FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Creating Tiki Ľ Ľ Other Crafts Ľ Ľ Glitter Tiki Art
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Glitter Tiki Art
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 1:01 pm   Permalink

And Kinny, great contrasting point you made!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 12:50, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

And to quote an old Biker buddy of mine:
"If you shit your pants everytime someone says something you don't like, you will go broke buying new underwear"

HAH!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I am not the "Art Police".

Ha. That's funny. Because you have never been critical on other members work before.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 3:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 15:19, swizzle wrote:
Quote:

I am not the "Art Police".

Ha. That's funny. Because you have never been critical on other members work before.

Like that is a bad thing?
Seriously Swizzle, how is criticism a bad thing?
or do you really think the world would be a better place if all everyone did was pat you on the back
for everything you do? & try for once to not let your dislike of me, color the question.

And to be objective about it, most of my criticism here on TC is of a positive nature
you only seem to have a problem when I take issue with something & ignore it when I praise others.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 5:24 pm   Permalink

Please defer to the conversation on another thread for more details, but:

You learn nothing from only receiving vague, positive praise. Also, a lot of people who have put a lot of time in Tiki, and the Tiki Revival, disapprove of diluting of the waters, so to speak. If anyone would like specific examples, then I'd be happy to find them. But good art is good art. Bad art, bastardization of tiki, and things are that non-sequitor are what they are: not good for Tiki.

Quote:

On 2013-03-13 08:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
Look, I have said this again and again regarding my opinions about good or bad Tiki here: Everybody can take it or leave it. The intent is not to send anybody packing, but to make people aware that there is a context and quality to Tiki art that makes it unique, and not a free for all.

Where else can that be pointed out if not on this site? And what more do people have to offer than sarcasm or complaining about the "Tiki police" when that happens: Where are the intelligent and informed arguments that would make one re-consider one's philosophy? As long as I don't hear any better ideas about why the term "Tiki" should be all-inclusive of all and anything done out there, I will remind folks of what drew me to Tiki and inspired two books on the subject that drew thousands to it in return.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-03-13 10:16 ]

I'm posting that quote on every post where someone complains about people being negative about bad Tiki from here on out. How's that for you? Are any of you going to insult Sven? Tell him that he doesn't know what he's talking about? That he should be nicer and kinder? No? .....I'll wait for your reply.

Warhol just reprinted shit. Was it good? No. Was it brilliant? Yes. That's what made it good. Putting glitter on the work of others/symbols of the dilution of an already dying culture isn't good no matter how you slice it. Sorry. Get over it.

Yes, I realize the irony of preserving a bastardization of other cultures, but that's why there are those who want to preserve the original cultures, even on here.

Would you eat shit if someone served it to you if they believed they cooked a good meal? No. You wouldn't eat shit. Stop eating shit.

[Editor's note: Joolbait, I'm not comparing your glitter Tikis to shit. Just a metaphor. They're well crafted, just misguided. Sorry you got scared off. Okole Maluna!]

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-07-08 17:26 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 7:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I am one man with one opinion

That's all I'm looking for.
People who don't hang out here enough to have a feel for the board might take one's (and that's not just ATP) quick pronouncement of "that's not tiki" as some sort of hard fact rather than one person's (informed) opinion.

Poly-pop is derivative from it's very genesis. It's on like what, it's six, seventh wave now? I, for one, find it interesting to see what new interpretations people bring to the genre. Some things work, some don't.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 7:47 pm   Permalink

it smells like douche in here.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 8:06 pm   Permalink

That's the poi. Someone left it out after dinner, and it's hot out.

Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 8:46 pm   Permalink

Are any of you going to insult Sven?

if he is acting like a pain in the ass? Yes. If he is driving people away from this site by declaring what people should and shouldnt like? Yes. If he has appointed himself to tell all of the rest of us what is and isnt "tiki"? Yes. He's nothing special and doesnt get to treat people poorly any more than anyone else on this site does.

Tell him that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Yes. If he is proclaiming what is and want isnt art for everyone, then yes I will absolutely tell him he doesnt know what he's talking about. Its not up to any one person to tell another what is and isnt art. Thats the height of pomposity.

THAT is the problem here.

If everyone had stuck to the quote you posted, then there wouldnt be any problem...but thats not whats happening. You have people proclaiming themselves the arbiter of what is "tiki" and what isnt. You have people outright INSULTING others over their artwork ('that looks like a 5th graders art' and such), getting banned for it and STILL not learning a lesson. You have people proclaiming themselves arbiters of "good taste" for everyone else. You have those that think "its only art if a past master worked in the media" and other such ludicrous things. You have several people and its the SAME people over and over, berating people and causing them to leave the site...

THAT is the problem here.

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-08 20:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-08 20:53 ]

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 8:52 pm   Permalink

I like you Choptop.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 9:00 pm   Permalink

trust me... me more than anyone gets the idea of keeping an aesthetic and keeping to a certain genre... I make my living doing it... again, thats not the problem. But thats not what is going on here. More than a few people have noticed it. People have left the site because of it and not just those that get berated.

Perhaps there is a different tone and approach that can be used.

or not... if the owners of the site are happy with pissing people off and driving them away, then that must be what they want and they can let the folks that do it roam free. It will sort itself out.

enough of this discussion... I'm off to make more "art"....

i don't know art but i know what i like.... and here is a tip... I aint "wrong" about what I like.

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-08 21:02 ]

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 12:31 am   Permalink

Choptop & Swizzle, Are you unable to answer (or comprehend) my previous questions
instead of hurling insults and calling for my head? speaks volumes about you guys, doesn't it.

Just because I have an opinion you don't like, you have completely shit your pants
and if you two want to defend the "Glitter" & "Gene's iPad" threads & can't see them for the shit they are
you are (in my opinion) completely clueless.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 02:36 am   Permalink

Emphasis mine.

Tiki Central is a place to celebrate the classic Tiki Bars of the mid-century and the design aesthetic they established. This movement grew in popularity after World War II when America had a new fascination with the South Seas and Hawaii. Tiki Bars sought to bring an idealized tropical paradise into the concrete jungle of the Modern World. Very little of it was genuine -- born mostly out of the likes of Hollywood art directors and modern architects -- but it all seemed real to a then-naÔve publicís eye. The Tiki style started in bars and restaurants but soon spilled over into all forms of popular culture, including music, food, dress, TV and movies, and other forms of architecture.

The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. Weíre here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isnít generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up.

What Tiki Central Isn't
Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

Itís not about Jimmy Buffett and Parrotheads
Itís not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations
Itís not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
Itís not about Reggae
Itís not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design
Itís not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks
It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-07-09 02:50 ]

Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 07:28 am   Permalink

Choptop & Swizzle, Are you unable to answer (or comprehend) my previous questions
instead of hurling insults and calling for my head? speaks volumes about you guys, doesn't it.

wow... the only one that has insulted anyone is you... with your "a fifth grader could do better" comments. Please feel free to quote anything that I've posted that is an insult. Here is a tip... yer not going to find it.

Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 07:32 am   Permalink

how to create and influence new Tiki that isnít generic, watered down, or misguided

and here you have it. Putting paint on something is not generic... its not watered down... nor is it misguided...

no moreso than say... having a south american bird with a german accent sing about tikis... or drawing a space ship with a tiki in it... or drawing a monkey wearing a fez drinking a cocktail.... or making a tiki mug with chrome glaze on it... or making a tiki out of lucite... but none of the people that did those things got berated for doing it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation