FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 19 days ago; 07:56 am   Permalink

There is a cost/performance profile which these Trader Sam's drink recipes must fit into, and it's very difficult for our preferred rums to make it into a place like a theme park bar. Fortunately, as mentioned earlier, we're seeing some very good falernum and syrups being used, and that's a huge plus. But then again, the alternatives are so weak in comparison, that the beverage consultants/advisors would be hard pressed to pinch EVERY penny without a significant decrease in the desired overall guest experience. There are some thresholds below (and above) which the operators of Trader Sam's are not willing to go. So we end up with a decent balance of ingredients which remains within their desired sweet spot of offerings, and we also get some pretty unique and interesting themed atmosphere. Hardcore tiki drink hounds can drive to Aku Aku across town, or to the Mai Kai further south, if time permits.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 19 days ago; 08:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-06 20:17, wizzard419 wrote:
If you are looking for a place to get strong drinks, Disney is the wrong location.

Thanks, wiz, I will clarify that I'm not talking about strong drinks but overall quality and flavor at Sam's. They strike an interesting balance. I'll leave it up to each individual whether it's a "good" or "bad" balance. We all have different preferences. But in the end, the Sam's venues are a great place to relax and have a drink. Maybe I'll run into you there sometime. (I will NOT be the guy ordering a Captain & Coke! ha...)

I would like to see this thread expand - later when Sam's Orlando has opened - into what our favorite drinks are, and why we don't like some of the drinks on the menu.

I also would like to know who will be the first to be able to claim having drank through the entire menu. Just remember, when you're not able to drive, make sure you stumble up to the front desk and whip out your credit card and sleep it off in one of their nice bungalows. You'll get extra points in my book for doing that!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiman2001

Posted: 19 days ago; 09:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-30 17:15, finky099 wrote:
The only thing I see at the bar ALL the time is a lot of pink elephants. Parading down the bar, tiki drinks in hand (er, trunk!) Order a zombie and they come right up to you, too!

Cheers!

I had too many one time and everyone's head looked like a zombie mug. I tried to put my straw in one of the heads and got kicked out.

View Profile of tikiman2001 Send a personal message to tikiman2001  Email tikiman2001 Goto the website of tikiman2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiman2001

Posted: 19 days ago; 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-06 07:48, Tiki Mocamele wrote:
I don't want to give up my sources, but a prominent purveyor of oceanic artifacts recently told me that my order had been delayed due to (among other reasons) 3 big completed projects for [insert big company name here] in Orlando. They said that it should be open early March. I am hopeful that they were talking about Trader Sam's Grog Grotto because I will be there late March/Early April. Unless someone beats me there, I will provide a trip report with pics when I get back.

If you are referring to Oceanic Arts, yes Bob said last year they had made many things for Grog Grotto but they completed that work last year and it already shipped from Disney out in California a while ago. Disney has quite a collection of things going into Grog Grotto.

View Profile of tikiman2001 Send a personal message to tikiman2001  Email tikiman2001 Goto the website of tikiman2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 10:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-09 08:04, AceExplorer wrote:
I also would like to know who will be the first to be able to claim having drank through the entire menu.

Hello. I will be visiting upon opening to do just, that as well as grab the playlist.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 19 days ago; 11:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-09 10:56, kkocka wrote:
Hello. I will be visiting upon opening to do just, that as well as grab the playlist.

Excellent! The liver must be punished! heh...

PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 2:41 pm   Permalink

I'm excited to see if there's going to be more interactive things like they have over in Anaheim, and what their playlist will be filled with! Ooooh I'm so excited I could pee!

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 19 days ago; 4:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-09 14:41, PockyTiki wrote:
I'm excited to see if there's going to be more interactive things like they have over in Anaheim, and what their playlist will be filled with! Ooooh I'm so excited I could pee!

So... Is "playlist" new slang for a bar's drink menu? That's twice you guys have snuck that word into this thread, I figure it's fair game now to ask, heh!

PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-09 16:09, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

So... Is "playlist" new slang for a bar's drink menu? That's twice you guys have snuck that word into this thread, I figure it's fair game now to ask, heh!

I was actually talking about the music playlist....but that's a great name for a drink menu! A little punk...a little hard rock?

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 6:31 pm   Permalink

No, kkocka is talking about the actual songs played in the joint.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 6:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-09 10:56, kkocka wrote:

Keith, for real? Please do document EVERYTHING when you do.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 10:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-09 18:35, finky099 wrote:
Keith, for real? Please do document EVERYTHING when you do.

For realsies! I got the solo travel blessing from the wife. I will document the hell out of as much stuff as humanly possible with my doesn't-do-it-justice Nexus 5.

Quote:

Based on what has been released from concept art, and lots of discussion, I would assume something to this effect:

-The Uh Oa (the Goddess of Disaster) on the wall will come to life upon ordering the drink of the same name.
-Some sort of pearl/clamshell animation, as there is a pearl-based drink name as well as pearl mugs, and a giant clamshell.
-Some sort of reaction to ordering a Nautilus, a group drink served in a replica of The Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
xtine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 18 days ago; 06:17 am   Permalink

Holy crap I can't wait! I will be there in a couple of weeks but again in November. Hoping by the fall it will be open!

View Profile of xtine Send a personal message to xtine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 18 days ago; 06:51 am   Permalink

ohh you're right. The Uh-Oa concept art totally makes sense now.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation