FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Cement Sculpture now with some colour - go to last post to see!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Cement Sculpture now with some colour - go to last post to see!
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 04:03 am   Permalink

Gday notiki,
good to see an aussie artist making interesting stuff. i have carved some big foam moais before (6 foot) and wondered if i could render them and put them outside. Not sure about the mix though (was thinking a sticky sand-cement-bondcrete mix), and just use chicken mesh as all that fancy stuff you mention sounds pretty beyond me.
carving lightweight concrete tikis also sounds like a good project for a yard tiki... please share your lightweight mix!
Keep posting here,
cheers.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
notiki

Posted: 2013-06-03 04:45 am   Permalink

Hey thanks for the comments. A few answers and thoughts...

Red cheese wax....came from...an auction at Cheese factory! I was going to use it for some other project. Lets say it was cheap and it is fun to carve with.

Chicken wire over foam will work fine. Its just hard to manipulate the wire into the shape. If you don't need to move your 6' tiki afterwards you can use a thicker cement coating to cover any imperfections in the wire forming.

My lightweight cement uses E spheres. These are a very fine filler made from fly ash floaters. These are from a coal fired powerstation. They are little hollow balls and are light and free flowing. They are used with normal cement in place of sand. As they comprise of flyash they do react a bit with the portland and make the cement stronger over a long curing period (like years). They are an industrial material and not readily available. I also mix in tiny basalt fibers. The cement part is about 10 percent silica fume and 90 percent portland.
Its not really the stuff you get from the local hardware store. I was thinking of bagging up some of the powder so other Aussies could give my technique a try.

Cheers

View Profile of notiki Send a personal message to notiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation