   Permalink

Miss you Kate......

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2013-03-12 8:36 pm   Permalink

More Eye Candy!!

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 3:05 pm   Permalink

Here's some photos from our various visits to Bahooka...

Manuel and fish share a moment:

Dave and Rebecca from Purple Orchid and Manuel:

Darlene in her natural habitat:

Chico and us!

The last shot of us on the last night Bahooka was open, just before closing, and moments before Chico told us the staff just found out they would not be open on the 10th... Farewell Bahooka, you will be missed!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 4:54 pm   Permalink

Nice "mood" shots, guys - Mahalo!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-15 3:10 pm   Permalink

Rule #1 dont take for granted what you have,On our US trip last year we didnt get there thinking we'll go next year(big mistake!) but we have happy memories of a great place, Best time was when we went with Friends Bonnie and Joe and we got Go Go serving us, Everything was flaming including a diet coke.

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2013-03-16 3:27 pm   Permalink

Oddly, I only have a handful of photos from the Bahooka. That may be partly because while Val and I had been to Bahooka a number of times, we never made it to an actual event that was hosted at Bahooka. Rather than dwell on what I could have done, here's some of the artifacts I do have.

Bahooka ahead!

Close cocktail

(SDAEH)

Don't forget to look up.

See?

Grainy cocktails

Farewell, Bahooka.

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
subaquatic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-18 01:50 am   Permalink

A couple from my flickr set.

And a couple seconds of Rufus video. (
http://www.vimeo.com/subaquatic/rufus )

View Profile of subaquatic Send a personal message to subaquatic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-18 03:40 am   Permalink

These were taken during my visit on 30 December 2010.

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2013-03-18 03:42 ]

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-18 8:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the photos, everybody! This thread is forming into a little virtual Bahooka.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 05:01 am   Permalink

Under the circumstances, this is really good news:

http://www.lamag.com/citythink/askchris/2013/03/21/tiki-paradise-bahooka-to-be-reborn

Better to have it all in one cool place than scattered in the winds.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-22 05:59 am   Permalink

Déjà vu I've heard that before.
This will be good.
Beats A Walgrens drugstore.

And this place has been very well documented!
Thank you, and good job all!

-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-

¦:-·:*''""*:·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:*''""*:·.-:¦

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 08:54 am   Permalink

Here's the full text from Chris Nichols' L.A. Magazine Blog:

"Bahooka, the epic tiki shipwreck restaurant in Rosemead, served their final mai tai on March 9th. By Christmas the labyrinth of tikis, boats, and artifacts from the islands will be reborn inside another landmark, Clifton's Cafeteria. "I ended up buying all their marquee items," said Andrew Meieran, owner of Clifton's. The boatloads of decor date back almost 50 years, some to the first Bahooka location, and will grace a 21st century version of Clifton's original Pacific Seas Cafeteria, an over-the-top island paradise that was long ago replaced with a parking lot. "We'll have the tikis, the gas pumps, the canoes. The diving helmet is a beautiful thing. It was used to collect donations for the City of Hope. One of our messages is social responsibility, so it will be used for that." Thousands of tiki fans waited up to four hours for their last Bahooka meal during the final weeks and soaked up the ambiance for what they thought was the last time. "We're taking a little Southern California legend and fusing it into the Clifton's legacy," said Meieran."We're losing one and somehow it's all coming back together."

I believe that Chris as a staunch preservationist, lover of Bahooka, and acquaintance of Meieran had much to do with this happening.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation