FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Glitter Tiki Art
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Glitter Tiki Art
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-12 8:47 pm   Permalink

I have been watching this thread from the beginning and I have to say I am impressed with the restraint shown. It re-affirms my faith that TC can be a kinder, gentler place

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 9:20 pm   Permalink

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH SNAP. THAT WAS AWESOME!
You guys sent that newbie packin'!!! I am crying tears of laughter out of my eyes right now.
Oh that was so hilarious! That girl paints with glitter! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!! I hope she doesn't come back.
She tried to slip in all sneaky and boy you got her. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!
Hilarious dudes! Thank Tiki the Tiki police were ON it! Hella dude!

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 08:14 am   Permalink

Look, I have said this again and again regarding my opinions about good or bad Tiki here: Everybody can take it or leave it. The intent is not to send anybody packing, but to make people aware that there is a context and quality to Tiki art that makes it unique, and not a free for all.

Where else can that be pointed out if not on this site? And what more do people have to offer than sarcasm or complaining about the "Tiki police" when that happens: Where are the intelligent and informed arguments that would make one re-consider one's philosophy? As long as I don't hear any better ideas about why the term "Tiki" should be all-inclusive of all and anything done out there, I will remind folks of what drew me to Tiki and inspired two books on the subject that drew thousands to it in return.

In fact, the most intelligent response came from joolbait herself: She actually took the time to read and comprehend the lengthy "Unfortunate paint job" thread, and the "What TC is about" section, and responded in a very sensitive and respectful manner - because she saw that there was thought and reason in the arguments there.

Unfortunately she concluded that this site is about the preservation of the style only, but that is because she is new to the genre and has not seen the plethora of NEW cool Tiki art that has been produced by many many inspired artists since the beginning of the revival. She would have seen that Tiki today can be about fun AND cultural context at the same time.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-03-13 10:16 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-13 08:23 am   Permalink

joolbait the guys are having a lot of fun with you. Some didn't like that I did monsters for my thread but came around to liking them in the end. Tiki Farm has monsters, robots, space ships, you name it. Tikis are both a serious art form and a lot of fun. You are in the fun category. Keep doing what you love and enjoy. I hope to meet you at Caliente. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 08:24 am   Permalink

what can we say about Crazy Al's velvet covered tiki ??

i guess it's a matter of skill, context and talent - i know that if crazy all showed up with glitter coated tikis at tiki oasis, everyone would be pissing themselves trying to buy one. I know i would.... why, because Al is a skilled crafstman, and his work is in the proper context. These particular pineapples and indonesian mask don't appeal to me, with or without the glitter on them. doesn't mean they are bad or that they are not art, it's just not my thing.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 09:03 am   Permalink

Here's a possible cultural context from the Exotica genre

Typsy, if Al would have used glitter on his stuff, I would have not liked it any better. That people would have bought that stuff is a whole different matter. Not all that people buy is good art, and they fall for the Bling factor quite easily. That's why there is the need for people like me that tell them - SHOW them - what is Tiki and what is not. Again, they can take it or leave it.

The choice of a cheap import import mask from Indonesia certainly did not help matters, for anybody that is into Tiki such hacked wood represents the lowest form of the style on the Tiki totem pole. But then, what should she have used...thrift stores don't have anything Tiki anymore, and as she herself points out, a cool vintage Tiki would have made it worse.

The simple fact is that in my opinion, the combination of cheap import mask (bad) and glitter (bad) does not add up to a good.
I think her conclusion that her personal style of art just does not fit the the Tiki genre was very pragmatic and on the money.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 09:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-12 14:04, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow - I never even considered that there could be something more garish than garish PAINT, but you've found it!

For your reference and education, please read:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28094&forum=1

How have I never seen that thread? Thanks Sven!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 12:45 pm   Permalink

I dunno- i still think a crazy al tiki covered in black glitter to resemble lava, would be pretty cool. maybe not classic tiki, but an excellent piece of low brow art to add to my collection..... maybe i'll just make my own and save everyone the trouble.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 3:42 pm   Permalink

Those Doug Horne tikis all glittered up are rad.

I am not a fan of Doug's work at all but I would have one of those glittered masks in my bar.

The -never- ending- annoying- What is tiki? Argument is the #1 reason people (well expect those who think this site is their personal blog) don't post on here anymore.

Glad folks like MP and Buzzy are tired of the same crap too.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 4:38 pm   Permalink

i will never understand why people get bent out of shape about this - and supposedly have abandoned Tiki Central. They must have been here for something else. There are some clear guidelines laid down by Hanford (the founder) for this site:

>>"Tiki Central is a place to celebrate the classic Tiki Bars of the mid-century and the design aesthetic they established. This movement grew in popularity after World War II when America had a new fascination with the South Seas and Hawaii. Tiki Bars sought to bring an idealized tropical paradise into the concrete jungle of the Modern World. Very little of it was genuine -- born mostly out of the likes of Hollywood art directors and modern architects -- but it all seemed real to a then-naïve public’s eye. The Tiki style started in bars and restaurants but soon spilled over into all forms of popular culture, including music, food, dress, TV and movies, and other forms of architecture.

The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up.<<

Let me re-iterate: "We're here to discuss....HOW TO CREATE AND INFLUENCE NEW TIKI THAT ISN'T GENERIC, WATERED DOWN, OR MISGUIDED<<

Are those guidelines wrong? If you do not agree with them, why join Tiki Central - if it pisses you off when these things ARE discussed? Lookey here: If you would have a site about ART DECO, and somebody brings in a cheap black plastic ashtray with silver and gold glitter glued on it saying " I just made this wonderful Art Deco ashtray", and someone would respond "This is not really befitting of the style" - where is that "crap"?

All I am saying is just that: "This does not fit the style". What is wrong with that?

And: EVERYBODY IS FREE TO BUY ALL THE GLITTER TIKIS THEY LOVE AND WANT! You are your own taste's keeper! Stage "Book of Tiki" book burnings! Start your own "Bad Tiki Taste" movement"!

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-13 16:38, bigbrotiki wrote:

And: EVERYBODY IS FREE TO BUY ALL THE GLITTER TIKIS THEY LOVE AND WANT! You are your own taste's keeper! Stage "Book of Tiki" book burnings! Start your own "Bad Tiki Taste" movement"!

SEND THEM ALL TO ME, I WILL BURN THEM FOR YOU!
AND SEND YOUR TIKI MODERN TOO!
AND YOUR MUGS!

IT'S GOING TO BE A REALLY HOT FIRE, I SWEAR THE MUGS WILL BURN.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 6:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-13 15:42, SandraDee wrote:
Those Doug Horne tikis all glittered up are rad.

I am not a fan of Doug's work at all but I would have one of those glittered masks in my bar.

The -never- ending- annoying- What is tiki? Argument is the #1 reason people (well expect those who think this site is their personal blog) don't post on here anymore.

Glad folks like MP and Buzzy are tired of the same crap too.

1. You like them? WTF!

2.I guess you don't have issue with someone taking an artists work
and destroying the artists vision by covering it with glitter or anything else for that matter?

3. You have already said over & over again, "Tiki is what you make it" which tells me you don't get it at all.
Is it not "you" that has made TC your personal "Show & Tell" blog!

4. It was Buzzy that pointed out & posted the picture of Doug's mask getting the glitter treatment
I am pretty sure he was not condoning it.....I am not sure if MPs post was serious or joking around
but since he is one of the best artist on TC he is entitled to say whatever he wants, yet I don't think he was condoning
the "Glitter Art" ether, why don't we let him speak for himself.

5. Glitter is not Tiki!!!!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 11:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Glitter is not Tiki!!!!

GARY is utterly offended by such a BOLD STATEMENT!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 11:19 pm   Permalink

6. Gary Glitter is not Tiki!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 03:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-13 23:19, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
6. Gary Glitter is not Tiki!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation