[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Making float lights, any advise
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Making float lights, any advise
hellbilly1932
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-03 12:42 pm   Permalink

Anyone have a good source for the glass globes? I want to make some float lights for my tiki bar and would rather not have to spend a fortune for vintage glass.

View Profile of hellbilly1932 Send a personal message to hellbilly1932      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 8:36 pm   Permalink

The best way to find a good glass globe to tie is to look
for a rattan hat.
I say this because when you look for a certin thing (glass globe)you will
most likely find some other thing. (rattan hat)
So why fight it, just go beachcombing in the modern beach of today that
is ebay, flea markets, thrift stores,antique shops/ shows ECT....
I look for stuff ALL the time, it takes time to find this stuff.
There is no glass globe outlet I know of AND if there was one they would
not be cheap.
So I say go and find what you find where you find it and build with the things
that you are lucky enough to find at a low cost.
Now you may find a hat that it could take you years to find a matching bottom to,
but this is how I go about making lights.
Look at the Bahooka photos here on TC, LOTS of the things in Bahooka are not tiki.
But put together the place looks great!
I would guess at the time Bahooka was built the stuff they put in Bahooka was found items
that did not cost tons of money.
This is also how Trader Vic's did his first place hinky Dinks as they had sleds and tricycles
hanging in there.
This is the best I can tell ya, if it's round and the price is right, buy it and tie it.
Good Luck.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 8:57 pm   Permalink

Yep! TIKISKIP is right. You just have to look around. Or you just have to bite the bullet and spend some cash. But glass globes are around. Just keep searching.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 9:08 pm   Permalink

Home by the Seashore in Seal Beach, CA had the netted basketball sized fish floats for $45-$50 a piece. That's the best price I've seen.

They sell mini float light strings on Amazon with white or natural colored string. They're plastic.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 09:41 am   Permalink

TJ Maxx and Marshalls have had cheap floats, and round vases, on sale from $4-$25 for the last year. I've bought a LOT of them. The floats are really thin, the vases are thick, that's the only caveat.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Miss Hell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-05 6:22 pm   Permalink

Check the antique mall in OB. They sell glass floats down there.

View Profile of Miss Hell Send a personal message to Miss Hell  Goto the website of Miss Hell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-05 6:51 pm   Permalink

ocean gifts and shells in OB, then hit the Bali hai for a Mai-tai

Jon

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2013-03-05 18:55 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hellbilly1932
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-05 7:13 pm   Permalink

Thank you all for the tips. Believe me I am always looking!

View Profile of hellbilly1932 Send a personal message to hellbilly1932      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-05 7:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-03 21:08, tikilongbeach wrote:
Home by the Seashore in Seal Beach, CA had the netted basketball sized fish floats for $45-$50 a piece. That's the best price I've seen.

They sell mini float light strings on Amazon with white or natural colored string. They're plastic.

You should make it to the International Tiki Market Place for better deals on all things including the netted basketball sized fish floats. I sell mine for $40.00. The next ITMP is April 6th.
At the last ITMP, there were several people that made the road trip from San Diego.

TikiVato

[ This Message was edited by: TikiVato 2013-03-05 19:49 ]

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
partypanzer

Posted: 2013-03-23 2:04 pm   Permalink

I had the same problem a while back, my solution was clear glass bathroom vanity globes.
i know alot to describe a light fixture.

They may be a little small 6 1/2 inches wide, but they already come with a hole to place a light,
just have to face it to the back.

Also clear is kinda boring,so since i work in the paint biz, i have figured out a way to tint them.
"Water-base polyurethane", with universal colorant added in (not paint)

so what i did was use the water based colorant which is the same stuff they use to tint house paint,
add a couple of drops of green and blue to the polyurethane in a paper cup, mix it together and pour into globe.
i added a little water to it to let it flow a little easier.
swirl it around it will look very solid while wet but will dry semi transparent, let stand over a tray allowing the excess polyurethane to slowly drain out.

let dry, then hang with some netting or try to tie it up like a fish float

[ This Message was edited by: partypanzer 2013-03-23 14:07 ]

View Profile of partypanzer Send a personal message to partypanzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-23 7:22 pm   Permalink

Party-

Would this work on acrylic globes? I have 2 that I can't return that I'd like to repurpose.

TIA

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-23 7:33 pm   Permalink

If you have any Nautical Decor stores in your area (usually around the beach areas)
a good source for glass floats both new & old.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
partypanzer

Posted: 2013-03-24 2:47 pm   Permalink

i bought larger acrylic outdoor lamp globes online, and the polyurethane stuck to it just fine.

only bad thing was they are really light, so its hard to tie them up like you would a glass float.

I'm still working on getting a porcupine fish light into one.

View Profile of partypanzer Send a personal message to partypanzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-24 6:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-24 14:47, partypanzer wrote:
i bought larger acrylic outdoor lamp globes online, and the polyurethane stuck to it just fine.

only bad thing was they are really light, so its hard to tie them up like you would a glass float.

I'm still working on getting a porcupine fish light into one.

If the hole is big enough, drop a baggy or two of sand or a bog of rice in the globe.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 3:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks Partypanzer!

Can I buy the colorant from Lowes, HD or a paint store?

TIA,
Lori

PS: Those big plastic outdoor globes are exactly what I have. I just need to figure out the type of rope I need to buy to make them into fake fishing floats! There's a lot available on eBay but I'm confused.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation