FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food How to Shape Your Meat?
How to Shape Your Meat?
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-08 3:14 pm   Permalink

I want an appropriate entre to serve at the Headhunter Harbor (thank you Capt Falernum for the name). Like some sort of little shrunken heads made of meat Seems that carving heads out of a pork loin would be tedious and I'm not sure pork carves all that well. Could make a press mold for patties with a low relief impression on them. How about grinding your own Teriyaki/Ginger/Pork or Chicken sausage, placing it in a (clean) pantyhose foot, molding or shaping it, steam cook it to set the shape, removing the pantyhose, then smoke or grill it?! Maybe a 2 piece ceramic mold to stuff sausage into and bake? Could be held together with silicone bands, they will withstand oven temps.

Any suggestions?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 3:21 pm   Permalink

You are not making it sound very appetizing, Mike.....
and isn't "Meat Shaping" a private matter?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 6:26 pm   Permalink

No suggestions but it sounds interesting and you always make things happen in an interesting way. good luck.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 8:38 pm   Permalink

How about stuffed bell peppers? I've seen some pretty muppet-ish faces made out of orange and red bell peppers. You can stuff them with a nice ginger/pork sausage which will have the added benefit of looking a bit like brains. You could even sew up the little vegetable mouths and eyes, if you wished.

The problem with getting ground meat to hold a shape is that the fat and water loss is so variable as the meat cooks.

I've posted pictures of a chopped liver pineapple. Sculpt a chopped liver intrepid, if unfortunate, explorer if the mood strikes you. No one here will judge you (out loud).

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 9:06 pm   Permalink

I almost forgot......I got your meat........Right Here!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 9:43 pm   Permalink

Wait...
You put your meat in pantyhose?

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 9:53 pm   Permalink

You could always go the Vincent Price Shrunken Heads route and let them sit out for a month.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-09 12:38 am   Permalink

The bell pepper suggestion strikes me as the most workable. Absent that, you could make something in the meatloaf family (duly Tiki-ed) and bake them in small Halloween-type molds.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-09 07:09 am   Permalink

I must admit I was trolling for some of those comments. Thank you ATP, H10T, and Hale for not letting me down
Jokeiii, I think you are right about Greg's bell pepper idea. With some stitching for the eyes and mouth it would be suggestive of a shrunken head without being over-the-top gross. And I like stuffed bell peppers too! Thanks Hilda, I will keep you posted.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-03-09 09:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-09 07:09, MadDogMike wrote:
... without being over-the-top gross....

As in this fine meatloaf head?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coffee Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-09 10:05 am   Permalink

This time of year, they might be difficult tot find. But over the years, I've found many skull cake pans. Detail shows well with most cakes. Not so much with quick breads or meatloaf. Meatloaf more resemebled a zombie head. Might be what you're looking for.

View Profile of Coffee Pirate Send a personal message to Coffee Pirate  Email Coffee Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-09 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-09 07:09, MadDogMike wrote:
I must admit I was trolling for some of those comments. Thank you ATP, H10T, and Hale for not letting me down
Jokeiii, I think you are right about Greg's bell pepper idea. With some stitching for the eyes and mouth it would be suggestive of a shrunken head without being over-the-top gross. And I like stuffed bell peppers too! Thanks Hilda, I will keep you posted.

MDM,

Bell peppers also lend themselves to some light carving (facial features, etc.) to take the shrunken head theme. My only caveat -- and I admit it's only MINE -- is that I never, EVER garnish with anything inedible.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-09 6:57 pm   Permalink

Hakalugi, that is the grossest food thingy I have seen but I kind of like it.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-10 08:54 am   Permalink

Coffee Pirate and Jokeiii - thanks for the tips
Hakalugi - that is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen (and I work in a hospital) I mean that in the best way

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 09:25 am   Permalink

My way to go would be silicone molds.
And actually, for the opening of my home bar later this year, I may just steal your idea and make Moai Meat Balls for the PuPu.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation