FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Glitter Tiki Art
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Glitter Tiki Art
joolbait

Posted: 2013-03-08 7:30 pm   Permalink

Hi,

I'm brand spanking new to TC. I was directed to this site by my tiki supply dude. I'm working on some tiki art - here's a piece that is about half done. When it is done it will have a high gloss finish and the glitter will really sparkle. I'll be posting for sale/finished works in the Tiki Marketplace forum.

Enjoy,
Julie

View Profile of joolbait Send a personal message to joolbait      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 7:53 pm   Permalink

You are going to be popular here!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 8:00 pm   Permalink

I need one of those for my low rider bicycle..........

ATP aka Jesus Diablo

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 8:14 pm   Permalink

Welcome to the nuthouse Julie.

Duck and cover

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joolbait

Posted: 2013-03-08 8:16 pm   Permalink

Ooooh I get to be popular - awww shucks, thanks 4WDtiki

Atomic Tiki - I can do custom orders on tikis - send me a personal message if interested.

I'm also doing pineapple bowls - here are a few that are in the curing process.

Peace,
Julie

View Profile of joolbait Send a personal message to joolbait      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-08 9:21 pm   Permalink

Beautiful, you should sign up to sell at Caliente in May. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joolbait

Posted: 2013-03-08 11:35 pm   Permalink

@ Wendy, I'm on it!

Julie

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 2:04 pm   Permalink

Wow - I never even considered that there could be something more garish than garish PAINT, but you've found it!

For your reference and education, please read:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28094&forum=1

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnlyATikiLad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-12 3:02 pm   Permalink

Wow…the…er…it….looks kind of…the use of uh…really just stunning…I mean I’m stunned or just struck dumb…would love to see you push the envelope…add feathers?

View Profile of OnlyATikiLad Send a personal message to OnlyATikiLad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joolbait

Posted: 2013-03-12 3:13 pm   Permalink

Dear BigbroTiki,

I appreciate your message and respect your right to your personal opinions. I did click the link you provided and read ALL of it. I noticed that in your post you said:

" "NOTE": This thread shall be reserved for examples of classic mid-century Tikis having been painted over, and is NOT intended for the following:
A.) Garish Party City paper Tiki and other discount store Tiki art. Bad or good, it is what it is. We cannot change it, and we can bitch about it in other threads.

B.) Contemporary artists' examples, be it graphic or sculptural.

It is my hope that the wrongness of the Tiki crimes of the past will inform the artists of today to become better acquainted with a sensible use of colors in their efforts to continue the great tradition of American Tiki culture."

It seems you are mainly referring to the painting of classic mid-century tikis. I totally understand and agree about not wanting to see those vintage treasures "defaced". I sell vintage jewelry and cringe when I see contemporary artists taking apart perfectly intact and sometimes quite valuable vintage pieces to make "new" jewelry. However, it IS a free country and they can do what they want with the pieces that they own. The tikis that I am using are brand new and made in Indonesia. I am not representing them as traditional, vintage, authentic or by any other misleading descriptions.

Art is purely subjective. I'm perfectly ok with you or anyone else not liking what I do. I have had a lot of very positive response to my work. I believe there is room for everyone here - the purists, the contemporary artists and everyone in between. We can all agree to disagree.

Peace,
Joolbait

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 3:53 pm   Permalink

What some us are trying to say in as nice of a way as possible
is "There is nothing Tiki about glitter"

sure you can do what ever you want, but expect heavy criticism
because it is an affront to the Polynesian design aesthetic we are trying to preserve here.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 7:15 pm   Permalink

Maybe not a lot of tiki there. But then again, neither is a tile mosaic coffee table. Heck, I don't think those Pacific islanders had any glazes that weren't earthones back in the BC.

The use of those crazy bright colors look Bahamian / Caribbean to me.

[ This Message was edited by: Philot 2013-03-12 19:16 ]

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joolbait

Posted: 2013-03-12 7:17 pm   Permalink

Hey Tiki Folks,

I was directed to this site by a tiki person who knew what I was up to with the glitter - so I assumed (wrongly) I was in the right place - well you know what they say about assuming... Before posting, I made sure to read all the rules about what was proper and what was not. What I failed to read was the section about "Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop" that explained what this site was about. After reading Atomic Tiki Punk's post about this site being about preservation, I delved further into this site and found that info and realized this was not the place for me. So, while I do have strong convictions and believe in standing up for myself, I also have no problem admitting when I am wrong. Soooooo - I will leave you to your Tiki-ness and take my glittery self elsewhere. By the way, I don't just do tikis, I glitter all kinds of things and can be found at glitterpopart.com

Peace,
Joolbait

[ This Message was edited by: joolbait 2013-03-12 19:21 ]

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 7:55 pm   Permalink

Looks like some cool Doug Horne glitter collaborations going on there:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 8:33 pm   Permalink

joolbait, I hope you stay for the "Tiki" you are certainly welcome on TC
if you go to "Tiki Caliente" you will see what I mean, Tiki people are good people

We are also passionate about what Tiki means to us
and I am afraid glitter coated Tikis are not it.

Like I always say "Assumption is the cream in the devils coffee"
but you are learning already & I think you will like the cocktails

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation