[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki "temporary" tiki bar coming to minneapolis
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
"temporary" tiki bar coming to minneapolis
porco
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-05 09:50 am   Permalink

sounds like they're going to be crafting up some proper cocktails, albeit in an otherwise nondescript, temporary setting.

http://minneapolis.eater.com/archives/2013/03/05/tiki-bar-coming-to-eat-street-social-patio-this-summer.php

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-05 10:42 am   Permalink

"artisanal tiki bar"

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 08:34 am   Permalink

I wonder what the "decor" of the Artisinal Tiki Bar will look like?

Maybe a Bamboo Fixie on the wall?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 08:59 am   Permalink

It's probably going to be like the weekly Tiki Tuesday nights at 320 Main in Seal Beach, Bar Pink in San Diego or La Descarga in Los Angeles.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-06 2:11 pm   Permalink

Well I know for a fact the food at their sister location is pretty outstanding! Which makes me think they could be in line to do some pretty amazing stuff. I think we would be there all summer...if we hadn't moved 1200 miles away from there 6 months ago.
Dang it.

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 2:18 pm   Permalink

Didn't the Philadelphia Museum of Art do a temporary tiki bar on a patio last summer?
Oh yeah, there's Exquisite Corpse's post:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43154&forum=4

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 2:37 pm   Permalink

I don't care what the decor looks like or how hipster their drink lingo is. The fact is these guys know their shit, and the drinks--like the ones at Eat Street Social--will be fantastic.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
porco
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-06 2:59 pm   Permalink

it's actually a pretty brilliant business model for a bar. reinvent a portion of your drink menu every summer, hitch onto a trend without committing the decor or food, profit!

i feel the same way about the buzzwords "artisanal, craft, house made, etc..." but they've become terms of distinction (as well as marketing) to put out there that you're taking the time to do it right. sure it comes at a price, and people flock based purely on those words regardless of product, but i'm all for businesses taking the time and pride in what they do.

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-06 3:03 pm   Permalink

Minneapolis was voted the hipster capitol of the world...

I have a wedding to go to in August, so I will happily check it out and tell you what I think.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 3:41 pm   Permalink

I am always surprised at how so many of you don't get that this really has nothing to do with "Tiki"
I am all for good food & cocktails, go and enjoy

But a few Tiki torches & some temporary decor, does not a authentic Tiki Bar (new or old) make!

I was critical of "320 Main in Seal Beach" which had good cocktails served in a undecorated room
painted all black with zero ambiance & a DJ playing more electronica then exotica, where is the escapism in that?

The Bahooka is a good example, do we go for the food or cocktails (which are really not great)
or do we go for the experience (which is sublime!)

I have always preferred the history & escapism that the surviving Tiki Palaces & Mid Century dives
offer over these half arsed theme of the week places,
Is that not why we are into the whole Tiki thing in the first place?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 5:55 pm   Permalink

I'm a little surprised at how dismissive everyone on this board is of the drink portion of the Tiki experience. Maybe it's because I spent a good chunk of the 1990's in my buddy's Milwaukee home bar slugging drinks from the old Trader Vic book while listening to Les Baxter; but I think the whole tiki thing is 33% decor, 33% music, and 33% drinks. Rare is the place that pulls off all three--the Mai Kai for instance--but there's an awful lot of places that have no clue about the non-decor 66%. Even the Tiki Ti fails miserably in the music part of the equation, but no one would question their excellence. Because DRINKS.

We all owe Beachbum Barry a HUGE debt of gratitude for keeping the drink thing alive--and for that matter inspiring the cocktail renaissance of the last decade. Without the Good Drinks Appreciation part of the equation, the Mai Kai would have been bulldozed years ago.

I feel like I'm talking to myself here--this is the same board where everyone SAVAGED the new Beverly Hills Luau (which had fantastic drinks by the way) because the decor dared to be less than 100% derivative of every Polynesian restaurant you've seen a million times. But that's another topic for another thread... End rant

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quince, Nothing bad about getting a great drink, But it is the history
of the old places, if we are still lucky to have, that is most important
I would say 75% for me, if the food & cocktails are good, then all the better.

But very few new places have that magic, isn't that what we are really here for on TC?
Drinks are a part of it, but not the main focus.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 6:09 pm   Permalink

OK One other thing--why does everyone automatically assume this thing isn't going to look good, just because it's temporary? It might be friggin AWESOME! And then again it might not be. But you don't know until you know. If it's good, it's good, period.

I realize it's so much easier to rip on it from 2000 miles away and 2 months before it opens than to hold the thought in your head that maybe someone, somewhere is doing something enjoyable without consulting the high priests of goddamn Tiki Central.

Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 6:13 pm   Permalink

Yes, preservation is important. But it's a whole lot easier to do if the old places can make a good drink. Eye candy alone is not going to hold the attention of people outside do this forum. It's why Mai Kai lives and Bahooka is dead.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 6:15 pm   Permalink

Somebody called me....?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation