FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Glitter Tiki Art
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Glitter Tiki Art
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 07:34 am   Permalink

and if you two want to defend the "Glitter" & "Gene's iPad" threads & can't see them for the shit they are
you are (in my opinion) completely clueless.

really? There is the insults... "its shit"... and "you are (in my opinion) completely clueless"... VERY insulting.

with any luck this kind of post would get someone here banned.

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 07:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-09 07:32, Choptop wrote:
how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided

and here you have it. Putting paint on something is not generic... its not watered down... nor is it misguided...

no moreso than say... having a south american bird with a german accent sing about tikis... or drawing a space ship with a tiki in it... or drawing a monkey wearing a fez drinking a cocktail.... or making a tiki mug with chrome glaze on it... or making a tiki out of lucite... but none of the people that did those things got berated for doing it.

Well, it would appear that we will have to agree to disagree on the matter, sir. Putting glitter on the work of other artists who have worked hard to create their own, unique styles, as well as items that are soul-less that seek to capitalize on the idea of Tiki without having any basis in the movement...that's the very basis of watered down and misguided. The generic tiki mask because it's a mask made by an importer whose sole purpose is to exploit and make money...watered down. And using the two masks that were designed by an artist whose work is all over TC, that's certainly misguided.

The Enchanted Tiki Room is part of Polynesian Pop. An original part of Polynesian Pop, which, in itself, is a co-opted version of a culture. That's what you might be missing. There's the preservation of the original cultures, and the preservation of Polynesian Pop. Polynesian Pop is both real an imagined. Mostly imagined, mind you. It drew from existing cultures to create a culture, a movement, of it's own.

Also, bad art is just bad art. Kinny provided a great example of a good use of glitter in art. Warhol used Diamond Dust. Again, whether or not Warhol is good art is up for debate (I say this being a Pittsburgh native and Warhol fan), but his use of "glitter" was inspired, not misguided.

But like I said, it would appear we don't see eye to eye on the matter. C'est la vie, I guess. Okole maluna!

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-07-09 07:50 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 07:54 am   Permalink

fair enough on the agree to disagree... after all its art and its in the eye of the beholder.

but I think perhaps you are reading tooo much into it... where has anyone said its for the "exploitation" of it... the original post wasnt about trying to sell it... it was just about "look what I made"... if you want to talk "exploitation" then we can look at someone who makes prints of a monkey wearing a fez in a tiki bar and then offers it for sale. But no one is going to say a peep about that because its from a known "artist", in fact everyone is going fawn over the print and the artist.

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 07:58 am   Permalink

Oh no, not at all. I'm merely referring to the devolution of the conversation. The original artist went back, read through the site, and decided that TC wasn't quite the place to share her work. No criticism from me of her making it. The pineapple bowls would be great at VLV or somewhere that tiki crosses paths with hotrods/retro/whatever. Excellent change bowls. And if she doesn't try to sell them, as long as she likes them, awesome. But she was definitely misguided in making them and thinking TC was the place for her work. That's all. I'm sure they'd be well received at a kitsch/hotrod event.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 09:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-09 07:54, Choptop wrote:
... if you want to talk "exploitation" then we can look at someone who makes prints of a monkey wearing a fez in a tiki bar and then offers it for sale. But no one is going to say a peep about that because its from a known "artist", in fact everyone is going fawn over the print and the artist.

Oh that artist ?? Yes I "fawn" over that artist as well. Not so much for the monkeys and fezzes, which are not my preferred Tiki iconography, but for his overall talented and varied output of work which transcends Tiki. Also he is a great friend and supporter of Tiki events, Tiki bars, and the overall So Cal Tiki community.

Yes, "artist who is not mentioned by name", I fawn you man !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-07-09 11:54 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 11:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-09 09:09, JOHN-O wrote:
I fawn you man !!

Hahahaha, brilliant John-O!

EDIT: We could be talking about quite a few artists, here, man. Let's be fair. And all the ones I can think of are awesome artists and folks.

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-07-09 11:30 ]

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-09 11:43 am   Permalink

I that guy 2!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 12:36 pm   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppSGtYTnXw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-M3bj5Ygc

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-07-09 12:40 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 1:25 pm   Permalink

Choptop, your message so far:

You like to angry post in a thread that ended 4 months previously, because no one should criticize "Glitter"

You like Glitter

You like Gene's iPad finger (Clone tool, Stamp Tool, look what I made, now let's sell it) whatever it is.

You hate "Doug Horne's" Art

You hate it when anyone has an opinion different then yours!

It is OK for you to hurl insults repeatedly at others and then shit your pants
when you perceive everything said to you as an insult in return.

you like "Circle Jerks" (not talking about the band)

ATP is not the Tiki God of everything, so ban him now!

Glitter is Tiki! but not a Fez, Monkey, Mug, Tiki Bar, or any combination of those.

Again, you like Glitter

Did I miss anything?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-07-09 1:32 pm   Permalink

It looks like everybody has had a chance to express their opinions and this thread started spinning in circles about three pages ago and isn't going anywhere. Enough already.

Let's leave it on Sven's comment:

Quote:

On 2013-03-13 08:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
Look, I have said this again and again regarding my opinions about good or bad Tiki here: Everybody can take it or leave it. The intent is not to send anybody packing, but to make people aware that there is a context and quality to Tiki art that makes it unique, and not a free for all.

Where else can that be pointed out if not on this site? And what more do people have to offer than sarcasm or complaining about the "Tiki police" when that happens: Where are the intelligent and informed arguments that would make one re-consider one's philosophy? As long as I don't hear any better ideas about why the term "Tiki" should be all-inclusive of all and anything done out there, I will remind folks of what drew me to Tiki and inspired two books on the subject that drew thousands to it in return.

In fact, the most intelligent response came from joolbait herself: She actually took the time to read and comprehend the lengthy "Unfortunate paint job" thread, and the "What TC is about" section, and responded in a very sensitive and respectful manner - because she saw that there was thought and reason in the arguments there.

Unfortunately she concluded that this site is about the preservation of the style only, but that is because she is new to the genre and has not seen the plethora of NEW cool Tiki art that has been produced by many many inspired artists since the beginning of the revival. She would have seen that Tiki today can be about fun AND cultural context at the same time.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation