FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Upcoming Movies I want to see!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Upcoming Movies I want to see!
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-13 1:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-11 15:26, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

...but "Pacfic Rim" may be the winner we are hoping it is, we will find out this weekend.

OK ATP, being a semi Tokusatsu nerd, I shelled out the clams for "Pacific Rim". I was especially interested in what director (and Kaiju fanboy) Guillermo del Toro's take on the genre would be.

It was interesting in spots, but what killed it for me was the bombastic use of CGI. So much "cut", "cut", "cut" in the editing of the scenes. And as with all the other summer "tentpole" movies, I felt like I was trapped inside a video game. CGI is really becoming a crutch for good story telling. Also CGI looks so much like... CGI.

Give me the physicality of stunt men in rubber monster/robot suits wrestling and crashing through balsa wood cities any day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_CAZS8wiDY

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-07-13 13:11 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-13 1:42 pm   Permalink

I thought "Pacfic Rim" was a surfing movie?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-13 3:14 pm   Permalink

Too much CGI just sucks. "Transformers" is perfect example. So much on the screen, frenetic pace, all noise and mayhem. I couldn't even tell what was going on most of the time. How can you be engaged when you don't know what's going on? Check out the 2009 film "Moon" if you want to see excellent storytelling and see what can be done with a very limited budget. I think huge budgets stifle creativity. Film should be about the story and the characters and the acting. Remember that the best scene in "Jaws" didn't have 'Bruce' the shark in it but rather was just Robert Shaw, a wonderful actor (RIP), and the Indianapolis speech.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-13 3:17 pm   Permalink

And do you want to see my scar?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-13 3:27 pm   Permalink

Mary Ellen Moffat. She broke my heart.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-13 3:44 pm   Permalink

There was a time when movies had stories and it mattered who's ass was on the screen!

YouTube: Idiocracy speech (Warning: Politically Incorrect language)

Actually, the fictional "Ass" movie in Idiocracy had a better story than most CGI based movies today.

[ This Message was edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2013-07-13 17:20 ]

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-13 7:56 pm   Permalink

Yes, I also was a little disappointed in Pacific Rim. I don't mind CGI if done right but most of the CGI Monster/robot fighting was at night, close and blurry. Trying to save money I guess with these CGI short cuts. Good Science fiction is for all ages and ageless. This film was made for 14 year old boys in 2013. I'm not 14 so I was disappointed. As suspected the Japanese style robots were a rip off Gundam Wing anime series. Now that would make a great CGI movie-wake up Hollywood!

I really went to see if any Kaiju would destroy any Pacific Hub islands not just Pacific Rim coastal cities. South Seas Cinema is full of weird monsters, killer trees and mushrooms and so for some morbid reason I love to see Giant monsters or end of the world disasters destroy a Paradisiacal isle - the ultimate irony. See classic Godzilla or Mothra films or 2012 (Waikiki is destroyed by Diamond head erupting) American Godzilla (the giant gecko tramps though Tahiti), Battleship (like Pearl Harbor but instead of Japanese it's an Alien attack on Pearl and it's surrounds), Day After Tomorrow (Hawaii gets wiped out by a killer hurricane) and the newest Godzilla who takes a Waikiki vacay. Ha! Out next year. Anyway only mention of Pacific Hub is the rift the monsters are coming from and that the Human piloted robots (Jaegers) are (according to the computer graphics every where) headquartered in three places (Alaska, Hong Kong and Honolulu) of course only the first two HQs were filmed not Honolulu. No wonder the movie sucked! Just kidding - home boy prejudices.

Finally the Monsters reminded me of Axora on Dexter's Laboratory which on the same episode had Tiki Torch a superhero from Justice Friends. Isn't there a thread for Tiki super heroes, hope he's included. Anyway del Toro must of been influenced by this cartoon. I stand corrected this is a film not for 14 yr. old boys but for 10 year old boys who watch Dexter's Lab.

Kaiju from Dexter's Laboratory:

Tiki Torch superhero:

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 5:16 pm   Permalink

I always wondered why a Tiki inspired monster never showed up in all of the Tokusatsu (Japanese live-action Sci-Fi) films and TV shows of the 1960's. It's not like the Japanese didn't appreciate that South Seas pagan idol aesthetic (i.e. Mothra Island). Some of those wacky Kaiju designs were very Jack Kirby-esque and we know "The King" loved his Moai monsters.

Here's a
recent design that might not be good classic Tiki-style but I think is pretty cool Kaiju-style...

Just food for thought in anticipation of next year's Godzilla-themed Tiki Oasis.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 5:58 pm   Permalink

So we kidnapped Doug & saw Pacific Rim, It was better then most of the other summer movies so far
but I understand your guys criticism, it is much better then any the Transformer movie
but I have to be a little less hard on the CGI aspects of the movie since how can you do
all the battle scenes otherwise, even the last few Japanese Kaiju movies are using CGI.

Pacific Rim has some story issues, but no where near the poor quality (Story wise)of the last Star Trek movie.
Next up Elysium!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 11:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-16 17:58, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

...how can you do all the battle scenes otherwise, even the last few Japanese Kaiju movies are using CGI.

THIS is better than CGI !!

Also it's more "Tiki". I know I'm right.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 11:40 pm   Permalink

I went and saw Lone Ranger on Monday.
Not perfect or amazing,
But I liked it a lot, entertaining and visually appealing.

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 11:40 pm   Permalink

Red 2 looks like it will be pretty good.

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2013-07-16 23:41 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 12:40 pm   Permalink

I liked the first Red. Helen Mirren with a big 50 cal what's not to like?

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 1:18 pm   Permalink

Steven Spielberg and George Lucas believe that the movie industry will experience a financial collapse because of it's emphasis on big budget special effects saturated movies.

Motley Fool: Is Steven Spielberg Right About an Imminent Movie Industry Meltdown?

However, some believe that plots in movies overrated

YouTube: SCTV-Farm Film Report

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 10:56 am   Permalink

Check out this new trailer for "Gravity"
from Alfonso Cuaron....

http://youtu.be/C4pcg7bXgmU

Extra clip: http://youtu.be/ZV-UEca2W9U

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-24 11:28 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation