Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Making float lights, any advise
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Making float lights, any advise
partypanzer

Posted: 2013-03-25 4:26 pm   Permalink

for the colorant i would just ask the workers in the paint area at lowes or home depot for a couple of ounces of colorant of each color you need, bring a couple of dixie cups or foam coffee cups for them to put it in.

But you have to be careful with them. colorant makes a mess and it will stain skin and clothes.

tell them its for your polyurethane and you just are gonna add it in yourself.
i give people colorant for primer all the time where i work.

I made my floats the standard sea glass blue green color.
work in small batches, i used about half a quart of poly mixed with maybe 2 oz of water.
and the colorant is very concentrated so you only need a couple of drops per batch.

also not sure about the color?
test it by brushing it out on any kinda clear plastic, like soda bottles or scrap packaging and if not dark enough you can always build up the layers. Just be sure the first coat is totally dry first.

I had to waste money on stain glass spray paint and that garbage sea glass spray paint till i figured out this method.

good luck!

View Profile of partypanzer Send a personal message to partypanzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKITOMMYS

Posted: 2013-06-05 12:54 pm   Permalink

A word about glass float lights. There are LED spheres you can buy like http://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Hanging-Christmas-Crystal-Decoration/dp/B005DJDA00/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370461683&sr=8-4&keywords=led+sphere
also there is a stained glass spray paint that would work on a frosted/clear globe light.
Can anyone send a link/idea about how to get the netting for a float light I am trying to create?

First post/new member

View Profile of TIKITOMMYS Send a personal message to TIKITOMMYS      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-05 5:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-05 12:54, TIKITOMMYS wrote:
Can anyone send a link/idea about how to get the netting for a float light I am trying to create?

Those LED lights look intriguing. Please post pictures when you're done.

You should be able to tie a net yourself. Here's a fancy way that looks great and is probably beyond me:
http://batjakltd.com/id82.html

However, for small spheres, you can do something much simpler.

Take four pieces of twine, tie them together at their middles, and lay the strands out like an eight-pointed star. Pair adjacent strands and tie a square knot about 1.5 inches from the center. Then, take strands from adjacent knots and tie them together. Depending on spacing, you might want a third row. Finally, stretch this knotwork around the globe, pull the strands together and finish it with an overhand knot.

I'm not sure if this picture will help or confuse, but here goes:

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 11:40 am   Permalink

partypanzer -

I forgot to check this thread for a while. Thanks for the info on the colorant. I will ask at Lowes or HD. I didn't think to put it in the poly either! I obviously have a lot to learn.

Mahalo,
Lori

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-06 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I use cotton basketball hoops for my fish float lamps. I just age the cotton by dragging them through the dirt.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 5:34 pm   Permalink

Murph - Any special techniques for tying the bottom?

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 7:18 pm   Permalink

Murph, you're a genious! That would save me a boatload of work!!!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-06 7:18 pm   Permalink

Just take a single piece of rope and pass it through each loop at the bottom of the net and then tie this rope into a small circle and you're done.

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-07 11:36 am   Permalink

Wow, simple solutions to difficult problems

Basketball net? Why the hell didn't I think of that.

Simply Brilliant!

-Longboard

[ This Message was edited by: Longboard 2013-06-07 11:37 ]

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation