FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Glitter Tiki Art
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Glitter Tiki Art
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 11:30 am   Permalink

Thank God nothing from the 40's-50's-60' had any glitter on it. Oh wait, it did.

its ART for cripes sake.... if you dont like it move on. No one said anything about how ART has to be EXACTLY the same as it was back in the day. I dont care how many books one has written on the topic, to say that someone elses ART does belong is more than a little over the line.

seriously folks? this place has gone around the bend.

Scaring people away from the site because one doesnt like their ART? extremely poor form.

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-07 11:36 ]

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 4:27 pm   Permalink

Glitter is not Art & I question any ones taste who thinks it is & again what is wrong with criticism?

when did it become a bad thing? and how is it better to offer a disingenuous "Nice work"
comment when you don't mean it?

Especially if you post something on an open forum, you would be a complete dolt
not to expect any criticism whatsoever.

Bottom line if you can't take it, don't post it!
for the record I think joolbait did an admiral job dealing with it.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 8:45 pm   Permalink

Glitter is not Art & I question any ones taste who thinks it is.....

wow... and here I was thinking that when anyone painted something, whether or not the paint contains glitter or metal flake, that it constituted "art"... whether or not one likes it is another question. Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. I'll be sure to check with you in the future as to whether or not something is "art" or not.

the pomposity exhibited in your statement is staggering. no wonder people have chose to leave this forum. Aloha spirit indeed.

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-07 20:49 ]

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-07 9:29 pm   Permalink

Sue Zola glitter art. suezola.com

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 9:36 pm   Permalink

Well of course glitter is art but is it really "Tiki art" based on TC's mission statement and charters ??...

"Were here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isnt generic, watered down, or misguided."

"Its not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations."

"It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it."

Isn't expressing an OPINION of whether said art is true to the spirit of good Tiki-style what an Internet DISCUSSION board is supposed to be about ??

Otherwise this just become "Arts & Crafts, Show & Tell" Central.

Right ?

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 9:45 pm   Permalink

its hilarious... the midcentury modern tiki movement is a bastardization of the religious icons of an ancient culture... making them into mugs, putting them on shirts and such... but if you paint one using a certain kind of paint? THATS GOING TOOOO FAR!!!! Seriously? Wow.

other artist here work in media that you dont see in the history books... lucite tikis, digital ink, styles that didnt exist in the mid century, but they are beloved and people pay HUNDREDS for their prints, THOUSANDS for their originals and everyone here on TC fawns over them like they are rock stars... woe be to them if they ever do anything that has some metallic paint in it... thats just over the line.

its just preposterous.

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-07 21:48 ]

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-07 9:46 pm   Permalink

I'm sorry for the derailment, John-O!

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 10:20 pm   Permalink

I suggest it's NOT just the fact that glitter was used on a Tiki, but that it was used on Asian import tiki knockoff, and then glitter was applied in a home-crafter Bedazzler way.
It sent a bad tiki over the edge.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 12:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-07 20:45, Choptop wrote:
Glitter is not Art & I question any ones taste who thinks it is.....

wow... and here I was thinking that when anyone painted something, whether or not the paint contains glitter or metal flake, that it constituted "art"... whether or not one likes it is another question. Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. I'll be sure to check with you in the future as to whether or not something is "art" or not.

the pomposity exhibited in your statement is staggering. no wonder people have chose to leave this forum. Aloha spirit indeed.

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-07 20:49 ]

It sounds like you also can't deal with criticism as to your "personalizing" your message in the form of an attack
instead of offering a valid counter point, also you did not address the main point of of my post.

Sorry but I don't recognize glitter as an art form or viable media for Art, maybe as Super Fun Craft Time, sure.
but until you can point out to me a great Artist using it, say like van Gogh, Gauguin, Bacon, Dali etc.
you don't have an argument with legs.

And this still is only "my" opinion and could not care less if you agree or not.
so I have no need to attack you for yours.

Sorry to have threatened your world view, yet I am amazed at how easy it is to do so?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 06:01 am   Permalink

the problem I have with it is several self appointed lords telling the rest of us what is and isnt "art". and to say that its only "art" if some past master had worked in the media or used a particular kind of paint is pretty ludicrous. Thanks, now I no longer have to worry about your self appointed status as arbiter of what is and what isnt "art".

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 07:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 00:56, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Sorry but I don't recognize glitter as an art form or viable media for Art, maybe as Super Fun Craft Time, sure.
but until you can point out to me a great Artist using it, say like van Gogh, Gauguin, Bacon, Dali etc.
you don't have an argument with legs.

Just to be the Devil's Advocate.....
i will mention ONE great artist...Contemporary...that DOES use glitter in her pieces
Camille Rose Garcia

She uses Black glitter in her backgrounds and the effect is PERFECT for the piece...

Face it Folks.... Once the Kustom Kulture movement seeped into Tiki
there has been a LOT more so-called Tiki offenses...
Tikis with Flames,Tikis in HotRods,pinstriping,etc...
This gearhead art movement appears to have absorbed Tikis into their dialogue
sometimes with disastrous results...certainly not enough great examples to validate the amount they use....
But when an art movement is based on a limited amount of icons
(ie: cars/girls/rat-Fink style monsters/Tattoo iconography)
Artists will find other subject that overlaps and fits into their genre...
in order to liven up or add to that art movement's dialogue...
Tiki happened to be one of these subjects because of the time frame....
World War 2 vets returning home from the Pacific campaign
brought their hand-carved Tiki tourist fare home to decorate their home bars
to emulate the Trader (fill in name here) restaurants and bars on the Mainland
in Southern Cal,the kids of these fellows were into surfing and cars
and of course...the downstairs ManSpace/bars their fathers built...

Glitter and Pin-striping were birthed from the whole Drag /kustom kulture scene
and it was only a matter of time before it seeped into the poly-pop movement...

While a glitter/candy-coated Tiki would be acceptable at any Car Show oriented event
it's not the kind of dialogue the Poly-pop movement needs
because it was inspired by another movement and muddies the water..

Saying all that however
One has to look at kitsch in context...
50's 60's 70's tikistyle embraced kitsch
especially in Home bars
kitsch is America
kitsch is Tiki
Almost like comparing the maikai to somebody's basement Tiki Bar

and doesn't time give that patina of validation to kitsch?
old kitsch is cool-tho it probably didn't appear so at the time...

i think the main problem is that somebody was asleep at the wheel and
crashed two Art genres together when nobody was looking...
and now the poly-pop purists scratch their heads and wonder what happened to their scene?

While a lot of us artists who delve into Tiki try to keep the poly-Pop/Tiki movement pure
there's always room for experimentation,if done with knowledge and skill...
It's an artist's job to challenge and transform
it's just a very narrow tightrope
and most of us fall off...

Disney is to blame as well
and the whole Southern California Disney and the Surf HotRod scene
had a large part in blurring the lines...

Things evolve and devolve
it's a fact.
a sad fact
but a fact nonetheless....

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(an ever evolving site-so visit often!)
I'm on FaceBook Too!Look me UP,folks!

[ This Message was edited by: little lost tiki 2013-07-08 08:28 ]

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 07:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 07:06, little lost tiki wrote:

LOTS OF STUFF THAT WOULD BE ANNOYING IF I LEFT IT ALL IN MY POST

Well said, LLT. Thanks for taking the time to type it.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 09:57 am   Permalink

Re: Glitter != art
Well, that certainly is
still up to debate

And I thought the whole MCM Poly-pop thing was ALL about "sophisticated moderns" appropriating "primitive" iconography to exoticacize their leisureville recreational pods. Given that, no one has any leg to stand on to complain about anyone wanting to hybridize the form in any damn direction they feel appropriate.

There's a spectrum going all the way from "this was carved with stone tools by some guy in New Guinea in 1763" to the plastic party city tiki in Caribbean colors by your neighbor's pool bar. To cling to only the traditional forms is to invite stagnation.

Now, if you're carving coconut palms with shark-tooth saws, I might cede that what you're doing could be considered more genuinely "tiki".

Anyhow, Choptop, tiki, and art have as many definitions as people. Don't let the faux purists discourage you.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 10:09 am   Permalink

Thank you to linking to For the Love of God. Love that piece, or rather, the fuckery surrounding it, the artist, and what is art?

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 12:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 06:01, Choptop wrote:
the problem I have with it is several self appointed lords telling the rest of us what is and isnt "art". and to say that its only "art" if some past master had worked in the media or used a particular kind of paint is pretty ludicrous. Thanks, now I no longer have to worry about your self appointed status as arbiter of what is and what isnt "art".

Choptop, I am one man with one opinion, why are you so threatened by that?
and to the point you have made it very personal, I am not talking for the world, nor Tiki Central
I am not the "Art Police" and I am just talking for myself.

Do you always go ballistic when someone does not share your point of view?
seriously, go glitter up your entire house, no one here is saying you can't
but are you complaining that we don't have the right to not like it? or voice that point of view?

If someone did a custom "Glitter" paint job on a 1957 Panhead (and many folks do) I would criticize it, so I am purist!
get over it already.

And to quote an old Biker buddy of mine:
"If you shit your pants everytime someone says something you don't like, you will go broke buying new underwear"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation